Uninsured motorist coverage

Old 03-01-2024, 06:09 PM
Veteran member
Default Uninsured motorist coverage

While trying to get a quote today we were were told by an insurance agent that we did not need to have Uninsured Motorist coverage. He said that Medicare would cover our medical. Does anyone know if this is true? I did search online and it said yes, that Medicare would cover us for medical, just not for other things UNI would cover...loss of wages, mental anguish, the car itself, etc. We're curious if anyone has dropped their Uninsured Motorist coverages. I never really gave it any thought, just always had it. Thanks...

Last edited by Lovey2; 03-01-2024 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,810 Times in 5,294 Posts

There is another recent thread on this topic. Here is the link:

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

What your agent told you is absolutely correct. In some states, UM insurance is mandatory, but not in Florida. I have never purchased UM insurance since moving to Florida. I consider it a waste of money.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,263 Times in 2,286 Posts

I recently saw an article that seemed to indicate Florida had the highest percentage of uninsured motorist, so if you do not have thus coverage, I guess you will need to cover your own losses out of your pocket.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There is another recent thread on this topic. Here is the link:

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

What your agent told you is absolutely correct. In some states, UM insurance is mandatory, but not in Florida. I have never purchased UM insurance since moving to Florida. I consider it a waste of money.
Thanks. Don't know how I missed it. Very interesting. My hubs is with you. Guess we'll drop it. Thanks again...
Old 03-01-2024, 08:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
Thanks. Don't know how I missed it. Very interesting. My hubs is with you. Guess we'll drop it. Thanks again...
I would just correct something about what your agent said. Your car is already covered by your collision and comprehensive coverage. As far as mental anguish and "pain and suffering", if you want coverage for these, you better buy several millions in UM coverage because you will need a good lawyer to sue your insurance company and collect on it. If you only buy $100K to $200K, like most people do, a good lawyer would not even take the case.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Chance of getting in a catastrophic accident are not high. As a senior if you did have a bad accident, your chances of dying are higher. If so, your spouse would get all of the proceeds if you were injured badly in an accident and if the responsible party did not have adequate insurance. Younger person=different story
Old 03-02-2024, 07:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I would just correct something about what your agent said. Your car is already covered by your collision and comprehensive coverage. As far as mental anguish and "pain and suffering", if you want coverage for these, you better buy several millions in UM coverage because you will need a good lawyer to sue your insurance company and collect on it. If you only buy $100K to $200K, like most people do, a good lawyer would not even take the case.
Thanks...yeah. I think at some point I was confused about the car also and threw that in there. I kinda knew that. Just felt really dopey I insisted on the coverage. Big win for the hubs on this one, but I'm a fairly graceful loser!! Truthfully, I'm a little annoyed with Villages Insurance that they never mentioned this. We are all pretty much retirees here and that little factoid (not needing it) would have been interesting. I hate jumping around every year, but I have asked them about lowering it annually. They told us Hyundai's (we have 2) were a big theft risk. That was actually true for a bit, but....This agent was a mail troller my hubs called and I am actually gonna change it to him. The Villages had more than a few years to tell me this. Thanks for weighing in.

Last edited by Lovey2; 03-02-2024 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Chance of getting in a catastrophic accident are not high. As a senior if you did have a bad accident, your chances of dying are higher. If so, your spouse would get all of the proceeds if you were injured badly in an accident and if the responsible party did not have adequate insurance. Younger person=different story
Yep...thank you
Old 03-02-2024, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,813 Times in 1,269 Posts

Quote:
It seems like more people here I know are injured in golf cart accidents than car.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,813 Times in 1,269 Posts

Quote:
It seems like more people here I've heard of are injured in golf cart accidents than car.

They get hit by a car and thrown out or make a hard turn and throw a passenger not wearing a seat belt head first into the curb.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
While trying to get a quote today we were were told by an insurance agent that we did not need to have Uninsured Motorist coverage. He said that Medicare would cover our medical. Does anyone know if this is true? I did search online and it said yes, that Medicare would cover us for medical, just not for other things UNI would cover...loss of wages, mental anguish, the car itself, etc. We're curious if anyone has dropped their Uninsured Motorist coverages. I never really gave it any thought, just always had it. Thanks...
The agent said that you do not need Unisured Motororist Coverage. I disagree. He could have also said that you do not need collision or comprehensive.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:09 AM

No no no, don't listen to the people that say skip the uninsured and under insured motorist coverage. I was an insurance agent for forty years and we always added UM/UIM to the policy. With more and more drivers going around with no insurance or the state minimum coverage you need to carry UM/UIM. I have seen claims paid under both conditions and for the person that got into an accident that was not their fault and was suing the driver that was at fault which had no insurance it is nearly impossible to recover any money. Look if they don't bother to carry insurance you can bet they don't have many assets to go after. Look at the premium for the UM/UIM and decide is it worth it to have protection in a law suit if the at fault drive does not carry insurance or his insurance is inadequate? You buy auto insurance to protect you from liability claim in case you make an error in driving and you get sued. Why in the world would you not want to have the same coverage if the other driver makes an error and you are busted up and can no longer do the same functions that you did before the accident. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, enough said!
Old 03-03-2024, 05:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustnotes View Post
No no no, don't listen to the people that say skip the uninsured and under insured motorist coverage. I was an insurance agent for forty years and we always added UM/UIM to the policy. With more and more drivers going around with no insurance or the state minimum coverage you need to carry UM/UIM. I have seen claims paid under both conditions and for the person that got into an accident that was not their fault and was suing the driver that was at fault which had no insurance it is nearly impossible to recover any money. Look if they don't bother to carry insurance you can bet they don't have many assets to go after. Look at the premium for the UM/UIM and decide is it worth it to have protection in a law suit if the at fault drive does not carry insurance or his insurance is inadequate? You buy auto insurance to protect you from liability claim in case you make an error in driving and you get sued. Why in the world would you not want to have the same coverage if the other driver makes an error and you are busted up and can no longer do the same functions that you did before the accident. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, enough said!
One of the common misconceptions about uninsured motorist insurance is that it provides personal liability protection for yourself. It doesn't provide any protection at all. That is why you need personal liability insurance for yourself, but you don't need UM insurance.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I read recently that 25% of Florida drivers have no auto insurance period. UM is a must in my opinion.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I read recently that 25% of Florida drivers have no auto insurance period. UM is a must in my opinion.
For what exactly? What will it cover that you don't have? Not being a smart A...just asking because I'm curious. What will it provide me that I don't have?

Tags
uninsured, motorist, cover, wages, loss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.