Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Comedy and Politics (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/comedy-politics-297899/)

Yung Dum 09-07-2019 10:18 PM

Comedy and Politics

In my opinion, comedy and politics don’t mix well. Two of the best examples are Bill Maher and Dennis Miller. Both are brilliant comedians when they’re not being political (which is rare nowadays). George Carlin was possibly the greatest comedian of all. I saw his last HBO special. It was nothing but a venomous diatribe with absolutely no humor. He was just an angry old man.
Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert used to be funny, but they’ve let politics ruin their acts. Jimmy Fallon never had an act to begin with. The great comedians were very rarely political and when they were, it wasn’t partisan. Bob Hope and Johnny Carson come to mind here. An occasional jab at a politician not meant to be hurtful. Leno and Letterman also fell into this category.
Some of my favorite comedians were Joan Rivers, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg, Gary Shandling and Red Skelton. All non-political and very funny. Where have all the great ones gone?

manaboutown 09-07-2019 10:49 PM

I observed Joan Rivers at LAX a few years ago as we awaited boarding a plane with a windshield issue headed for Heathrow. Ultimately the plane had to be replaced. She revealed herself a self centered raving maniac and a vicious old bat.

Yung Dum 09-07-2019 10:52 PM

Johnny Carson was also not a very nice person, but both were great comedians.

Two Bills 09-08-2019 04:02 AM

If you want to see a really crazy, unbelievably funny comedy show from Britain, watch our Brexit parliamentary broadcasts! :1rotfl:

JimJohnson 09-08-2019 04:10 AM

Imitating political figures Is my favorite form of comedy. And it is so easy.

Madelaine Amee 09-08-2019 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1679482)
If you want to see a really crazy, unbelievably funny comedy show from Britain, watch our Brexit parliamentary broadcasts! :1rotfl:

I have a life long friend in London who used to ding me all the time about American politics, now I am enjoying your news!!!!

Two Bills 09-08-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1679500)
I have a life long friend in London who used to ding me all the time about American politics, now I am enjoying your news!!!!

Do not know how bad it looks to outsiders, but myself, and all the people I talk too, cannot believe the inneptitude of our decision makers.
The lunatics have truly taken over the asylum!

retiredguy123 09-08-2019 07:22 AM

I once attended a training class led by an Army officer. He said that no one was allowed to tell any jokes in class because all jokes make fun of someone. I thought that was an interesting opinion.

Martian 09-08-2019 07:24 AM

I expect a persons feeling about the "humor" level of comedy is directly related to the amount you agree with what the comedian is saying.

Martian 09-08-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1679519)
I once attended a training class led by an Army officer. He said that no one was allowed to tell any jokes in class because all jokes make fun of someone. I thought that was an interesting opinion.

Very true, and in general jokes are about things that are in fact not funny - slap stick humor is an example.

Jokes about old people for example, "How is an old person like a slinky? Answer, you can't help but laugh when you see one tumble down the stairs."... it contains everything bad about humor - it focuses on something not uncommon about a individual or definable group, it involves danger and potential injury, and something you would not like to have happen to you or someone you know.

Thank is what we call humor.

tophcfa 09-08-2019 08:31 AM

I agree with the OP, I used to really enjoy watching the tonight show with both Carson and Lenno, but I can't stand watching Jimmy Fallon. I do suspect the writers of Saturday Night Live are licking their chops over a possibly Trump/Warren showdown as that would open up lots of good comic opportunities if they can stick to comedy and stay neutral on politics.

Martian 09-08-2019 08:37 AM

I would be interested in anything indicating a persons political leaning and their dislike of political humor.

BobnBev 09-08-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martian (Post 1679523)
Very true, and in general jokes are about things that are in fact not funny - slap stick humor is an example.

Jokes about old people for example, "How is an old person like a slinky? Answer, you can't help but laugh when you see one tumble down the stairs."... it contains everything bad about humor - it focuses on something not uncommon about a individual or definable group, it involves danger and potential injury, and something you would not like to have happen to you or someone you know.

Thank is what we call humor.

Now THAT is funny, and I am an old person.:clap2:

Martian 09-08-2019 05:46 PM

Uh Oh.. 10.... 9.... 8....

Martian 09-08-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobnBev (Post 1679661)
Now THAT is funny, and I am an old person.:clap2:

Yup, that is my point. Humor is typically about things that are not funny.