Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   A good blender?? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/good-blender-55695/)

hulababy 06-27-2012 07:04 AM

A good blender??

hi ladies I just bought another blender Oster and it does not work well. I try to make smoothies often so basically all they consist of is frozen fruit. when the motor turns on it blends what is on bottom of glass however the frozen items near top never get touched. Therefore it seems to me the power isnt sufficient enough. anyone else experience this or can recommend a great blender?? Prior to this one I had bought for $100 a Better Homes and Garden one and that had same problem. They just don't make things the way they used to.

Send suggestions my way for a blender that REALLLY WORKS GOOD!! thanks

BeeGee 06-27-2012 07:11 AM

I've tried a lot of brands, but....

Cuisinart SmartPower Deluxe Blender has lasted longer than the others - it works great....has a glass jar which was very important to me and it stands up to the job of making smoothies, several times a week - Kohl's has it on sale this week, too!!! Wish you luck!!!

PJOHNS2654 06-27-2012 08:13 AM

We add milk, yogurt vanilla, and one fruit(frozen) start on slow speed and then blend, add another frozen fruit and do the same.

graciegirl 06-27-2012 08:15 AM

Glad to hear of a top notch blender. VERY occasionally we make homemade malts and our Oster isn't up to the job.

Sable99 06-27-2012 08:32 AM

I have a Vitamix and love it. I love it so much that when I drive to Florida I take it with me!! It is a little pricey though. I got mine at QVC when it was a TSV.

I make protein shakes every day -- sometimes twice a day. My shakes have a frozen banana and several frozen strawberries and the Vitamix pulvarizes them. Also it gets rid of seeds and you can blend up gel caps.

The Vitamix is made in Ohio and I think it has a 5 year warranty. The warranty may be longer.

quirky3 06-27-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hulababy (Post 512539)
hi ladies I just bought another blender Oster and it does not work well. I try to make smoothies often so basically all they consist of is frozen fruit. when the motor turns on it blends what is on bottom of glass however the frozen items near top never get touched. Therefore it seems to me the power isnt sufficient enough. anyone else experience this or can recommend a great blender?? Prior to this one I had bought for $100 a Better Homes and Garden one and that had same problem. They just don't make things the way they used to.

Send suggestions my way for a blender that REALLLY WORKS GOOD!! thanks

Hi - frozen fruit sometimes clumps and freezes together, and will not sink to the bottom near the blades. A few ideas - like one other poster said, add liquid to encourage movement; also you can thaw the fruit a little. I have read reviews of high-powered blenders on Amazon.com and people still complain about the formation of an air bubble that keeps the food from the blender blades. I think it is more related to what you are blending.

texasfal 06-27-2012 08:37 AM

Gotta get a Ninja. My husband makes smoothies all the time and he swears by his Ninja.

gomoho 06-27-2012 08:55 AM

I love my Ninja as well - make a smoothie every morning and yes the key is to have a small amount of liquid in the bottom.

lightworker888 06-27-2012 09:24 AM

I have a Vitamix and have had it for over 20+ yrs. and it is still going strong. A number of years ago my DH put it in the dishwasher and the blade seized and Vitamix sent us a new blade unit free and we have been using it ever since and adding soap and putting it on low to wash it out. It is very easy to clean and no parts to get misplaced. It crushes ice for smoothies and purees anything that I have put in. We got ours at a Home Show and I know that you can probably get them on sale online these days. Money well spent when you consider the lifetime use. Don't think I'll ever have to replace it.

LW888

leenie24 06-27-2012 09:31 AM

I have used a number of blenders and the only one I swear by is Vitamixer. This blender is a mutlitasker. I make smoothees every day and I use frozen fruit, ice, raw vegetables, etc. It is expensive, however, to me it is worth it.

I also have a Ninja, which also works well and is less expensive.

RLNLB 06-27-2012 09:47 AM

Check out Vita Mix.

uujudy 06-27-2012 09:59 AM

Here's another vote for the Ninja. I bought mine from LadyDoc, who posted it for sale right here on TOTV, and it works great! It makes great smoothies & it also crushes ice for frozen beverages. It's the best blender I ever owned. Thanks, LadyDoc! :thumbup:

batman911 06-27-2012 11:04 AM

Smoothie Blenders | Blenders for Smoothies | Hamilton Beach

Hand Blender | Hand Held Blender | Hamilton Beach

mfp509 06-27-2012 06:55 PM

I also have the Vitamix and love it. Yes, it is expensive so I bought a refurbished one and it comes with the same warranty. Never had a problem.

lightworker888 06-27-2012 07:38 PM

Kristy,

I have a hunch that the Nutribullet is a spin off from the Magic Bullet. They also made a Kiddy Bullet for baby food and a few other similar blenders. We got a Magic Bullet Juicer and returned it as it had no power to really do much more than mixing drinks. Just a thought. I have learned that in this kind of product, you do get what you pay for, so make sure you figure out what you want to do with the appliance and that you get it from a source that will give you a refund should it not meet your needs. JMHO

LW888