Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Championship golf - Reasonable Accommodation changes on 1/1/21 (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/championship-golf-reasonable-accommodation-changes-1-1-21-a-309044/)

swooner 07-15-2020 01:49 PM

Championship golf - Reasonable Accommodation changes on 1/1/21

Have heard from several reliable sources that big changes are coming for the Reasonable Accommodation process on Championship Golf Courses. I suppose this could be a rumor but the sources I have heard this from are internal golf personnel who have been given this information at employee meetings. Here's the scoop:

Effective 1/1/21 current RA system is fazed out. In order to get similar privileges it will be necessary to get a Florida Handicap Placard with all that entails. No longer is it permissible to get walking relief on the golf course unless you are officially handicapped in accordance with State DMV rules. Despite the fact that I am physically unable to walk from Cart paths to Greens for 18 holes in the blistering sun I am still capable of walking from a non handicap space at a Publix parking lot to go to the front entrance. Therefore, I must be handicapped as defined by Florida DMV rules in order to drive within 15 feet of a putting surface (30 under the proposed rules). Basically this means I will have to either get my Dr. to falsify the degree of my walking disability to meet DMV Standards or quit playing golf in the friendly confines of TV. Additionally, I understand that restriction for proximity to greens and tees under the new system will be less advantages than at present.

Interested if anyone can shed further light on this subject.

N44125 07-15-2020 01:57 PM

Here’s the link to the revised program...

https://www.golfthevillages.com/whatsnew/Cap2021.pdf

Jayhawk 07-15-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swooner (Post 1803638)
Have heard from several reliable sources that big changes are coming for the Reasonable Accommodation process on Championship Golf Courses. I suppose this could be a rumor but the sources I have heard this from are internal golf personnel who have been given this information at employee meetings. Here's the scoop:

Effective 1/1/21 current RA system is fazed out. In order to get similar privileges it will be necessary to get a Florida Handicap Placard with all that entails. Basically this means I will have to either get my Dr. to falsify the degree of my walking disability to meet DMV Standards or quit playing golf in the friendly confines of TV. Additionally, I understand that restriction for proximity to greens and tees under the new system will be less advantages than at present.

Walking distance is the First qualifier. Can you walk 200 feet? If not, your doc won't be lying.

Florida Handicap Parking

Are you eligible for Disabled Person Parking Permits and Plates in Florida?
A physician or certified practitioner has to verify your impaired mobility and eligibility requirements. Specifics that differ from the general eligibility guidelines include:

Required: You can’t walk 200 feet without rest

Find Out if You're Eligible for Florida Handicap Parking.

JoMar 07-15-2020 02:35 PM

I thought that was always the requirement? How else were they getting RA's?

N44125 07-15-2020 02:37 PM

Doesn’t just apply to Championship Courses, also includes Executive Courses.

swooner 07-15-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk (Post 1803649)
Walking distance is the First qualifier. Can you walk 200 feet? If not, your doc won't be lying.

Florida Handicap Parking

Are you eligible for Disabled Person Parking Permits and Plates in Florida?
A physician or certified practitioner has to verify your impaired mobility and eligibility requirements. Specifics that differ from the general eligibility guidelines include:

Required: You can’t walk 200 feet without rest

Find Out if You're Eligible for Florida Handicap Parking.

200 ft without rest. Is that at heat index 90, 95, 100, 110 etc?

drcar 07-15-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N44125 (Post 1803667)
Doesn’t just apply to Championship Courses, also includes Executive Courses.

This did not start with the Championship courses, the was a mandate from the districts for the executive courses , which the championship courses followed.

swooner 07-15-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcar (Post 1803735)
This did not start with the Championship courses, the was a mandate from the districts for the executive courses , which the championship courses followed.

So what. Still sucks!

JoMar 07-15-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swooner (Post 1803738)
So what. Still sucks!

I don't understand.....why does it suck?

kcrazorbackfan 07-15-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swooner (Post 1803738)
So what. Still sucks!

Still waiting to hear what sucks?

I’m really fed up with a lot of the people with the RA tags destroying all the areas around the tee boxes and greens because they abuse the RA tag privilege.

I see all the time people pulling up next to, and upon, greens and tee boxes, driving between greens and bunkers, pulling up and parking on the approach areas to the greens - enough is enough. I hope the RA rules change and I hope it’s enforced.

JC419 07-15-2020 08:54 PM

I think the courses were taking a beating from the number of residents who had a reasonable accommodation. Unfortunately, few of the carts were parked 30 feet from the green - most were right on the fringe.

