Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Paint Storage for Summer (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/paint-storage-summer-304663/)

Natalino 03-31-2020 12:02 PM

Paint Storage for Summer

Is it okay to store paint cans and spray paint in the garage during the summer months?

retiredguy123 03-31-2020 12:11 PM

If you are referring to the small cans of spray paint, they will probably be clogged up no matter where you store them. For larger cans, I would suggest that you buy new plastic, screw top paint containers from Lowes or Home Depot. The metal cans will cause the paint to dry out and could also rust and leak onto your garage floor.

photo1902 03-31-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalino (Post 1737380)
Is it okay to store paint cans and spray paint in the garage during the summer months?

I have over 20 one-gallon containers of paint (some from my home, most leftover from jobs) that I've keep in my garage. Never had a problem. Just make sure the lid is on tight.

dsnrbec 03-31-2020 12:34 PM

We were told by a painting contractor not to keep paint in the garage. We store ours in the cabinet above our refrigerator since we seldom need to access it.

champion6 03-31-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalino (Post 1737380)

I would toss or give away the spray paint. A snowbird-neighbor of mine had an aerosol can of paint split at the seam (that is, explode) during the summer. It was on an shelving unit near his golf cart. To say it was a terrible mess is an understatement.

retiredguy123 03-31-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsnrbec (Post 1737399)
We were told by a painting contractor not to keep paint in the garage. We store ours in the cabinet above our refrigerator since we seldom need to access it.

Wherever you store metal paint cans, they can rust and leak. I would at least place them in some type of plastic tray or storage bin to protect your cabinets and floors. I once had several paint cans stored on shelving in a basement. The bottoms rusted out and the paint ran all over the basement floor. I think that pouring the paint into heavy duty plastic containers is a cleaner and better way to go. My opinion.

bluedivergirl 03-31-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1737408)
Wherever you store metal paint cans, they can rust and leak. I would at least place them in some type of plastic tray or storage bin to protect your cabinets and floors. I once had several paint cans stored on shelving in a basement. The bottoms rusted out and the paint ran all over the basement floor. I think that pouring the paint into heavy duty plastic containers is a cleaner and better way to go. My opinion.

I agree with you. We stored paint in the garage. One of the cans rusted badly, and it discolored the paint. Couldn't use it.

dsnrbec 03-31-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedivergirl (Post 1737438)
I agree with you. We stored paint in the garage. One of the cans rusted badly, and it discolored the paint. Couldn't use it.

I wonder if having it in a climate controlled place would keep rust from happening? With the heat and humidity in our garages I’m not surprised they would deteriorate but I’ve never had any other metal container rust inside the house. What am I missing?

retiredguy123 03-31-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsnrbec (Post 1737481)
I wonder if having it in a climate controlled place would keep rust from happening? With the heat and humidity in our garages I’m not surprised they would deteriorate but I’ve never had any other metal container rust inside the house. What am I missing?

I think the paint itself, if it is water based, creates an environment for rusting. I wonder why paint stores don't use better containers for their paint. They sell the paint in a soft metal can that you need to use a hammer to close it tight. Not good for long term storage.

Rwirish 04-01-2020 05:14 AM

They will dry out.

stadry 04-01-2020 06:18 AM

more important to record paint codes so store can match mix,,, understand saving leftover paint especially colors for the most often nicked places that need touchups
why does paint come in soft metal cans ? because paint's not designed for long-term storage,,, we buy mostly in 5's which are plastic & we can store but never for more than 6mos

davem4616 04-01-2020 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stadry (Post 1737728)
more important to record paint codes so store can match mix,,, understand saving leftover paint especially colors for the most often nicked places that need touchups
why does paint come in soft metal cans ? because paint's not designed for long-term storage,,, we buy mostly in 5's which are plastic & we can store but never for more than 6mos

Ha, I've been keeping leftover paint in a spare filing cabinet in my garage...never realizing that even after all these years living in Florida I'm still thinking like a 'northerner' when it comes to some things...

keeping a record of the paint code makes all the sense in the world...and the reality is now that the kids are grown and left the coop they are no longer wreaking havoc with the walls and there's very little touch up needed

thanks to the OP for opening my eyes on paint storage

retiredguy123 04-01-2020 06:56 AM

I have found that some paint stores don't even know how to mix paint with a paint code unless it is their code. A few years ago, I took the builder's color code to Home Depot, and they couldn't make the paint. All you really need is a color sample and they can match the color with their automated mixing machine.

greenflash245 04-01-2020 07:16 AM

are you talking about the refer in your kitchen?

TandHSTAR@AOL.com 04-01-2020 08:42 AM

I store paint in the garage. I cover the can with cellophane before I put the lid on. Not sure how or why it stops film from forming on top of paint. Have done this for years. If there is just a small amount left in can I store in a large glass jar like spaghetti sauce comes in. Again cover with celophane then screw on top. Both instances also makes easier to open for touch ups.