Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Current Events and News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/)
-   -   Ruth Bader Ginsburg (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/ruth-bader-ginsburg-311223/)

dewilson58 09-18-2020 06:47 PM

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

R i p

Northwoods 09-18-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1835093)
R i p

Wow. No warning.
May she rest in peace.
I'm not thinking we'll see a replacement before Jan. 20. 2021.

alwann 09-18-2020 07:00 PM

Rbg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northwoods (Post 1835095)
Wow. No warning.
May she rest in peace.
I'm not thinking we'll see a replacement before Jan. 20. 2021.

No warning? She was fighting a losing battle with cancer for years. Will not be surprised if the president nominates someone by Monday. It was reported last week, he was already reviewing potential nominees, which might mean insiders knew she was dying.

rjn5656 09-18-2020 07:13 PM

Monday would be good with me.

Northwoods 09-18-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1835099)
No warning? She was fighting a losing battle with cancer for years. Will not be surprised if the president nominates someone by Monday. It was reported last week, he was already reviewing potential nominees, which might mean insiders knew she was dying.

I knew she had a lot of issues but she certainly rallied through them all. I didn't hear her situation was grave (which was my point).
Trust me... Trump can nominate anyone. It's never going to happen. After what Kavanaugh went through.... never going to happen. Trump could nominate Mother Theresa and it wouldn't happen.

Bjeanj 09-18-2020 07:38 PM

I was hoping she would hang on until November. If you read her bio, you would know how she met all challenges.

Ladygolfer93 09-18-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northwoods (Post 1835107)
I knew she had a lot of issues but she certainly rallied through them all. I didn't hear her situation was grave (which was my point).
Trust me... Trump can nominate anyone. It's never going to happen. After what Kavanaugh went through.... never going to happen. Trump could nominate Mother Theresa and it wouldn't happen.

Regardless, it is going to be very ugly, just when we thought it could not get more contentious ! In less than an hour and her dying words to her grand daughter are already made public.... "My greatest wish is NOT to be replaced by this president". Such an accomplished woman, honest to HER beliefs no matter if you lean liberal or conservative, she was seemingly honest and no one can deny what she has done for equal opportunities for women while obviously a devoted spouse and mother. Who in this day admits when they made a mistake in a vote like she has said publicly on some issues. No one ! But, as sharp a mind as she had to the end, she certainly knew what her dying words would bring about, no doubt of that. This is going to be ugly, our poor country, our poor people, we all suffer no matter which way you lean !

Bucco 09-18-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 (Post 1835112)
Regardless, it is going to be very ugly, just when we thought it could not get more contentious ! In less than an hour and her dying words to her grand daughter are already made public.... "My greatest wish is NOT to be replaced by this president". Such an accomplished woman, honest to HER beliefs no matter if you lean liberal or conservative, she was seemingly honest and no one can deny what she has done for equal opportunities for women while obviously a devoted spouse and mother. Who in this day admits when they made a mistake in a vote like she has said publicly on some issues. No one ! But, as sharp a mind as she had to the end, she certainly knew what her dying words would bring about, no doubt of that. This is going to be ugly, our poor country, our poor people, we all suffer no matter which way you lean !

May she Rest In Peace.

I was not a huge fan, and McConnel and Garland is all I can think of right now because of my embarrassment at the time, besides these quotes from Justice Ginsberg which I ran across.

"I'm a very strong believer in listening and learning from others."

Plus her advice, all good, on marriage...

"In the course of a marriage, one accommodates the other"

"In every good marriage, it helps sometimes to be a little deaf."

RIP

And do. not be concerned by her words...."he" will not be issuing a cannonization speech....she represented the blue guys who make us look bad

Northwoods 09-18-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 (Post 1835112)

Well... she will get her wish if the current person in office isn't elected for a 2nd term. There is 0 chance it will happen in his current term. Just like it didn't happen in the last administration. Too close to an election.
now... if the current guy gets back in. Ruth isn't going to be happy.

Taltarzac725 09-18-2020 08:07 PM

She was a great lady. May she R.I.P. and/or visit with the likes of Mark Twain, Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr; Socrates; Jesus; Martin Luther King, Jr.; JFK., and the like. Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. - Wikipedia.

Heaven forbid she hooks up with Ronald Reagan!

Bucco 09-18-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northwoods (Post 1835118)
Well... she will get her wish if the current person in office isn't elected for a 2nd term. There is 0 chance it will happen in his current term. Just like it didn't happen in the last administration. Too close to an election.
now... if the current guy gets back in. Ruth isn't going to be happy.

"Senate Republicans have promised to try to fill the vacancy even in the waning days of his first term. The confirmation battle, in the middle of a pandemic and a presidential election, is sure to be titanic."

"In 2016, Senate Republicans refused to consider President Barack Obama’s nomination of Judge Merrick B. Garland, saying that holding hearings in the last year of a president’s term would deprive voters of a role in the process."

----------------------

"With the election less than two month away, McConnell said the Senate would act to fill the vacancy, even though he spent most of 2016 denying a confirmation hearing to President Barack Obama’s pick to fill a vacancy on the high court."

McConnell Vows Quick Vote on Trump Pick to Fill Ginsburg Seat

Stu from NYC 09-18-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1835130)
"Senate Republicans have promised to try to fill the vacancy even in the waning days of his first term. The confirmation battle, in the middle of a pandemic and a presidential election, is sure to be titanic."

"In 2016, Senate Republicans refused to consider President Barack Obama’s nomination of Judge Merrick B. Garland, saying that holding hearings in the last year of a president’s term would deprive voters of a role in the process."

----------------------

"With the election less than two month away, McConnell said the Senate would act to fill the vacancy, even though he spent most of 2016 denying a confirmation hearing to President Barack Obama’s pick to fill a vacancy on the high court."

McConnell Vows Quick Vote on Trump Pick to Fill Ginsburg Seat

Be interesting to see how this plays out. She was a fighter that is for sure.

Her body was falling apart but she was still sharp.

Velvet 09-18-2020 08:54 PM

I have no words right now. It just hurts.

tophcfa 09-18-2020 08:55 PM

Just when you thought things couldn't get uglier! When the hell is 2020 going to be over?

Nucky 09-18-2020 09:18 PM

Isn't this the time to say RIP if you wish? Isn't it also the time to say NOTHING if you don't have something nice to say? The woman just died hours ago. Respect the timing a little. Nobody will ever know how I fell about her. I'm sorry she suffered and I'm sorry she passed. Some posts are just shameful. Pick 'Em!