Policy Change

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills
Default Policy Change

Some of you may have read on another thread on the new 2017 Yamaha's, that while making a decision recently on buying a new golf cart, a 2017 EFI Yamaha, I did some investigating as I was being given different information by The Villages Golf Car Stores and Carts and Clubs in Ocala. While there were a few different areas I needed clarification on, one of the big ones was about how the cart is set. The Villages would only set them at 20 mph and Carts and Clubs sets them at 23 mph, the reason being it is a high performance clutch and the higher setting was said to be better for the cart. That does not mean you drive it faster, but it is set for better performance for the clutch.

Being not informed on this topic, I called Corporate Yamaha, where I was told it is better for the cart to be set at 23 because of the high performance clutch on the cart. So I decided to buy from Carts and Clubs for many reasons, but that being one of the main ones as they seemed better informed. I told Villages Golf Car store that was part of the reason I did not buy from them, as they had only negative things to say about that setting and the warranty for the golf cart. It does not, by the way, negate the warranty according to Yamaha.

After sending the email to the Villages Golf Car salesman, I got a call from the Manager of all of the Golf Car stores in The Villages wanting to know what Yamaha told me, and I informed him that Yamaha said the higher setting was better for the cart.

Well The Villages called Yamaha, and then Yamaha called me insisting on knowing who I talked to at Yamaha and what they said. I was told their staff should not have said that the cart runs better set at 23 and would not tell me if that was the right information.

I can only imagine this raised issues between Yamaha and The Villages, because The Villages is losing business to Ocala because of this being one of the major reasons.

Long story short, I have two friends moving here, a married couple, and they are buying two carts. I had told them about my conversations with The Villages, Carts and Clubs and Yamaha. So my friends inquired with The Villages Golf Car stores. Seems The Villages has now changed their policy and will be setting the carts at 23, Yamaha has told them it is the better setting.

That means that carts that are set at 23 should now be able to be serviced in The Villages if that is what the Villages carts are now being set at. They have been refusing to service carts set at over 20. Now they will be selling the new 2017's set at 23 so should service carts bought elsewhere with the same settings.

Check it out. Seems my trying to chase down the truth from Yamaha after being told something different locally has resulted in a major change in how the new golf carts are being sold in The Villages. Did not know that my inquisitiveness would cause such a raucous or change a major policy in the sale of carts. Competition really is good for our economy!
Old 02-11-2017, 09:52 PM
Platinum member

My cart from The Villages is set at " 20.6" but goes at 22 to 23. You will love the service from The Villages.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:55 PM

Good job. I wonder about the refurb's since I'll be buying one within the next 10 days.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:03 PM
Sage

I've ordered a 2017 Yesteryear golf cart with quieTech technology.
It will be interesting to hear what The Villages Golf Cart Store has to say about speed settings.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Just be aware that in driving a cart that is capable of going over 20 MPH, you are according to Florida law, driving a low speed vehicle and not a golf cart. It does not matter that you are never going to go above 20, the fact that it can go above 20 determines the classification. Be prepared to properly license this LSV or take your chances on law enforcement not catching you. It will be a big money making opportunity for the Sumter Co police to simply stop and ticket all 2017 Yamaha carts for being unlicensed LSVs.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Just be aware that in driving a cart that is capable of going over 20 MPH, you are according to Florida law, driving a low speed vehicle and not a golf cart. It does not matter that you are never going to go above 20, the fact that it can go above 20 determines the classification. Be prepared to properly license this LSV or take your chances on law enforcement not catching you. It will be a big money making opportunity for the Sumter Co police to simply stop and ticket all 2017 Yamaha carts for being unlicensed LSVs.

You beat me to it, you are correct.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
The vast majority of the carts on TV MMP's go over 20 mph. It's like a car being able to go 90 mph...who cares as long as driven speed is reasonable and driver is cautious.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
The vast majority of the carts on TV MMP's go over 20 mph. It's like a car being able to go 90 mph...who cares as long as driven speed is reasonable and driver is cautious.

Can't compare an automobile to a LSV. Any golf cart modified to exceed 20 mph is not a LSV and is subject to all statues required to put that vehicle in compliance. If not in compliance the operator can be subject to fines.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:49 AM
Gold member

Last summer I had a high speed cooling fan installed in my cart at the Brownwood service center. They told me if my cart was set to 23 it would be set to 20. I protested and they gave me a waiver to sign releasing them from having to lower the speed. They will service carts set to over 20 with the waiver.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:26 AM
Sage

You can't stop someone without a reason. Suspecting the cart can go over 20 mph is not a reason. You would need to be observed exceeding 20 mph on county roads. Also, Sumter County police cannot ticket you on the MMPs for speeding (or more precisely, operating an unlicensed LSV). DUI is another issue as they can arrest you in your driveway or anywhere else for that offense.

