Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Which Cable Service? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/cable-service-52939/)

jean528 05-07-2012 02:24 PM

Which Cable Service?

Moving into our new home in Sanibel in 2 weeks. Which is the best Cable service if you just want Hi-Speed Internet & basic DVR TV (maybe big 10 network, depending on cost). ComCast? Century Link? SkySat20? Thanks!

asianthree 05-07-2012 08:02 PM

Hate comcast but thats all we can get in pennacamp:shrug:

Golfer in Sanibel 05-07-2012 09:22 PM

I have been researching this. Try Brighthouse. It's an option in Sanibel.

Bright House Networks Orlando, Daytona, Beach, Melbourne | TV | Home Phone | Internet

Phanatic Luvr 05-07-2012 09:25 PM

Loved BrightHouse

It is available south of 466A so I hear. Only wish it was available north of
466A.

2 Oldcrabs 05-08-2012 06:31 AM

Brighthouse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfer in Sanibel (Post 489650)
I have been researching this. Try Brighthouse. It's an option in Sanibel.

Bright House Networks Orlando, Daytona, Beach, Melbourne | TV | Home Phone | Internet

We have had Brighthouse in Sanibel since Jan. We are very happy with them. No 1 year contract, no charges to activate all the rooms in the house. Added an extra phone box in a room at no charge. I think their sales rep for TV is Paul Muniz (407) 504 2580:pepper2:

goingtothevillages 05-08-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jean528 (Post 489467)
Moving into our new home in Sanibel in 2 weeks. Which is the best Cable service if you just want Hi-Speed Internet & basic DVR TV (maybe big 10 network, depending on cost). ComCast? Century Link? SkySat20? Thanks!

I just purchased in the new Mission Hills and was told I had basically 4 choices: DirectTV, DishTV, Comcast or Century Link. From all I've heard, Dish was DEFINITELY out (poor svc - limited channels - and once all was said and done with the hidden costs, much more expensive - so I didn't even consider them) I did all the research (included all one-time costs plus all costs for the 1st 2 years). Once I had the total 2 year cost I divided by 24 and came up with my average monthly cost. Here's what I found: the way I went averaged $128 per month; Comcast $145/mth; and CenturyLink was $171 per month. If you send me your regular email, I'll send you the spreadsheet I did.

After I got the services, I found out if I refer people, we both can save some money - but you have to mention my acct # - thus the reason for the "private message". Direct TV gave me a coupon where you get $100 in bill credits and I also get $100 in bill credits (when ordering give them “Friend’s Account # 064961712). Then Century Link has a promo where I get $50 off my bill and you get $10 off every month for the 1st 5 months (you need to give them my phone # 352 430-2889).

I ended up getting Direct TV via Sams Club (had to upgrade my membership from regular to "Plus" - cost $35 but Direct TV discounts much greater than that if I was a "Plus" member - plus will be cancelling upgrade in a few days and get most of it back in refunds.

Then I went to Century Link to get internet. They gave me a 5yr price guarantee for internet service - and found out that after 1st yr, the cost for Internet alone was the same as for both internet and phone. I hadn't planned on getting a home phone (was just going to use my cell) but with it being the same price, with or without the phone, I decided to get phone service also.

I haven't gotten my actual bill yet but if their written representations are correct, I saved between $16 & $42 a month, for a 2 yr savings of $390 to $1,012.

If you're interested reply(private msg) with you're email address and I'll send you the spreadsheet, etc. - good luck in your search - lol - very frustrating for me.

REDCART 05-08-2012 10:06 AM

Going,

Thanks for sharing your cable tV strategy. Nothing in life is ever simple. If you're planning to be away for any time, you should also investigate the "vacation" rates. they vary considerably. Secondly, at least with Comcast once you go into "vacation" mode, you forfeit all discounts. I don't know if the other cable providers do the same.

(When I do this kind of analysis my wife will tell me that I have too much time on my hands. Isn't it great to be retired!)

anlashokna 05-08-2012 04:19 PM

Brighthouse!

