Unwanted dinner guest > Very large alligator!

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-16-2020, 12:29 AM
dadspet dadspet is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 467
Thanks: 2
Thanked 54 Times in 24 Posts
Default Unwanted dinner guest > Very large alligator!

We had a lot of excitement today. A friend called me and told me not to go out the front door.
A very large alligator was walking up to our front door. It must be after the chicken my wife Joan has been testing for a few days for our dinner party on Monday with several friends. Several people way to close taking photos but they sure jumped when the gator turned around and started to come back after he couldn't get in the house.



I Tried to add a short video but it didn't make if for some reason. More to follow if I can figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200315_161213735.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	83199   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200315_161223415_HDR.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	83200   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200315_161240968.jpg
Views:	1015
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	83201   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200315_161600125.jpg
Views:	1021
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	83202  

Last edited by dadspet; 03-16-2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: added more detail
  #2  
Old 03-16-2020, 12:48 AM
ArmyBrat ArmyBrat is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pine Hills
Posts: 3
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wow...which village are you in? He sure knew where the front door was! Stay safe.
  #3  
Old 03-16-2020, 05:14 AM
Two Bills Two Bills is online now
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,740
Thanks: 651
Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default

He is either looking for love, or seeing if you had any spare toilet rolls!
  #4  
Old 03-16-2020, 05:25 AM
polaris polaris is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 26
Thanks: 22
Thanked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Yikes! I would not be prepared for that if I opened the front door.
  #5  
Old 03-16-2020, 06:08 AM
Chatbrat Chatbrat is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 984 Times in 381 Posts
Default

If there is that big a gator in a neighborhood pond, you should contact animal control & get it relocated, before something bad happens--it may be looking for food because some idiot maybe feeding it
  #6  
Old 03-16-2020, 07:12 AM
Bay Kid's Avatar
Bay Kid Bay Kid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Posts: 3,732
Thanks: 694
Thanked 1,613 Times in 655 Posts
Default

He thought the dinner party was today.
  #7  
Old 03-16-2020, 07:21 AM
asianthree's Avatar
asianthree asianthree is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennacamp, Fernandinia 2 Frogs
Posts: 7,157
Thanks: 19
Thanked 1,097 Times in 419 Posts
Default

Or social distance from the gang in the pond
__________________
Do not worry about things you can not change
  #8  
Old 03-16-2020, 07:33 AM
rjn5656's Avatar
rjn5656 rjn5656 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,228
Thanks: 143
Thanked 396 Times in 115 Posts
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default

They don't get relocated. They are killed.
__________________
Bob anc Cheri
Upstate NY/Bonita
  #9  
Old 03-16-2020, 07:35 AM
karostay's Avatar
karostay karostay is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Conn/Maine /
Posts: 2,704
Thanks: 109
Thanked 1,275 Times in 484 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
If there is that big a gator in a neighborhood pond, you should contact animal control & get it relocated, before something bad happens--it may be looking for food because some idiot maybe feeding it
If you value the alligators life don't attract un wanted attention.
I believe
Fla wildlife regulations state
Alligators over 6 feet can't be Re located
__________________
Don't take life Too Serious ..It isn't permanent
  #10  
Old 03-16-2020, 07:47 AM
TexaninVA's Avatar
TexaninVA TexaninVA is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Village of Largo
Posts: 2,753
Thanks: 428
Thanked 878 Times in 306 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
We had a lot of excitement today. A friend called me and told me not to go out the front door.
A very large alligator was walking up to our front door. It must be after the chicken my wife Joan has been testing for a few days for our dinner party on Monday with several friends. Several people way to close taking photos but they sure jumped when the gator turned around and started to come back after he couldn't get in the house.



I Tried to add a short video but it didn't make if for some reason. More to follow if I can figure it out.
Gator seems disappointed you didn't welcome him into your house
  #11  
Old 03-16-2020, 07:54 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,748
Thanks: 490
Thanked 4,759 Times in 1,814 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBrat View Post
Wow...which village are you in? He sure knew where the front door was! Stay safe.



Collier.


Plenty of stupid people following it.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #12  
Old 03-16-2020, 08:00 AM
polaris polaris is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 26
Thanks: 22
Thanked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I agree. I just looked up info on the Florida Fish and Wildlife site, Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program. It states they’ll deal with nuisance alligators 4 feet or longer and that they don’t relocate them. They are killed. Also reminds folks that feeding alligators is illegal and you must keep your distance. (I’d post the link but I’m new so any post from me with a link gets marked as spam.)
Good info to know as a newcomer here.
  #13  
Old 03-16-2020, 08:45 AM
Two Bills Two Bills is online now
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,740
Thanks: 651
Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default

He is just lookin for a mate. 'tis nearly that time of year.

If you want him to live, do not report as a nuisance.
  #14  
Old 03-16-2020, 09:00 AM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,686
Thanks: 3,504
Thanked 4,701 Times in 1,450 Posts
Default

He seemed to be heading directly for that chair on the front porch. My guess - he just wanted to sit down after lugging all that weight to your property.

Meanwhile - just because it's an animal, doesn't mean it should be allowed to live. It is a deadly animal that, if it doesn't get its food naturally, will eventually lose its fear of people and start considering them as a food source.

If it's coming to your front door, it's already acclimated to human presence and not likely to "not" be a nuisance, any time soon.
  #15  
Old 03-16-2020, 09:07 AM
Two Bills Two Bills is online now
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,740
Thanks: 651
Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
He seemed to be heading directly for that chair on the front porch. My guess - he just wanted to sit down after lugging all that weight to your property.

Meanwhile - just because it's an animal, doesn't mean it should be allowed to live. It is a deadly animal that, if it doesn't get its food naturally, will eventually lose its fear of people and start considering them as a food source.

If it's coming to your front door, it's already acclimated to human presence and not likely to "not" be a nuisance, any time soon.
Come on!
This is the time of year when male gators are on the move searching for mates.
They are not looking for food, they are looking for Luuuurve!
Once they have mated you will very seldom see the big boys until next mating season.
Leave them alone!
Closed Thread

Tags
dinner, large, alligator, monday, days

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.