Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Television (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/)
-   -   Amazon Tanks Ad-free TV on Prime (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/amazon-tanks-ad-free-tv-prime-346362/)

NoMo50 12-27-2023 07:01 AM

Amazon Tanks Ad-free TV on Prime

Well, we should have seen this coming. Effective January 29th, Amazon Prime will no longer broadcast ad-free content on their Prime TV shows and movies. Over the past several months there has been somewhat of a soft rollout of this change, with more and more shows being aired via their "Freevee" platform. Prime members will, however, be able to subscribe to ad-free programming for an additional fee of $2.99/month.

I realize Jeff Bezos has bills to pay, along with a very costly divorce, but...c'mon, man!

LuvNH 12-27-2023 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMo50 (Post 2285733)
Well, we should have seen this coming. Effective January 29th, Amazon Prime will no longer broadcast ad-free content on their Prime TV shows and movies. Over the past several months there has been somewhat of a soft rollout of this change, with more and more shows being aired via their "Freevee" platform. Prime members will, however, be able to subscribe to ad-free programming for an additional fee of $2.99/month.

I realize Jeff Bezos has bills to pay, along with a very costly divorce, but...c'mon, man!

$3 a month well worth it. I sat through 7 ads on You Tube the other evening.

shut the front door 12-27-2023 08:47 AM

Prices of everything have gone up over the last few years. At least they are making it an option to stay ad free for a measly $3 a month.

Keefelane66 12-27-2023 09:31 AM

Quote:

“ Freevee is a free, ad-supported TV streaming service that carries over 150 free “live” channels of 24/7 looping content as well as thousands of on-demand TV shows and movies. The Amazon-owned service was previously known as IMDb TV (2019–2022).”
It's always had adds on Freevee. Other movies on Amazon Prime do not.

JGibson 12-27-2023 09:34 AM

One person is complaining about a $5 GHIN and another is complaining about $2.99 ad free fee.

C'mon folks life is too short for this.

Tom52 12-27-2023 10:10 AM

If one chooses to pay the $3 monthly ad free fee for Amazon Prime, will the FreeVee content on Amazon Prime also be ad free? Lately, a lot of the programming on Prime is FreeVee. it would probably be worth the monthly fee if everything on Prime is ad free. No so much if all the FreeVee content still would have commercials.

EzHighway 12-27-2023 10:19 AM

Hold your horses!

Quote:

That's for Prime members with a business account!

dsgreen3 12-27-2023 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EzHighway (Post 2285842)
That's for Prime members with a business account!

No that is for all Prime TV shows and movies for all prime accounts.

EzHighway 12-27-2023 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsgreen3 (Post 2285847)
No that is for all Prime TV shows and movies for all prime accounts.

I received an e-mail direct from Amazon customer service now in my records, I guess the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Happy New Years!
:posting:

Pugchief 12-27-2023 04:00 PM

Amazon Prime is an awesome service, but the streaming video service that comes with it is grossly inferior to Netflix and some of the others. I wouldn't pay for it if it wasn't free.

If you watch a lot of Prime streaming, it's worth paying the $3/month IMO, otherwise, for more occasional use, I'll probably just deal with the commercials.

8v92ta 12-28-2023 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGibson (Post 2285813)
One person is complaining about a $5 GHIN and another is complaining about $2.99 ad free fee.

C'mon folks life is too short for this.

Probably the ones that need a shopping cart at the liquor store

STEVENMERL 12-28-2023 06:27 AM

Quote:

Big deal. I buy so much stuff from Amazon that the free shipping not only covers the annual fee not the additional 36 buck a year

BlackHarley 12-28-2023 06:32 AM

It's gonna start at 3 bucks. Give it time , just like our Prime accounts.

Bridget Staunton 12-28-2023 07:02 AM

What is GHIN? acronym are supposed to be spelled out first

ThirdOfFive 12-28-2023 07:29 AM

Quote:

Definitely a pattern there. But this is not new. I recall back in the early 70s when Cable TV was in its infancy, at least in our neck of the woods. Gone were the annoying rabbit ears and the spotty reception. We now got TWELVE channels instead of two, sparkling clear on our little 19" black-and-white TV. And all for only $9.99 per month. Big selling point was that since we were now paying for what was formerly free, there would be no ads to contend with. I think that lasted two years before the ads appeared, followed by a "premium" service (a bit more money per month) that offered ad-free TV on the premium channels.

Same w/YouTube. YouTube Premium offers ad-free service. But the FREE service is increasingly peppered with increasingly long ads.

I guess the Amazon move is nothing to get your undies in a bundle about. Normal progression of events and all that. Also, Prime is a great service overall and $3 is less than pocket change.