Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Sports Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/sports-talk-132/)
-   -   How well will the US Women to in the '23 World Cup? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/sports-talk-132/how-well-will-us-women-23-world-cup-342765/)

Taltarzac725 07-22-2023 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2237726)
Find it very helpful to fall asleep.

Unless the teams are very mismatched the games are usually mostly defense. Most of the world loves soccer or as they call it -- football.

And the foot rarely hits the ball in football as played by many in the United States.

fishon 07-22-2023 01:09 PM

Probably not going to be fun to watch. The U.S. Women’s team lost to a team of 15 year old boys. Meh.

Taltarzac725 07-22-2023 04:35 PM

Some of the other teams which have played look like they are quite good.

pokeefe45@aol.com 07-22-2023 10:56 PM

Was looking forward to watching the game against Vietnam until I saw most of the team deciding to not participate in our national anthem-No 'hands on heart' or any sing along participation. Are they representing this country or not? I'm not even sure what exactly they were protesting-I thought they all just got a big equal pay win? Hate to ruin a good soccer conversation, but their inactions ruined my enjoyment. And please, don't mistake my comments here for a political diatribe, because whether you are right or left wing, it's still our country's national anthem.

Maker 07-23-2023 10:19 AM

They have a history of disrespecting this country. I have no use for that in my life.

Taltarzac725 07-23-2023 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maker (Post 2238083)
They have a history of disrespecting this country. I have no use for that in my life.

They love this country and the values that created it. We need to keep out of politics on TOTV.

fishon 07-23-2023 12:17 PM

You are wrong. They obviously do not.

Battlebasset 07-23-2023 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokeefe45@aol.com (Post 2237914)
Was looking forward to watching the game against Vietnam until I saw most of the team deciding to not participate in our national anthem-No 'hands on heart' or any sing along participation. Are they representing this country or not? I'm not even sure what exactly they were protesting-I thought they all just got a big equal pay win? Hate to ruin a good soccer conversation, but their inactions ruined my enjoyment. And please, don't mistake my comments here for a political diatribe, because whether you are right or left wing, it's still our country's national anthem.

I'm OK with them not singing/hand over the heart. But they should stand in respect, which all of them did, so I'm OK with continuing to watch and support them.

Battlebasset 07-23-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 2237685)
How long before some guy feels he should play on the girls team? That will change things.

Megan Rapinoe, one of their star players, has said she would welcome trans players. She is conveniently retiring this year, so, of course, she will never have to deal with that.

So I would tell all male soccer players that can't make the male MLS to declare they are women and try out for female MLS. And basketball players, the WNBA. Pretty soon, females will only be able to play pick up games, as biological males will dominate every sport.

Number 10 GI 07-23-2023 01:38 PM

On your poll choices, you forgot one.

Who Cares?

Maker 07-24-2023 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 2238089)
They love this country and the values that created it. We need to keep out of politics on TOTV.

Actions are not politics. Their conduct has been disgusting in the past, and again currently.

HISTORY via Newsweek:
Among the players who stayed silent was forward Megan Rapinoe, who ahead of the 2019 World Cup told Yahoo Sports that she was probably never going to sing the national anthem again. The player was the first in the team to kneel down during the anthem following NFL player Colin Kaepernick's protest against racial injustice in 2016, and the first white athlete to do so.

PRESENT ACTIONS:
Stand in silence for the national anthem as most other coaches and fans sing along. Many looking down or elsewhere, other than at the flag. As if they cannot tolerate being there. That's not how people act who are proud of the country they represent in front of the rest of the world.
Meanwhile, Vietnam team shown clearly proud of their country and national anthem and were all singing it.

Joeint 07-24-2023 07:49 AM

After seeing a report most of the team failed to sing or hold their hand over their heart during the national anthem I no longer consider them an American team.

Whitley 07-24-2023 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laker (Post 2237281)
So Australia is thinking they have a shot at winning?
Their women's team got beat by a boys 15 and Under team not too long ago.
Oh well... go Aussies!

FC Dallas under-15 boys squad beat the U.S. Women’s National Team in a scrimmage. I'd advise the women's teams STOP playing teen boys. WTH?

Whitley 07-24-2023 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 2238089)

Is saying the womens team is disrespectful to the flag, right or wrong, politics? I didn't know that was a specific political party.

Whitley 07-24-2023 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokeefe45@aol.com (Post 2237914)

Everyone of the Vietnamese had their hands on their heart and sang their anthem.