Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   3 Way Light Switches (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/3-way-light-switches-281512/)

Two Bills 01-06-2019 12:25 PM

Upon completion of repair, please make sure switch securing screws are positioned with grooves pointing North to South.
OCD patrols are in force in The Villages!!:icon_wink:

Chi-Town 01-06-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO (Post 1613680)
Either incorrect wiring or a bad switch. Yes, they do go bad.

I think that in the end, you'll find that one of the two 3-way switches is bad.

They do go bad. Had it happen up north and twice here recently.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

B-flat 01-06-2019 12:40 PM

Thanks everyone for the input good suggestions and a special thanks about the OCD patrols!! :) :)

villagetinker 01-06-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-flat (Post 1613778)
Thank you for the suggestion.

Regarding switches going bad I understand that is possible but all my current and former Rhode Island homes never had the issue. I’m not doubting you it just seems unlikely for the following reason. This is now 2 separate homes they were an issue, first our rental in the winter of 2018 and now in our preowned villa. Plus a friend of mine had the same issue in his newly purchased villa in 2017.

VillageThinker, Thank you for the suggestions, I’ve been around electronics and electricity most of my life. I don’t have an Ohm meter here with me.

I actually have 3 or 4, harbor freight has them for less than $10. If you can wait a couple of weeks, I am very busy with another project, and as soon as it is done, I could give you a hand, let me know.

Toymeister 01-06-2019 08:08 PM

Here is a better option

Don't spend 10.00 for a meter. Get one for free, with any purchase, for any amount.
Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Database - Free coupons, 25 percent off coupons, toolbox coupons - 7 FUNCTION DIGITAL MULTIMETER

B-flat 01-07-2019 07:17 AM

Village Thinker thank you for the offer, if I need assistance I will contact you.

Toymeister, thanks for the lead on the free digital multimeter!

DangeloInspections 01-07-2019 07:59 AM

As others here have wisely stated, it is either the traveler conductor not wired correctly or a bad switch. I'm guessing the traveler conductor. We find this all the time during our warranty inspections.

The trades are constantly looking for more help. It is difficult to find qualified help in the trades. Also, there may be some pressure to get the job done quickly, and mistakes happen. We would not be so busy if this were not the case.

One should note that in some model homes, especially the designer and premier homes, you can and will find some four way switches. They are a tad more complicated to wire. I've wired a good many homes and I confess that I have to think a moment when wiring these.

If you are not comfortable doing electrical, then I would advise calling a electrician to fix this. You may want to think about any other electrical projects you want to have done to lower the cost.

If you do want to try this yourself, it is pretty simple. You may want to buy a new switch and change the switch(es), wiring it the same way. If it still does this, then you know it IS the traveler conductor, (my first guess). You can take a picture of the wiring with your phone so you do not get confused, and can put it back the way it was.

You would be surprised what some folks will live with, and in some cases never notice. We find some crazy things is some houses....doorknobs installed backwards, etc. With switches, some may just think "that's the way it's supposed to be I guess...."

Frank

DeanFL 01-07-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1613793)
Upon completion of repair, please make sure switch securing screws are positioned with grooves pointing North to South.
OCD patrols are in force in The Villages!!:icon_wink:

OMG. read your comment. Hit the nail on the head for me - I always did/do this when reinstalling elec plates. Thus, yet another reason for my by-line below...