Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   what's your thoughts on this (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/whats-your-thoughts-299954/)

Becky& 11-18-2019 09:44 PM

I think this is simply a plan by TV to make more money. I think the plan is abhorrent. Why take a nice holiday event and make it accessible to people that have more money than others. The joy of Christmas is sucked right out of the whole idea. I would never pay to attend this event and probably at this point wouldn’t pay if it was free.

John_W 11-18-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky& (Post 1695994)
I think this is simply a plan by TV to make more money. I think the plan is abhorrent. Why take a nice holiday event and make it accessible to people that have more money than others. The joy of Christmas is sucked right out of the whole idea. I would never pay to attend this event and probably at this point wouldn’t pay if it was free.

The 50 VIP Seats have been sold out. So if you're going to the tree lighting on the 30th, you have to sit in the free grandstands or one of several hundred free folding chairs, or in the chair you brought from home, or in your golf cart, but not the VIP tent.

If you see this VIP tent tucked in between the grandstands, it's sold out, so sit somewhere else. BTW, the profits go to Charity, not the TV as you say.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d0&oe=5E846246

Velvet 11-18-2019 09:57 PM

‘All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. A proclamation by the pigs who control the government in the novel Animal Farm, by George Orwell.’

(Sorry, I just couldn’t help myself.)

Marlene36 11-18-2019 10:15 PM

Horrible idea - who benefits from the $ collected? Prices also excessive - they just light the tree, no big name Savannah center entertainment either.

mjpuleo 11-18-2019 10:16 PM

I never complain about The Villages and I get upset when people do complain, but for the first time I have to say I don't like the idea of even suggesting for paying to see the tree lighting. I've been living here for 10 years and every year the tree lighting on all the squares is a delightful event. Why put a price on it now?? It don't make sense because you can see the tree lit any other night. Please don't allow this.

John_W 11-18-2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlene36 (Post 1696001)
Horrible idea - who benefits from the $ collected? Prices also excessive - they just light the tree, no big name Savannah center entertainment either.

Read post #82, it's a couple before yours. It will explain it all.

John_W 11-18-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjpuleo (Post 1696002)
I never complain about The Villages and I get upset when people do complain, but for the first time I have to say I don't like the idea of even suggesting for paying to see the tree lighting. I've been living here for 10 years and every year the tree lighting on all the squares is a delightful event. Why put a price on it now?? It don't make sense because you can see the tree lit any other night. Please don't allow this.

Sorry, they can't accept your money, the VIP seats are sold out. Read post #82, it will explain it all.

champion6 11-18-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1695918)
No one is making anyone pay to see this. It is STILL free, and everything you got for free last year, will still be available for free this year.

They are charging for FOOD, DRINKS, and seating under a canopy at a table for crying out loud. You have to pay for that already now, so that isn't changing either.

:agree:
:boom:
That post sums it up. 'Nuf said. Time to close this tread.

CWGUY 11-19-2019 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1695988)
Just so I know before we move there, what are the other Village's rip offs?

:ohdear: Why ask..... you know more than most. :coolsmiley:

graciegirl 11-19-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1695995)
The 50 VIP Seats have been sold out. So if you're going to the tree lighting on the 30th, you have to sit in the free grandstands or one of several hundred free folding chairs, or in the chair you brought from home, or in your golf cart, but not the VIP tent.

If you see this VIP tent tucked in between the grandstands, it's sold out, so sit somewhere else. BTW, the profits go to Charity, not the TV as you say.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d0&oe=5E846246

There is no charge to see the Christmas Tree Lighting at any of the three squares in The Villages. There is a "VIP Tent" in Brownwood, that you can pay to sit and have drinks and part of the money goes to Charity. BUT IT IS SOLD OUT. Quell rumors. Squash gossip. Use common sense.

dewilson58 11-19-2019 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1695988)
Just so I know before we move there, what are the other Village's rip offs?

By far the biggest Village's rip off: Once I got only one pickle on my cheeseburger.

graciegirl 11-19-2019 06:57 AM

There is no charge to see the Christmas Tree Lighting at any of the three squares in The Villages. There is a "VIP Tent" in Brownwood, that you can pay to sit and have drinks and part of the money goes to Charity. It is sold out. There is NO charge to see the Christmas Tree lighting at any of the three squares in The Villages. The entertainment business that runs these things was sold to a private individual four years ago.

Bogie Shooter 11-19-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1696017)
:ohdear: Why ask..... you know more than most. :coolsmiley:

:thumbup:

geobet 11-19-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1695506)
:icon_wink: That's an easy one...... it's their seats not yours! They can save seats and you can't. You can still go. There is still a free option (paid for by selling seats) for others. Takes a crane, 2 trucks, 5-6 guys, and 2 nights to set up and decorate the tree. Wonder how much that costs...... nobody posts asking that! Thank you Entertainment Dept. :ho:

What happened to my reply talking about how Harold Schwartz is rolling over in his grave at the thought of charging for extra privilege? At least provide a response rather than refuse to publish my reply.