Dahabs 07-16-2020 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1803798)
Still waiting to hear what sucks?

I’m really fed up with a lot of the people with the RA tags destroying all the areas around the tee boxes and greens because they abuse the RA tag privilege.

I see all the time people pulling up next to, and upon, greens and tee boxes, driving between greens and bunkers, pulling up and parking on the approach areas to the greens - enough is enough. I hope the RA rules change and I hope it’s enforced.

Agree. From observation, the program was abused. At least half the golfers I have seen making use of RA could easily make their way to/from tee boxes and greens and cart path.

Jack2659 07-16-2020 04:53 AM

There is a notice on ever starter shack Championship and Executive of this change. The notice clearly tell you for full information go to Golf the Villages

Rwirish 07-16-2020 05:28 AM

Good change, RA’s have been given out like candy. Unfortunately the abuse has lead to damage around the greens.

Goodi70 07-16-2020 05:37 AM

Unfortunately, those who need to heed this are the ones least likely to do so. Enforcement is still an issue as one ambassador can only be in one place at a time.

paquino 07-16-2020 06:07 AM

It might stem from all the abuse of RAs by non-handicapped golfers.

Dana1963 07-16-2020 06:43 AM

If you are not legitimately disable then you do not deserve the handicap sticker!

Paporter 07-16-2020 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1803664)
I thought that was always the requirement? How else were they getting RA's?

Yes, it has been the requirement. Unfortunately, like all other matters, people refuse to abide by common sense rules. Additionally, repeatable golfers who are out of shape and severely obese, are getting RA tags for rounds of golf from the starters, opposed to getting a permanent RA tag. Starter issued RA tags were intended for those who have had a short term medical procedure or condition, that are on the mends. As our community continues to grow, so do the abuses.

Paporter 07-16-2020 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana1963 (Post 1803904)
If you are not legitimately disable then you do not deserve the handicap sticker!

Haha, I’ve witnessed neighbors using their handicap placard, they had received after a surgery they’ve long recovered from. It’s called lazy and feeling that they are “entitled”. We have obese, out of shape golfers and those think themselves entitled who wouldn’t walk to their golf ball. There are many who drive their carts onto the fringe and onto the greens!

jbrown132 07-16-2020 07:32 AM

If you cannot walk 10 yards instead of 5 yards in 95?degree heat chances are you should not be on the golf course at all.

72lions 07-16-2020 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahabs (Post 1803830)
Agree. From observation, the program was abused. At least half the golfers I have seen making use of RA could easily make their way to/from tee boxes and greens and cart path.

Absolutely. And frankly, if you can’t qualify for the tag, you’re capable of abiding by the rules.

BTW, Harbor Hulls places four poles around the greens. RA carts can only park near these, reducing the abuse. Great idea.

hrdcorpsmarine 07-16-2020 08:03 AM

Seems reasonable to me!!!!

PJackpot 07-16-2020 08:16 AM

Swooner: You, or whomever you're referring to, by your own admission, should not be on the golf course. Especially a championship course. And especially in extreme heat.

anothersteve 07-16-2020 08:23 AM

There is another problem with some "forgetting" their RA Card. Starters and ambassadors are told to take people's word for it if they say they "forgot" it. The new tags will solve that problem for the most part
Steve

swooner 07-16-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJackpot (Post 1804008)
Swooner: You, or whomever you're referring to, by your own admission, should not be on the golf course. Especially a championship course. And especially in extreme heat.

Oh, now I can't play golf at all even if I'm able to handle it with the current RA restrictions and requirements.

Sailohio 07-16-2020 08:52 AM

I think you should consider another option. If you can’t play 18, play 9. If you can’t play 9 play however many you can. Just because you can’t play 18 doesn’t mean you have to quit golf. The executive courses are almost free. Play 5 or 6 or however many holes you can. Who cares? You are always going to be better off with some exercise rather than no exercise.

Phpb2 07-16-2020 09:03 AM

Know of a dozen Dr’s offices that have signs, “Reasonable Accommodation applications signed $25.00””.”

Indydealmaker 07-16-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodi70 (Post 1803855)
Unfortunately, those who need to heed this are the ones least likely to do so. Enforcement is still an issue as one ambassador can only be in one place at a time.

Enforcement should not be the issue. Compliance should be.

