Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Unwanted dinner guest > Very large alligator! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/unwanted-dinner-guest-very-large-alligator-303892/)

dadspet 03-16-2020 12:29 AM

Unwanted dinner guest > Very large alligator!

4 Attachment(s)
We had a lot of excitement today. A friend called me and told me not to go out the front door.
A very large alligator was walking up to our front door. It must be after the chicken my wife Joan has been testing for a few days for our dinner party on Monday with several friends. Several people way to close taking photos but they sure jumped when the gator turned around and started to come back after he couldn't get in the house.

:pray::pray:

I Tried to add a short video but it didn't make if for some reason. More to follow if I can figure it out.

ArmyBrat 03-16-2020 12:48 AM

Wow...which village are you in? He sure knew where the front door was! Stay safe.

Two Bills 03-16-2020 05:14 AM

He is either looking for love, or seeing if you had any spare toilet rolls!

polaris 03-16-2020 05:25 AM

Yikes! I would not be prepared for that if I opened the front door.

Chatbrat 03-16-2020 06:08 AM

If there is that big a gator in a neighborhood pond, you should contact animal control & get it relocated, before something bad happens--it may be looking for food because some idiot maybe feeding it

Bay Kid 03-16-2020 07:12 AM

He thought the dinner party was today.

asianthree 03-16-2020 07:21 AM

Or social distance from the gang in the pond

rjn5656 03-16-2020 07:33 AM

They don't get relocated. They are killed.

karostay 03-16-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1728211)
If there is that big a gator in a neighborhood pond, you should contact animal control & get it relocated, before something bad happens--it may be looking for food because some idiot maybe feeding it

If you value the alligators life don't attract un wanted attention.
I believe
Fla wildlife regulations state
Alligators over 6 feet can't be Re located

TexaninVA 03-16-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadspet (Post 1728176)
We had a lot of excitement today. A friend called me and told me not to go out the front door.
A very large alligator was walking up to our front door. It must be after the chicken my wife Joan has been testing for a few days for our dinner party on Monday with several friends. Several people way to close taking photos but they sure jumped when the gator turned around and started to come back after he couldn't get in the house.

:pray::pray:

I Tried to add a short video but it didn't make if for some reason. More to follow if I can figure it out.

Gator seems disappointed you didn't welcome him into your house

dewilson58 03-16-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyBrat (Post 1728177)
Wow...which village are you in? He sure knew where the front door was! Stay safe.

Collier.

Plenty of stupid people following it.

polaris 03-16-2020 08:00 AM

I agree. I just looked up info on the Florida Fish and Wildlife site, Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program. It states they’ll deal with nuisance alligators 4 feet or longer and that they don’t relocate them. They are killed. Also reminds folks that feeding alligators is illegal and you must keep your distance. (I’d post the link but I’m new so any post from me with a link gets marked as spam.)
Good info to know as a newcomer here.

Two Bills 03-16-2020 08:45 AM

He is just lookin for a mate. 'tis nearly that time of year.

If you want him to live, do not report as a nuisance.

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-16-2020 09:00 AM

He seemed to be heading directly for that chair on the front porch. My guess - he just wanted to sit down after lugging all that weight to your property.

Meanwhile - just because it's an animal, doesn't mean it should be allowed to live. It is a deadly animal that, if it doesn't get its food naturally, will eventually lose its fear of people and start considering them as a food source.

If it's coming to your front door, it's already acclimated to human presence and not likely to "not" be a nuisance, any time soon.

Two Bills 03-16-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1728315)
He seemed to be heading directly for that chair on the front porch. My guess - he just wanted to sit down after lugging all that weight to your property.

Meanwhile - just because it's an animal, doesn't mean it should be allowed to live. It is a deadly animal that, if it doesn't get its food naturally, will eventually lose its fear of people and start considering them as a food source.

If it's coming to your front door, it's already acclimated to human presence and not likely to "not" be a nuisance, any time soon.

Come on!
This is the time of year when male gators are on the move searching for mates.
They are not looking for food, they are looking for Luuuurve!
Once they have mated you will very seldom see the big boys until next mating season.
Leave them alone!