Comcast internet chronic disruptions?

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Comcast internet chronic disruptions?

I have my own Comcast recommended Motorola modem along with a new higher speed router from Assus which I bought a couple of months ago. Everything working text book until a few days ago.

With no pattern or cause I have been able to determine I lose my internet connection. The appropriate lights are lit or blinking on both devices. I have rebooted the modem and that seemed to work. When it did not I rebooted both the modem and the router. And then when that failed to work I rebooted the two devices and the desktop.

I talked to Comcast rep on the phone. As much as I could understand, they pinged the modem and said all looked good from their end. I went through the routine of tightening all connections. That was about this time yesterday. Connection remained sound until lunch time today. I went through the rebooting...no luck. I called Comcast....the hard to understand tech from yesterday was the one with the better English. Same routine. While we were on the phone the internet mysteriously connected.

I hesitate to have a technician come out especially if all is working OK.
I suppose the modem could be faulty....but I do not get the on again off again activity.

I am open to suggestion and guidance.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

If when you are not able to access the internet, all the correct lights are blinking on your equipment, it would suggest the problem is in your receiver eg laptop or other wifi device. So when you are unable to get on the internet what does your networks available say? Is your home wifi listed as available and linked to the internet? Do you have other devices such as a smart phone that you can try to link to your home wifi when it is down? Whenever in the past I had issues with my home wifi, the lights were not correct if it was a modem or router

Looking at my Arris TM 822 modem the lights from left to right are
green, off, green, flashing orange, green, solid orange, green, green and everything is working well. On the router there is solid green power, solid green status, flashing green for WAN and WLAN. Are you sure that the lights look the same whether you have wifi or not?
Old 04-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Platinum member

Could you possibly be exceeding optimal range? Mine is fine most of the time, but, occasionally when I take my iPad on the lanai, I get mini outages. Doesn't seem to happen with the Samsung tablet, however.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:44 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Before you call Comcast you need to determine which side of the modem the problem is on.

Example: Motorola Surfboard modems have upstream, downstream and Internet lights. Up and down are typically green until bonding channels in which case they turn blue. Internet light is steady green when connected. If all this is working then it's not a Comcast issue, it's on the other side of the modem. Router, access point or client devices.

Check the lights on the modem and download the manual if you have to and determine which side the problem is on.

Call or txt anytime @ (352) 388-1677

Tom@VillagerAV.com
Old 04-27-2015, 03:26 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I have had That exact same thing happen at the office. What I did was pull up comcast speed test and do a test at the time of the internet issue. (If it lets you get that far) Give them your findings when you call. They eventually found that the junction box outside had gone bad. But Mine did the same thing. Perfectly fine and then it would just die. Of course, it didn't want to do it when I was on the phone with them!!
(Office) 352-460-1155
(Store) 205 W. North Blvd (441), Leesburg, Fl. 34748
(Website) http://www.ComputerCornerFL.com
Old 04-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The answers from villagesAV and CFLGeek are perfect examples of answering questions without promoting their own businesses. Other companies and sponsors could learn from them.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I have my own Comcast recommended Motorola modem along with a new higher speed router from Assus which I bought a couple of months ago. Everything working text book until a few days ago.

With no pattern or cause I have been able to determine I lose my internet connection. The appropriate lights are lit or blinking on both devices. I have rebooted the modem and that seemed to work. When it did not I rebooted both the modem and the router. And then when that failed to work I rebooted the two devices and the desktop.

I talked to Comcast rep on the phone. As much as I could understand, they pinged the modem and said all looked good from their end. I went through the routine of tightening all connections. That was about this time yesterday. Connection remained sound until lunch time today. I went through the rebooting...no luck. I called Comcast....the hard to understand tech from yesterday was the one with the better English. Same routine. While we were on the phone the internet mysteriously connected.

I hesitate to have a technician come out especially if all is working OK.
I suppose the modem could be faulty....but I do not get the on again off again activity.

I am open to suggestion and guidance.
I also had problems... Isolated it the an intermittent DNS server (dynamic via Comcast). I went into my ASUS Router and created a Static set of DNS servers (Static via Google), i.e. Primary=8.8.8.8 and Alternate=8.8.4.4

Problem was immediately fixed.

I suspect that they are having trouble with their DNS servers. Decided to circumvent them all together.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I called Comcast after I consulted with the tech department for the surfboard modem. After rebooting everything I connected to their diagnostic site. Was directed to the signal tab and the upstream and downstream power readings.
All of the readings were at or beyond recommended extremes. The 8 upstream should be between -15 and +15 (I forget the units).....the closer to zero the better. All8 were -15. The downstream 2 were to be less than 50.... Mine were 54.
I was being bumped off when there were a few online at the same time.

Comcast tech came today. I showed him the readings....which he already had(!).
Went to the box out front. Obsolete non Comcast equipment from company TV used to provide cable with, which Comcast bought approx 2005/2006.
Maintenance order placed. He said it would be done in 24 hours. The repair guy was here about 6 PM......cut off all service....major replacement of almost everything in the box. By 8 PM service restored both cable and Internet.

New up stream all -4!!!!! Downstream 44!!!!!

I would give the Comcast phone tech, the tech who came to the house mid day today and finally the repairman this evening an A+ on their report card.
All knowledgeable with events happening ahead of schedule.

It does help to be able to show the problem was not my purchased modem.
Good ending!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:57 AM
Sage

Wonderful outcome to an annoying problem!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.