Quote:
Old 02-12-2017, 07:38 AM

If a cop stops you for going 22 mph in a golf cart, then he/she needs to get a life. There are bigger fish to fry. (Btw, I am a retired cop.)
Old 02-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Sage

This thread reappears periodically. Apparently people do get stopped for driving an unlicensed LSV on the roads but I suspect they are caught going closer to 30 mph than 20 mph. If someone on ToTV has been ticketed, it would be interesting to know how fast you were going. I believe there are a lot of people cruising along at 20-22 mph on the roads, perhaps a bit faster on the MMPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanentvacation View Post
If a cop stops you for going 22 mph in a golf cart, then he/she needs to get a life. There are bigger fish to fry. (Btw, I am a retired cop.)
Old 02-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Sage
Talking

Friends of mine are moving here soon so I wanted to show them around.

They want a elect cart (I'll add my solar panel to it)

So I brought them to Brownwood & LSL Villages Golf Carts to look around

Both salesman were like robots telling them how bad elec is one said they will only go 30 miles at best. To which I corrected him, manger jump in and agreed they go about 45 at brownwood.

LSL salesman was same deal they must all be trained by the same folks.

they both said the 17's had better mufflers to cut down the carbon dioxide smell of the exhaust. Just as he said that they drove a new 17 into showroom, I asked if smelled the exhaust he said no, we all looked at each other in shock!!!

I said do you realize you said the muffler removes carbon dioxide, he said yes it does........I told him its for noise not the smell..........he had no reply.

Asked to have the batteries upgraded to higher amp Rangers, he was deer in the headlights, brought out the service manager, said they wouldn't fit.

I asked why not, said they were too tall, I know for a fact they are only 1.5 inches taller, showed him that and he was bit baffled, said they never used them because they have the same power.

Again I explained they had 35% more amps and added range.

He backed off a bit when he realized I was knowledgeable about this subject.

So my friends asked what it would cost to have the Rangers installed.

$1300 ???? where the credit for the ones that came with the cart.............what wise guys.

Good thing I didn't ask them about lithium batteries!

Anyway their prices were extremely high my friends will shop outside the bubble.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
As much as it hurts to say it.....

...yours is the most common sense comment in the thread.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Gold member
Default So how long do the batteries last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Friends of mine are moving here soon so I wanted to show them around.

They want a elect cart (I'll add my solar panel to it)

So I brought them to Brownwood & LSL Villages Golf Carts to look around

Both salesman were like robots telling them how bad elec is one said they will only go 30 miles at best. To which I corrected him, manger jump in and agreed they go about 45 at brownwood.

LSL salesman was same deal they must all be trained by the same folks.

they both said the 17's had better mufflers to cut down the carbon dioxide smell of the exhaust. Just as he said that they drove a new 17 into showroom, I asked if smelled the exhaust he said no, we all looked at each other in shock!!!

I said do you realize you said the muffler removes carbon dioxide, he said yes it does........I told him its for noise not the smell..........he had no reply.

Asked to have the batteries upgraded to higher amp Rangers, he was deer in the headlights, brought out the service manager, said they wouldn't fit.

I asked why not, said they were too tall, I know for a fact they are only 1.5 inches taller, showed him that and he was bit baffled, said they never used them because they have the same power.

Again I explained they had 35% more amps and added range.

He backed off a bit when he realized I was knowledgeable about this subject.

So my friends asked what it would cost to have the Rangers installed.

$1300 ???? where the credit for the ones that came with the cart.............what wise guys.

Good thing I didn't ask them about lithium batteries!

Anyway their prices were extremely high my friends will shop outside the bubble.

and what is the replacement cost??? My gas engine is over 13 years old and still runs great. The benefits of gas over electric are numerous...the benefits of battery are they are very quiet...and that's the only benefit. Oh and every single electric cart I've ridden in slows considerably on hills(perhaps the new ones do not, but the replacement cost of batteries every 4 years or so at +$350 or so is ridiculous in my opinion). As to solar cells...the technology as of today dictates you will never recoup the cost.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, yamaha, carts, set, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.