Sanibel has the option for Brighthouse !!! and seriously...have NOT been disappointed at all with what we have and the price tag is much better than there competitors !! We've had dish and direct in other locations and this whole setup is just great. We have dvr/wifi hotspot/ unlimited nationwide. There should be a sticky or search for it and you'll find a great contact that will get you all set up.

Our neighbor went with centurylink and the van has been back out 4 times in 4 weeks :( Never have had to call Brighthouse back out. Comcast....well just search that on here...LOL. What bad things you hear are very true.

newkid 05-08-2012 04:25 PM

Brighthouse by far.

Barefoot 05-11-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gryoung (Post 489796)

If you're planning to be away for any time, you should also investigate the "vacation" rates. they vary considerably. Secondly, at least with Comcast once you go into "vacation" mode, you forfeit all discounts.

I just called Comcast. Their Vacation Rate is more than double the amount that they charged last year.

thekeithfan 05-11-2012 05:17 AM

Direct TV has no rate "vacation rate" I can also use the service in my RV for no extra rate!

jean528 05-11-2012 07:43 AM

Thanks for all the feedback on which cable for Sanibel! The one thing only Comcast has is the Villages channel, which, I imagine after while is not so important, but to a newbee, I like to listen to it in the background. But, Brighthouse even said they were looking into getting it. What I also found at the Villages, is that you're so busy, you don't watch much TV, but when you do, you want to watch what you like, therefore, the DVR is important.
I'm new to the forum, so couldn't figure out the PM thing for the guy who had a database set up to compare over 2 years, which really makes sense, since they all have these promotions. To add Big 10 is $5. a month for Comcast, but $8. a month for Brighthouse, but Brighthouse charges $2. a month to rent modem, & Comcast charges $7. - is it worth it to buy your own modem? Brighthouse didn't encourage it.
So in the end, it probably comes down to service, and I'll take your'all's word for it that Brighthouse is better. Besides faster internet, for less money.
Whew, enough already - time to go play!

jwayne1405 05-23-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goingtothevillages (Post 489737)
I just purchased in the new Mission Hills and was told I had basically 4 choices: DirectTV, DishTV, Comcast or Century Link. From all I've heard, Dish was DEFINITELY out (poor svc - limited channels - and once all was said and done with the hidden costs, much more expensive - so I didn't even consider them) I did all the research (included all one-time costs plus all costs for the 1st 2 years). Once I had the total 2 year cost I divided by 24 and came up with my average monthly cost. Here's what I found: the way I went averaged $128 per month; Comcast $145/mth; and CenturyLink was $171 per month. If you send me your regular email, I'll send you the spreadsheet I did.

After I got the services, I found out if I refer people, we both can save some money - but you have to mention my acct # - thus the reason for the "private message". Direct TV gave me a coupon where you get $100 in bill credits and I also get $100 in bill credits (when ordering give them “Friend’s Account # 064961712). Then Century Link has a promo where I get $50 off my bill and you get $10 off every month for the 1st 5 months (you need to give them my phone # 352 430-2889).

I ended up getting Direct TV via Sams Club (had to upgrade my membership from regular to "Plus" - cost $35 but Direct TV discounts much greater than that if I was a "Plus" member - plus will be cancelling upgrade in a few days and get most of it back in refunds.

Then I went to Century Link to get internet. They gave me a 5yr price guarantee for internet service - and found out that after 1st yr, the cost for Internet alone was the same as for both internet and phone. I hadn't planned on getting a home phone (was just going to use my cell) but with it being the same price, with or without the phone, I decided to get phone service also.

I haven't gotten my actual bill yet but if their written representations are correct, I saved between $16 & $42 a month, for a 2 yr savings of $390 to $1,012.

If you're interested reply(private msg) with you're email address and I'll send you the spreadsheet, etc. - good luck in your search - lol - very frustrating for me.

I sure would like to see the spreadsheet on TV, internet, phone costs in The Villages.
Wayne at
jwayne1405@cableone.net

asianthree 05-24-2012 07:44 AM

I would go with brighthouse

gomoho 05-26-2012 06:32 PM

Is Brighthouse available in Hadley?