feral kittens

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Default feral kittens

The "Winn Dixie" kittens that lovinganimals is helping desparately need to find homes or after being neutered will have to be returned to live their short lives in a parking lot. Please consider adopting one or, if possible, a pair. We rescued a feral kitten and she is a very lovable and social kitty. At first the kitten will hiss and be afraid but once it trust you, you will have a wonderful friend. It would be a shame to have a parking lot be their "forever home". Also, does anyone know of a farm where the adults and any kittens which are not adopted can go to? Thank you to everyone who feeds these cats. A special thank you to lovinganimals for all that you do for our outside furry friends.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Veteran member

So many people say the feral kittens won't be good house cats. Many years ago we had 2 feral kittens, from 2 litters, and we got them at a young age. They were affectionate, loving, and wonderful cats that lived to be in their 20's.

We are not in a position to adopt any cats (2 labs are not fond of cats) and hope anyone inclined to be thinking about a kitten as a pet, consider the feral ones that have an awful life. We found they can be a wonderful addition to a family of cat lovers.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Maybe posting pictures of the kittens may help in their possible adoption!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:47 PM

Yes. Photos, please!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Gold member

Where can you drop off cat food for the cats?
Old 10-25-2014, 08:54 AM

Thank you, Kitty Litter,
Yes, the kitten I caught last week is being held, carried and sleeping with its foster family, but it keeps looking for its littermates so that is why I am being told it is not adoptable. However, I think any cat that is taken from a colony will look for other cats for awhile. There are some beautiful kittens and I will post pictures Monday night after I trap. I think they would be wonderful pets. I have one I trapped last year that was estimated at 1 year old. She was hissing when I got her and as I type now, she is sleeping on my lap. These kittens are around 16 weeks old. One was limping and I haven't seen it recently so I am afraid something may have happened to it. But anyone who would like to adopt, or even foster these kittens for a few months, please let me know, as I have no where to keep them and have to let them go as I fix them. Or, if you know of anyone who can take them, let me know. I have called Sumter Humane Society and Cat Protectors and neither can take them. Petco is run by Pet Lover's Rescue and they won't take them as they are the ones who put the kitten I caught in a foster home and think it is not adoptable. Worst case scenario, you adopt one and if it doesn't work out, we release it back to the parking lot. But I don't think that would happen. I think they will make great pets.
Food for the cats can be dropped off at 2352 Sebring St. Keystone Villas, Village of Hadley. I will then give it to a man who mainly feeds them. I don't know where he lives, but he works at Winn Dixie and takes all the food they throw out every night (like chicken) and feeds them. I am sure he will appreciate being given cat food for them, and they need the taurine that cat food provides, just like we need certain vitamins.
Thank you everyone, and especially Kitty Litter, Bare, Duffy's Mom, Cfrance and everyone else who has offered their services. NOW LET'S FIND SOME HOMES FOR THESE KITTENS!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Sage
Default Bump

Molly the cat is bumping this post so that the feral kittens can find forever homes.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Sage

It breaks my heart that there are poor little feral kittens doomed for a short and unhappy life.
There are so many cats that "go missing" in The Villages and so many feral cats living in parking lots and on golf courses. Coyote food.

I know cats are sly little devils and slip out the door very easily.
But please neuter and microchip your cats so if they do escape, they can be returned home.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:03 AM
Veteran member

I continue to feed all the Embassy cats here in South Sudan. Just got 2 big bags of food in the pouch. However, I am having a real problem that I don't know what to do about. Maybe you have some suggestions. Someone put a 3 week old kitten on my porch (probably because they knew I fed the other cats). Anyway I have had her for over 2 weeks now. she has a bad cold (Sneezing constantly, running eyes and nose) that I can't get rid of (she's had it as long as I've had her.). There are NO VETS in this country and no pharmacy, so I can't get help. I can't give her human medicines, she's much too little. She doesn't seem to be growing either, but otherwise seems healthy. I found a home for her with a local staff assistant, I promised to give him a huge bag of food for her. She can't really eat dry food, I have to soak it to soften it for her. Anyway, I don't know how I can give this kitten to him. He is a local South Sudenese with very little money, he has 7 kids, no electricity, he has nothing really, but he has offered to take this kitten. But, how can I, in good conscience give him a sick kitten to bring home to his kids? What do I do? She can't make it on her own and I can't bring her home with me in December, no vets means no health certificate. I'm at my wits end and time is running out, I leave here in a month. Any ideas? If I could just get rid of her cold, I wouldn't feel so bad about giving her to him.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
I continue to feed all the Embassy cats here in South Sudan. Just got 2 big bags of food in the pouch. However, I am having a real problem that I don't know what to do about. Maybe you have some suggestions. Someone put a 3 week old kitten on my porch (probably because they knew I fed the other cats). Anyway I have had her for over 2 weeks now. she has a bad cold (Sneezing constantly, running eyes and nose) that I can't get rid of (she's had it as long as I've had her.). There are NO VETS in this country and no pharmacy, so I can't get help. I can't give her human medicines, she's much too little. She doesn't seem to be growing either, but otherwise seems healthy. I found a home for her with a local staff assistant, I promised to give him a huge bag of food for her. She can't really eat dry food, I have to soak it to soften it for her. Anyway, I don't know how I can give this kitten to him. He is a local South Sudenese with very little money, he has 7 kids, no electricity, he has nothing really, but he has offered to take this kitten. But, how can I, in good conscience give him a sick kitten to bring home to his kids? What do I do? She can't make it on her own and I can't bring her home with me in December, no vets means no health certificate. I'm at my wits end and time is running out, I leave here in a month. Any ideas? If I could just get rid of her cold, I wouldn't feel so bad about giving her to him.
Bump
Old 10-31-2014, 09:51 PM

Mixsonci,
I did a little reading: It says most URIs are caused by a virus which does not respond to antibiotics and that it has to run its course (7-10 days) but you say she is not getting better. All antibiotics need a prescription anyway (I checked multiple websites). It says to wipe eyes and nose with damp cloth so she can smell food and canned food or tuna is best. Especially at her young age. And make sure she is getting plenty of liquids. Since there are no vets, I think your hands are tied otherwise.. And she probably has worms which may be why she is not growing. Can you go online and order a dewormer? She is still young and may not be able to take it yet, but it should be given as soon as she is old enough. Do you have a vet here in the states that you can call and get advice? That's all I can think of for now but I'll keep researching it. Good luck!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.