Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Sumter raises taxes again , cuts money for music at squares (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sumter-raises-taxes-again-cuts-money-music-squares-312186/)

John41 10-19-2020 06:13 AM

Sumter raises taxes again , cuts money for music at squares

Current Sumter commissioners supported by the developer voted to raise taxes and cut funding for music at the squares as reported in Villages News.
This is another example of how the current developer plans to radically transform The Villages from the vision of the founder Harold Schwartz that has been so successful.

graciegirl 10-19-2020 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John41 (Post 1849423)
Current Sumter commissioners supported by the developer voted to raise taxes and cut funding for music at the squares as reported in Villages News.
This is another example of how the current developer plans to radically transform The Villages from the vision of the founder Harold Schwartz that has been so successful.

If people's taxes have gone up it is because the appraised value of their home is greater.

The money for entertainment on the squares comes from the Merchants on the squares.

Northwoods 10-19-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John41 (Post 1849423)

I can't understand the logic of cutting the money to fund entertainment on the squares. I believe the entertainment is funded through this year. This means the "new" commissioners will have to make the decision to reinstate it, find another way to fund it, or stop entertainment.
I wonder if the current commissioners did this to "stick it" to the incoming commissioners.

starflyte1 10-19-2020 03:41 PM

The way I understand the cut is that it is only Spanish Springs in Lake County. Music will be funded to the end of the year, and the funding could return at a later date.

LSL and Brownwood are not changed.

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-19-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1849482)
If people's taxes have gone up it is because the appraised value of their home is greater.

The money for entertainment on the squares comes from the Merchants on the squares.

SOME of the money for entertainment on the squares came from a Tourist Development grant from Sumter County, with the money raised via tourism taxes. Last year's was I believe $120,000 to both Brownwood and Sumter Landing, since Spanish Springs Town Square isn't in Sumter County and therefore doesn't get Sumter County grant money.

Also, taxes have gone up because Sumter County raised taxes last year. Perhaps you were absent for several months' worth of threads on the subject right here.

Bogie Shooter 10-19-2020 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northwoods (Post 1849772)
I can't understand the logic of cutting the money to fund entertainment on the squares. I believe the entertainment is funded through this year. This means the "new" commissioners will have to make the decision to reinstate it, find another way to fund it, or stop entertainment.
I wonder if the current commissioners did this to "stick it" to the incoming commissioners.

The second question, what will the new commissioners do?

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-19-2020 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starflyte1 (Post 1849778)
The way I understand the cut is that it is only Spanish Springs in Lake County. Music will be funded to the end of the year, and the funding could return at a later date.

LSL and Brownwood are not changed.

It's reverse of that. Sumter County abolished the tax. Lake County is unchanged.

Going My Way 10-19-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1849792)

No politics are allowed on this forum!

Northwoods 10-19-2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1849792)

Exactly.
In my opinion, if the new commissioners are smart, they will reinstate the tourism tax and keep funding the entertainment at LSL and Brownwood.
But, I'm afraid the new commissioners will say The Developer should pay for it. "Entertainment sells homes so The Developer should fund it." Well... The Developer has sold a lot of homes during the Pandemic, without entertainment.

Stu from NYC 10-19-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northwoods (Post 1849852)
Exactly.
In my opinion, if the new commissioners are smart, they will reinstate the tourism tax and keep funding the entertainment at LSL and Brownwood.
But, I'm afraid the new commissioners will say The Developer should pay for it. "Entertainment sells homes so The Developer should fund it." Well... The Developer has sold a lot of homes during the Pandemic, without entertainment.

I do not expect the developer to pay for the entertainment. Hopefully the merchants will continue to do so and the county will reinstate the tourist tax.

Moderator 10-19-2020 09:03 PM

Please note that discussion of local tax increases or changes, County elections, etc. are not necessarily considered to be political per TOTV rules. It's a valid area of interest to many residents.

However, any such comments that reference national political parties or one's feelings about same, that tie local elections to national ones, or that otherwise veer off topic will continue to be removed and sanctions given if warranted.

Northwoods 10-19-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moderator (Post 1849865)
Please note that discussion of local tax increases or changes, County elections, etc. are not necessarily considered to be political per TOTV rules. It's a valid area of interest to many residents.

However, any such comments that reference national political parties or one's feelings about same, that tie local elections to national ones, or that otherwise veer off topic will continue to be removed and sanctions given if warranted.

:coolsmiley: Thanks! Because I think this is a very important topic. (and it has nothing to do with national politics)

graciegirl 10-19-2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1849791)
SOME of the money for entertainment on the squares came from a Tourist Development grant from Sumter County, with the money raised via tourism taxes. Last year's was I believe $120,000 to both Brownwood and Sumter Landing, since Spanish Springs Town Square isn't in Sumter County and therefore doesn't get Sumter County grant money.

Also, taxes have gone up because Sumter County raised taxes last year
. Perhaps you were absent for several months' worth of threads on the subject right here.

THE OP said taxes were raised AGAIN. It didn't happen twice. If the taxes have gone up this year it is because the homes may have appraised more just as I said. I wasn't absent. Were you?

CWGUY 10-20-2020 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northwoods (Post 1849772)

:confused:I'm confused. Didn't the EMS group (as they like to call themselves) run on the promise to STOP the entertainment funding from the County? I seem to recall the wife of one candidate talking about it on this site. :oops:

Two Bills 10-20-2020 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1849876)
:confused:I'm confused. Didn't the EMS group (as they like to call themselves) run on the promise to STOP the entertainment funding from the County? I seem to recall the wife of one candidate talking about it on this site. :oops:

Correct!