Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   IPad question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/ipad-question-348079/)

tejas 02-27-2024 10:48 AM

IPad question

I can't power off my IPad because the touch screen function is not working. I've tried holding down the power on/off button for an extended time but that doesn't seem to work either. I thought if I could power it off and on again I might be able to get the touch screen back. The IPad is four years old. Is it time for a new IPad?

retiredguy123 02-27-2024 10:57 AM

Have you tried to unplug it and wait for the battery to run down?

Davonu 02-27-2024 11:00 AM

Not sure, but try holding down one of the volume up/down buttons while holding the on/off/lock button down.

BigDawgInLakeDenham 02-27-2024 11:08 AM

Press and release the volume up, press and release the volume down, then press and hold top button

Bogie Shooter 02-27-2024 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas (Post 2305649)
I can't power off my IPad because the touch screen function is not working. I've tried holding down the power on/off button for an extended time but that doesn't seem to work either. I thought if I could power it off and on again I might be able to get the touch screen back. The IPad is four years old. Is it time for a new IPad?

I asked the question on the internet and got this answer…..

Try to perform a forced restart, using these instructions:
iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Power button until the device restarts.
iPad models with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier, and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons until you see the Apple logo.
and see if your screen is responding when done.

tejas 02-27-2024 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2305650)
Have you tried to unplug it and wait for the battery to run down?

Thanks, I'll try letting the power run down.

tejas 02-27-2024 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davonu (Post 2305651)
Not sure, but try holding down one of the volume up/down buttons while holding the on/off/lock button down.

Thanks. I tried both with volume up and down but neither worked.

Blackie 02-27-2024 11:39 AM

Phone apple support they’ll tell you how to fix it. Just follow the links and tap the “call” link and they will call you within 2 or 3 minutes.

https://getsupport.apple.com/solutions

Velvet 02-27-2024 12:46 PM

Apple support 1 800 275-2273 is usually very helpful (that’s one reason why they charge twice as much money as what the device should actually cost).

coralway 02-27-2024 01:59 PM

Press the power button and the volume button together at the same time for a second or two

tejas 02-27-2024 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 2305653)
I asked the question on the internet and got this answer…..

Try to perform a forced restart, using these instructions:
iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Power button until the device restarts.
iPad models with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier, and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons until you see the Apple logo.
and see if your screen is responding when done.

THANK YOU!!! I pressed both the hold button and the on/off button until the Apple logo appeared. The touch function is back. Yippee! I don't have to buy a new IPad.

kcrazorbackfan 02-27-2024 08:01 PM

Quote:

“Hey, Siri. Turn iPad off”. Works for me every time.

tophcfa 02-27-2024 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coralway (Post 2305712)
Press the power button and the volume button together at the same time for a second or two

There’s your correct answer.

mntlblok 02-28-2024 04:30 AM

Literacy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2305809)
I included the quotes in my post so I could compare them side by side. I'm good.

:-)

elle123 02-28-2024 04:59 AM

Quote:

Four years is old for a tablet. I managed to have one for six, but capitulated and purchased a new one--what a difference. It's like night and day.