Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Printer will not connect to new router (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/printer-will-not-connect-new-router-338214/)

jayerose 01-15-2023 09:11 AM

Printer will not connect to new router

Plan on visiting T-Mobile this afternoon but anyone else have this problem?

Canon printer will not connect to a new network and router (from Spectrum to T-Mobile).

thank you

Daxdog 01-15-2023 09:17 AM

Need more information, what kind of router are you using?

Bill14564 01-15-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayerose (Post 2176017)
Plan on visiting T-Mobile this afternoon but anyone else have this problem?

Canon printer will not connect to a new network and router (from Spectrum to T-Mobile).

thank you

If you find a solution to that I would love to hear it.

Moved my father to a T-Mobile 5G router last year. Works great for everything except the HP printer - could not get that to connect no matter what I tried. The printer had been connected to the old router through wifi and could see the new router. There is no question that I was typing the correct authentication but it would not connect. Finally just connected the printer through a USB; not the ideal solution but it worked.

jayerose 01-15-2023 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daxdog (Post 2176022)
Need more information, what kind of router are you using?

T-Mobile 5G

jayerose 01-15-2023 09:28 AM

I do not see a USB port on the printer....I can't believe I may need to buy another printer (this one is only two months old)

retiredguy123 01-15-2023 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayerose (Post 2176032)
I do not see a USB port on the printer....I can't believe I may need to buy another printer (this one is only two months old)

Is there an ethernet connection? If so, use that.

Note that a usb connection to a printer is shaped differently from a regular usb port. It's square.

willis100 01-15-2023 09:38 AM

///

Bill14564 01-15-2023 09:44 AM

There are discussions on other message boards about this problem. Some of the suggestions include changing the encryption on the router, changing the wifi standard being used (ax/n/g), and simply printing one page with USB then trying wifi again. Unfortunately, the printer I was trying to set up is a few hundred miles away so I can't try these anytime soon.

Pinball wizard 01-15-2023 10:05 AM

1. Remove the Canon printer software from your PC.
2. Reboot the PC.
3. Download the latest copy of the Canon printer installation software.
4. Do a factory reset on the canon printer
5. Reboot the printer
6. Install the newly downloaded canon printer software.

Let us know the results or any error messages.

Good Luck

EdFNJ 01-15-2023 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayerose (Post 2176032)

Added after posting: Wait! OOOPS! You said NO USB PORT? What the heck model is that? You should post that info. Probably one of those lower end models where the cartridges cost 10x the cost of the printer to replace. If no basic USB there likely is no ethernet port either.

Does your printer have an ethernet port? If not, get a usb->ethernet adapter from Amazon and connect directly to your router by ethernet assuming your router has an available Ethernet port. If not pick up a cheap Ethernet switch.

You may also be blocked by the firewall on the router. T-Mo can advise you on that. Must be a common issue.

Nucky 01-15-2023 10:30 AM

I had to open up a Gmail account and once I did the printer worked perfectly within minutes. Very frustrating. It was a technician at Brother that gave me that tip.

jayerose 01-15-2023 10:31 AM

No Ethernet or USB connections.

When I go to Canon start-up on PC, I get the following message...For security and performance, Windows 10 in S mode runs Microsoft-verified apps.

When I click on 'Get apps from Store'....what app should I download?

Thank you everyone for your help.

jayerose 01-15-2023 10:43 AM

We found the ethernet port on the printer!

But do not see one on our laptop.

So I need to get an adapter?

Bill14564 01-15-2023 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayerose (Post 2176098)
We found the ethernet port on the printer!

But do not see one on our laptop.

So I need to get an adapter?

What model is the printer?

You would connect the ethernet cable between the printer and the router. Hopefully, this would allow you to run the configuration software on the computer and the software would find the printer on the network. It could then make any necessary changes to the printer to allow it to work with the T-Mobile wifi.

daniel200 01-15-2023 11:23 AM

It would be helpful if you would provide the model of both the router and the printer. This would allow us to understand the specs of both. Without this, all you get are educated guesses that may not apply to your equipment. You could just take a photo of the label on both devices and post it here