DecaturFargo 07-16-2020 12:33 PM

I can't shed the new rules, but I believe they are starting August 1. I have happy to see the changes. I have seen many abuses. Driving way too close to greens; driving between sandtraps and greens, allowing the nonhandicapped person in the cart use the handicapped privileges by driving to their golf spot instead of walking to it. And, have seen RA's ignore directions by the Ambassador. Clearly, the powers at be have seen many, many abuses. At some point, people need to quit playing if they can't conform to the rules.

largoman 07-16-2020 01:00 PM

It is about time something is done about this. To me about %90 don’t need a RA.

mgkw1 07-16-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Effective 1/1/21 current RA system is fazed out. In order to get similar privileges it will be necessary to get a Florida Handicap Placard with all that entails. No longer is it permissible to get walking relief on the golf course unless you are officially handicapped in accordance with State DMV rules. Despite the fact that I am physically unable to walk from Cart paths to Greens for 18 holes in the blistering sun I am still capable of walking from a non handicap space at a Publix parking lot to go to the front entrance. Therefore, I must be handicapped as defined by Florida DMV rules in order to drive within 15 feet of a putting surface (30 under the proposed rules). Basically this means I will have to either get my Dr. to falsify the degree of my walking disability to meet DMV Standards or quit playing golf in the friendly confines of TV. Additionally, I understand that restriction for proximity to greens and tees under the new system will be less advantages than at present.

In order to have an RA you must bring a form to your Dr., who will fill it out and he/she must submit to The Villages. Not all handicaps are visible. People with heart conditions look fine but can only walk short distances. Additionally the RA sleeves are not for life, they do have an expiration date and to get a renewal you have to see the doctor. In my experience anyone that is out of site from an ambassador feel entitled to drive all over the course, This is with and without RA. A good percentage of them, when spoken to by golf staff say " I pay my amenity fees which pay your salary I can do what I want" Then there are those that play by the rules. In the case of wet courses it will be declared "Cart Path Only" and this mans ALL carts. RA accommodation does not matter. But once again out of site from the starter shack.....

MPStrange 07-16-2020 04:52 PM

Is there a difference between a “course access pass” and a RA?

jetro 07-17-2020 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahabs (Post 1803830)

With all due respect, I need to respond to this issue. I have a permanent RA because I have a permanent condition. Due to an accident many years ago, I have screws and plates in my ankle. I have metal in my leg and partial paralysis in that leg and no feeling in the bottom of my foot. Generally I have no problem walking on level land, however hills and inclines present a great amount of pain and swelling. When I'm having a good day I walk. When I'm not I use my RA. I try to be responsible. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

yabbadu 07-17-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

I do not understand what changed? When I moved here over eight years ago , I had to produce to Golf Administration my same documents that I submitted to the State licensing for a handicap plate and / or tag. I was given a special card to carry along with my RA tag should an ambassador ask for proof that I was approved.

To me having my Blue hang card should be used on my cart. So No Change from here and NO sucking!!!!!!

stujake 07-17-2020 03:25 PM

The current requirement for parking a golf cart is 15 ft. from the edge of the green.

swooner 07-17-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetro (Post 1804672)
With all due respect, I need to respond to this issue. I have a permanent RA because I have a permanent condition. Due to an accident many years ago, I have screws and plates in my ankle. I have metal in my leg and partial paralysis in that leg and no feeling in the bottom of my foot. Generally I have no problem walking on level land, however hills and inclines present a great amount of pain and swelling. When I'm having a good day I walk. When I'm not I use my RA. I try to be responsible. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Yes indeed!

JoMar 07-17-2020 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yabbadu (Post 1804799)
I do not understand what changed? When I moved here over eight years ago , I had to produce to Golf Administration my same documents that I submitted to the State licensing for a handicap plate and / or tag. I was given a special card to carry along with my RA tag should an ambassador ask for proof that I was approved.

To me having my Blue hang card should be used on my cart. So No Change from here and NO sucking!!!!!!

The problem is people steal the blue placards from golf carts.

kwachowski 07-18-2020 10:30 AM

Golf passes

I am a starter on an executive course and I see people walking perfectly to the starter shack. I realize there are some people who need a RA but believe me there are over 50% that don't The executive courses are the resident courses and more RA people are not observing the rules and this will affect our courses. If you need one fine, but if you don't then do not use one. I see people riding in carts of people who have a RA and the second golfer also is in the cart while using the RA. The RA is for the individual person who got the RA from their doctor.

chuckster 07-18-2020 09:41 PM

About time...the abuse is ridiculous...driving next to and on greens...driving between greens and bunkers. Driving down par 3's when cart path only due to wet conditions.. I've seen unbelievable ruts left by the "entitled" few. Rent a handicap cart if necessary

chuckster 07-18-2020 09:45 PM

Even if they steal the sign...they are still supposed to show RA card to starter. Someones not doing their job