Bogie Shooter 11-19-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geobet (Post 1696071)
What happened to my reply talking about how Harold Schwartz is rolling over in his grave at the thought of charging for extra privilege? At least provide a response rather than refuse to publish my reply.

Wow! CWGuy now has capability to add or delete posts?

CWGUY 11-19-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1696073)
Wow! CWGuy now has capability to add or delete posts?

One of my many :super: powers!

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl: But I only use it in positive ways...... not like "Underdog"

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 11-19-2019 09:10 AM

What happens if you pay for the seats appetizers and drinks and it's pouring rain that night?

JSR22 11-19-2019 09:13 AM

Rain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1696079)
What happens if you pay for the seats appetizers and drinks and it's pouring rain that night?

Te table and chairs are under a tent.

CWGUY 11-19-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1696079)

:) Ask the people that paid for the 4th. of July VIP section. I think it rained that night.

bagboy 11-19-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geobet (Post 1696071)

Harold was cremated.

Bigjoe505 11-19-2019 10:26 AM

I've been coming to the Villages since 1982,when my parents bought a singlewide mobile home in OBG. I tore that mobile home down in 2016 and built a house on the lot. I chose to stay in OBG because I believe its one of the prettiest sections of The Villages. The town square entertainment has always been free up to now. Selling seats and table space is a way for the entertainment dept. to recover expenses. As long as there is still a free option, I see no reason to complain about the more affluent citizens of The Villages living a lifestyle that is more ostentatious than most others. LOL After all, I can remember when the most elaborate house in the villages was Mr. Swartz double wide on the corner of Aloha and Tarrson and people complained that it took up 2 lots. Some people will always complain. it's human nature.

Bogie Shooter 11-19-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjoe505 (Post 1696113)
I've been coming to the Villages since 1982,when my parents bought a singlewide mobile home in OBG. I tore that mobile home down in 2016 and built a house on the lot. I chose to stay in OBG because I believe its one of the prettiest sections of The Villages. The town square entertainment has always been free up to now. Selling seats and table space is a way for the entertainment dept. to recover expenses. As long as there is still a free option, I see no reason to complain about the more affluent citizens of The Villages living a lifestyle that is more ostentatious than most others. LOL After all, I can remember when the most elaborate house in the villages was Mr. Swartz double wide on the corner of Aloha and Tarrson and people complained that it took up 2 lots. Some people will always complain. it's human nature.

Well said, puts it all into prospective...…..

PennBF 11-19-2019 11:41 AM

The Point IS

The point is this is an attempt to get incremental revenue or revenue that is new and was not a part of the prior revenue streams. Now think of the many ways the Developer, Commercial Business, Vendors, Rental's ,etc etc..can and will use this route as needed. Now consider the many avenues available to increase year to year new revenue 's? (.g. pool usage, seats at squares, parking, new fines, internal categories of the Amentie fees, taxes, etc etc). These are under the authority of either the Developer, Various Gov't (Both Village and State)amd business. As an example the current incremental revenue for the Christmas Tree is being assigned to the owner of the Entertainment Vendor although it can be assumed the Developer will receive some, etc. In addition the current revenue streams will be increased as a basis for covering on going costs. A potential serious concern is the lack of control or influence the residents have in any of the decisions regarding "Village" impacts. Just opinion I personally believe using a religious line item which is more for children than adults and should be viewed as such before making it harder for some to have equal enjoyment and making it more comfortable with tent and location. :ho:

graciegirl 11-19-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjoe505 (Post 1696113)

Worth reading again.

fmazack 11-19-2019 12:33 PM

One way to stop this is, don't attend. The tree will be there many nights and I'll see it when I don't have to pay. If enough people stop attending and don't buy tickets, it will send a big message to those in charge.

Velvet 11-19-2019 12:34 PM

I think that those who object to commercializing a religious symbol, (most Christians I think) should stay away. I consider asking for payment to watch a Christmas tree being lit up is in bad taste. Look, if you can’t afford to put up a Christmas tree, then don’t do it. Other forms of entertainment you can charge a price for, but this verges on insulting, if I am reading these posts correctly. Christmas represents the birth of Christ, born in a stable, no admission was required.

CWGUY 11-19-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmazack (Post 1696137)
One way to stop this is, don't attend. The tree will be there many nights and I'll see it when I don't have to pay. If enough people stop attending and don't buy tickets, it will send a big message to those in charge.

What part of " You don't HAVE to pay that night " are people not understanding?

