Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Recycling old batteries (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/recycling-old-batteries-333871/)

teamC 07-23-2022 10:19 AM

Recycling old batteries

I have a household batteries that I would like to recycle. Home Depot & Best Buy no longer accept them. Has anyone been successful recycling batteries recently?

Eg_cruz 07-23-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamC (Post 2118288)
I have a household batteries that I would like to recycle. Home Depot & Best Buy no longer accept them. Has anyone been successful recycling batteries recently?

The recycle center on Rolling Acre rd

Carla B 07-23-2022 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eg_cruz (Post 2118296)
The recycle center on Rolling Acre rd

I understand you must be a Lake County resident to use that center.

keepsake 07-23-2022 11:03 AM

Big govt wants us to recycle those old batteries. But they sure make it hell and hurdles galore to do 'what is right'
I have almost a ton of old lead acid. I am not bringing them back one a week.

DAVES 07-23-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepsake (Post 2118312)
Big govt wants us to recycle those old batteries. But they sure make it hell and hurdles galore to do 'what is right'
I have almost a ton of old lead acid. I am not bringing them back one a week.

An interesting problem that I don't have. Perhaps, the people you buy the batteries from can advise you.

villagetinker 07-23-2022 03:03 PM

OP, if these are the typical AAA to D alkaline batteries, I have never seen recycling for these. Lowe's has (had?) battery recycling drop off at the customer service area, but this was limited to certain types of batteries.

BobnBev 07-23-2022 03:18 PM

Batteries

Any junk yard, scrap metal yard, etc, should take them and pay you for them.

OrangeBlossomBaby 07-23-2022 03:28 PM

Normal alkaline batteries don't get recycled. They get put in the trash. Rechargeable batteries (lithium iOn, etc) can be brought to Staples. You can drop them off at the front desk. But make sure they are ALL rechargeable, otherwise Staples is fined by the recycle folks for sneaking in the alkalines. This is a free service to the public.

Luggage 07-24-2022 04:43 AM

Start local.
Your town's website is always a great place to begin. Chances are, you'll learn about battery recycling in the section listing "other types" of recycling.

Use these handy tools. If you're looking to discover where to dispose of batteries, both Earth911 and Call2Recycle offer online resources to help. Earth911 has an accurate Recycling Locator for all types of batteries where you enter your ZIP code to find the nearest battery recycling center – please see the Earth911 tool below.

Call2Recycle also offers a network of over 34,000 local recycling centers and drop-off locations for rechargeable batteries, including local municipalities and national retailers such as Best Buy, The Home Depot, Staples and Lowe’s. It’s the perfect answer to the common question, "Where can I recycle batteries?" Call2Recycle has a ZIP code tool to find one of their handy battery recycling locations for rechargeable batteries. We urge you to seek them out – Energizer® has collected and recycled

Fastskiguy 07-24-2022 05:10 AM

Here is what I found on earth911.com searching for lithium ion battery recycling in zip code 32163 FWIW, looks like there are a lot of options

Lithium-ion Batteries near 32163 - Recycling Centers - Earth911.com

Not sure if that's the type of battery you're looking for but I have a pile of 2032 batteries I need to drop off somewhere.

Joe

PS thanks for the earth911 info!

irishwonone 07-24-2022 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastskiguy (Post 2118436)
Here is what I found on earth911.com searching for lithium ion battery recycling in zip code 32163 FWIW, looks like there are a lot of options

Lithium-ion Batteries near 32163 - Recycling Centers - Earth911.com

Not sure if that's the type of battery you're looking for but I have a pile of 2032 batteries I need to drop off somewhere.

Joe

PS thanks for the earth911 info!

That’s good information. Home.Depot too does accept and recycle lithium ion & Ni Cad tool batteries. Years ago when they decided to become a major player in the power tool business a decision was made to both recycle and sell both types of batteries that were required in power tools. As such manufacturers such as De Walt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, Metabo, and to many others to name all refer users to HD to dispose of the two types of batteries I mentioned. These manufacturers actually participate financially with HD in the disposal of their particular brand batteries.

Mrmean58 07-24-2022 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla B (Post 2118298)
I understand you must be a Lake County resident to use that center.

In theory yes you should be a Lake Co resident but in 5 years of using that site no one has ever check my residency.

fgaba1949 07-24-2022 07:21 AM

a good question but one leads us to another..if the plan is for most everyone to have electric cars..where will the millions of used batteries go and what is the replacement cost for a battery ?

Beltlady 07-24-2022 07:42 AM

Beltlady

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2118361)
OP, if these are the typical AAA to D alkaline batteries, I have never seen recycling for these. Lowe's has (had?) battery recycling drop off at the customer service area, but this was limited to certain types of batteries.

//////walmart takes them

NoMoSno 07-24-2022 07:48 AM

Just dropped off many Li-Ion batteries at Home Depot for recycling.