Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   What is your favorite Psalm? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/what-your-favorite-psalm-309549/)

Taltarzac725 07-28-2020 12:44 PM

What is your favorite Psalm?

The 23rd Psalm Trivia Quiz | Psalms | FunTrivia

What is your favorite Psalm from The Bible?

Saw Psalms 91 and 139 displayed at a local business here in or around the Villages, Florida.

graciegirl 07-28-2020 12:57 PM

Twenty third.

AND the canticle of canticles.

Taltarzac725 07-28-2020 01:04 PM

Psalm 139 - Wikipedia

I can see why someone would put up Pslam 139 at their business especially during this time of dealing with the Corona Virus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1809968)

Saw Psalms 91 and 139 displayed at a local business here in or around the Villages, Florida.

davem4616 07-28-2020 02:35 PM

psalm 23:1-3 and 30:2

Stu from NYC 07-28-2020 03:11 PM

21 st

NotGolfer 07-28-2020 04:41 PM

I have several....Psalm 91 comes to mind. It fits for this period in time and season of life. There's so many...there isn't just one! Psalm 139 talks about Creator and how he created each one of us. He KNEW us in eternity past...he created each one of us (read verses 1-18.) I LOVE that each of us was part of His plan!! Psalm 22 is known as the Messianic psalm---fore-telling of Messiah. Many are songs and prayers. I know people who read the psalms for comfort. King David penned most of the psalms...

MandoMan 07-29-2020 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1809968)

How about Psalm 137:8-9?

8O Daughter of Babylon,
doomed to destruction,
blessed is he who repays you
as you have done to us.
9Blessed is he who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.

Or how about Psalm 109:
7 When he shall be judged, let him be condemned: and let his prayer become sin.
8 Let his days be few; and let another take his office.
9 Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.
10 Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
11 Let the extortioner catch all that he hath; and let the strangers spoil his labour.
12 Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: neither let there be any to favour his fatherless children.
13 Let his posterity be cut off; and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
14 Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the Lord; and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
15 Let them be before the Lord continually, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.
16 Because that he remembered not to shew mercy, but persecuted the poor and needy man, that he might even slay the broken in heart.
17 As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him.
18 As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment, so let it come into his bowels like water, and like oil into his bones.
19 Let it be unto him as the garment which covereth him, and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually.
20 Let this be the reward of mine adversaries from the Lord, and of them that speak evil against my soul.

“May the Lord add his blessing to the reading of his word.”

These are what are known as “Imprecatory Psalms”—Psalms that utter curses. They are NOT actually favorites of mine, but they are notorious among theologians.
Imprecatory Psalms - Wikipedia

GaryKoca 07-29-2020 06:59 AM

I like the 23rd psalm also. Very reassuring.

Worldseries27 07-29-2020 07:08 AM

There is no sin greater than god's mercy

Psalm. 103. 8-12

Pamelah 07-29-2020 07:43 AM

Interesting. Certain political topics are a forbidden topic but religion is allowed?

graciegirl 07-29-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choro&Swing (Post 1810160)
How about Psalm 137:8-9?

8O Daughter of Babylon,
doomed to destruction,
blessed is he who repays you
as you have done to us.
9Blessed is he who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.

Or how about Psalm 109:
7 When he shall be judged, let him be condemned: and let his prayer become sin.
8 Let his days be few; and let another take his office.
9 Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.
10 Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
11 Let the extortioner catch all that he hath; and let the strangers spoil his labour.
12 Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: neither let there be any to favour his fatherless children.
13 Let his posterity be cut off; and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
14 Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the Lord; and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
15 Let them be before the Lord continually, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.
16 Because that he remembered not to shew mercy, but persecuted the poor and needy man, that he might even slay the broken in heart.
17 As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him.
18 As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment, so let it come into his bowels like water, and like oil into his bones.
19 Let it be unto him as the garment which covereth him, and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually.
20 Let this be the reward of mine adversaries from the Lord, and of them that speak evil against my soul.

“May the Lord add his blessing to the reading of his word.”

These are what are known as “Imprecatory Psalms”—Psalms that utter curses. They are NOT actually favorites of mine, but they are notorious among theologians.
Imprecatory Psalms - Wikipedia

There is so much that can be said about the point that you are making. I am a not very practicing Catholic and I was taught that the Bible is a treasured work and a record of words of inspired people but must be taken in context with the different authors intent. (And that of course is really up for grabs)

I personally think that the big ten commandments are a good start at directing people toward cohabiting on this earth. If God is, He has it handled. And I think He is, most of the time and when I doubt, I think He isn't gonna be mad at me.

Marty94 07-29-2020 08:33 AM

Psalm 62:1
Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him

Bellavita 07-29-2020 09:44 AM

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all ye lands serve the Lord with gladness

rforte4@rochester.rr.com 07-29-2020 09:46 AM

Favorite Psalms

I like Psalm 27:1. The Lord is my light and my salvation. Whom shall I fear.

This speaks to rebuking any fear that comes to you.....the Lord is bigger than any of that. Repeat this verse when you are challenged with fear of any kind.

Here is Psalm 91

Some call it a 911 to God (Psalm 91 verse 1)

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
—Psalm 91:1

It goes on in Psalm 91

Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.

These are reassuring words that give one a sense of protection and that God loves you and is with you at all times.

God is so good & kind.

MandoMan 07-30-2020 05:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1810213)
There is so much that can be said about the point that you are making. I am a not very practicing Catholic and I was taught that the Bible is a treasured work and a record of words of inspired people but must be taken in context with the different authors intent. (And that of course is really up for grabs)

I personally think that the big ten commandments are a good start at directing people toward cohabiting on this earth. If God is, He has it handled. And I think He is, most of the time and when I doubt, I think he isn't gonna be mad at me.

A recent book by me. I taught biblical literature at my university for many years. The book will help you learn a LOT more about Bible stories.
Robot Check