One more time and I'll type slow..... " You don't HAVE to pay that night " What are you and others not understanding? :boom:

CWGUY 11-19-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1696138)
I think that those who object to commercializing a religious symbol, (most Christians I think) should stay away. I consider asking for payment to watch a Christmas tree being lit up is in bad taste. Look, if you can’t afford to put up a Christmas tree, then don’t do it. Other forms of entertainment you can charge a price for, but this verges on insulting, if I am reading these posts correctly. Christmas represents the birth of Christ, born in a stable, no admission was required.

:ohdear: I'm telling Santa on you!

Velvet 11-19-2019 12:49 PM

Not good enough, sorry, get some other money making venture and leave religious symbols out of it.

Velvet 11-19-2019 12:50 PM

Santa is not a religious symbol although associated. The Christmas tree symbolizes to some of us the birth of the savior.

Bogie Shooter 11-19-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennBF (Post 1696130)
The point is this is an attempt to get incremental revenue or revenue that is new and was not a part of the prior revenue streams. Now think of the many ways the Developer, Commercial Business, Vendors, Rental's ,etc etc..can and will use this route as needed. Now consider the many avenues available to increase year to year new revenue 's? (.g. pool usage, seats at squares, parking, new fines, internal categories of the Amentie fees, taxes, etc etc). These are under the authority of either the Developer, Various Gov't (Both Village and State)amd business. As an example the current incremental revenue for the Christmas Tree is being assigned to the owner of the Entertainment Vendor although it can be assumed the Developer will receive some, etc. In addition the current revenue streams will be increased as a basis for covering on going costs. A potential serious concern is the lack of control or influence the residents have in any of the decisions regarding "Village" impacts. Just opinion I personally believe using a religious line item which is more for children than adults and should be viewed as such before making it harder for some to have equal enjoyment and making it more comfortable with tent and location. :ho:

Sorry, but the sky is not falling.

CWGUY 11-19-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1696142)
Not good enough, sorry, get some other money making venture and leave religious symbols out of it.

:ho: Nothing says the BIRTH of CHRIST like a 25 foot lighted pine tree??? :shocked:

Bogie Shooter 11-19-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmazack (Post 1696137)

Sure, why do something that some charity might benefit from.

CWGUY 11-19-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1696147)
Sorry, but the sky is not falling.

:icon_wink: But.... some keep hoping!

Bogie Shooter 11-19-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1696142)

Did you miss the charity part??

CWGUY 11-19-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1696146)
Santa is not a religious symbol although associated. The Christmas tree symbolizes to some of us the birth of the savior.

:what:

Velvet 11-19-2019 01:12 PM

I’m sure there may be some people who will agree with you. Charity is not good enough. If we took one of your precious symbols and use it in a crass way...

OrangeBlossomBaby 11-19-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1696138)

The fact that it's an evergreen tree being lit up for Christmas is, by definition, commercialization of a religious symbol.

The origins of an evergreen tree during December being a religious symbol are pagan, not Christian. The European Christians stole the concept during the Crusades and claimed it symbolized their savior, who was a) not white, b) not European, c) not born in December, and d) lived in and came from a place where these particular evergreen trees didn't exist.

If commercialization of religious holidays offends you, then don't light your own tree, don't buy presents for Christmas, don't do any shopping during Christmas sales, and avoid any place that decorates for Christmas or plays Christmas music in their stores.

It'll certainly cut down on the overcrowding during the holidays and make things much more pleasant for the rest of us, who acknowledge that the whole thing is commercialized, but need a quart of milk that day.

CWGUY 11-19-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1696159)
The fact that it's an evergreen tree being lit up for Christmas is, by definition, commercialization of a religious symbol.

The origins of an evergreen tree during December being a religious symbol are pagan, not Christian. The European Christians stole the concept during the Crusades and claimed it symbolized their savior, who was a) not white, b) not European, c) not born in December, and d) lived in and came from a place where these particular evergreen trees didn't exist.

If commercialization of religious holidays offends you, then don't light your own tree, don't buy presents for Christmas, don't do any shopping during Christmas sales, and avoid any place that decorates for Christmas or plays Christmas music in their stores.

It'll certainly cut down on the overcrowding during the holidays and make things much more pleasant for the rest of us, who acknowledge that the whole thing is commercialized, but need a quart of milk that day.

:ho: Yeah! What she said! :icon_wink:

Velvet 11-19-2019 01:35 PM

Ok, I buy that as long as they put up the Evergreen tree in July and not near the birth of Christ and don’t call it a Christmas tree, they can light it till the cows come home. Some branches of Christianity do not give gifts at Christmas.
People of many faiths enjoy some Christmas traditions. I’m okay with that. But this isn’t that.
What bothers me is the attempt at secularizing and making money off what is a religious symbol to some of us.

And I’d like to add one more thing, thank you for letting me express my views, whether you agree with them or not. This is another example of why TV is so wonderful.