Google

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Veteran member
Default Google

I just bought a new lap top that runs windows 8.1 and IE 11....for a search engine it says to use Bing does anyone know if a google toolbar will run? The info. I find is split some says yes and some says no and about 2 years old. I DO NOT WANT GOOGLE CHROME... if it is available do you have a web site and program version to download...thx
Old 08-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Sage

I just bought a new lap top that runs windows 8.1 and IE 11....for a search engine it says to use Bing

That's because the Bing search engine is made by the same company that makes Windows 8.1 and the IE 11 browser. That's microsoft.

does anyone know if a google toolbar will run?
This is where I am confused. The google toolbar will run. And the search engine the google toolbar will run is google.

The info. I find is split some says yes and some says no and about 2 years old.

I DO NOT WANT GOOGLE CHROME...
Chrome is an operating system and a browser that google makes. You will not be running Chrome.

if it is available do you have a web site
for the latest version Install Google Toolbar

and program version to download...thx

I'll bet someone else can give a better explanation.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:31 PM
Eternal Member

IN IE11, go to Tools>Manage Add-ons and click on Search Providers and make Google the default. I usually reorder the Search providers and put Google at the top

TO make it the default, select it and right click on it and click on default. You can them move it to the top.

I do not use the toolbar. I put Google as the first entry in my Favorites bar.

Hope this helps.

BTW: tomwed's answers were correct. Bing is owned by MS so they will always make it the default.

Z
Old 08-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

From what I read, IE is being replaced by Edge although that could take awhile. I just updated to Windows 10 and (knocking on wood) so far really like it. All of my programs run although had to do a couple updates. I run both edge (wife's preference) and Chrome (my preference) and have had no issues. We use Google on both browsers as the home page.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-31-2015, 12:56 AM

IE 11 had no longer support google toolbar as far as I know.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:29 AM

The update to Windows 10 on my wife's computer went perfectly. I am truly surprised and very impressed. My wife loves the new setup. I was hoping it would be a mess so I could buy her an Apple.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

You may have to just save the Google webpage as a bookmark and go to Google there. Microsoft might be trying to slow down people from using Google in favor of their Bing/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
I just bought a new lap top that runs windows 8.1 and IE 11....for a search engine it says to use Bing does anyone know if a google toolbar will run? The info. I find is split some says yes and some says no and about 2 years old. I DO NOT WANT GOOGLE CHROME... if it is available do you have a web site and program version to download...thx
Old 08-31-2015, 06:05 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
You may have to just save the Google webpage as a bookmark and go to Google there. Microsoft might be trying to slow down people from using Google in favor of their Bing/
You can make Google the default search engine in EDGE.

Z
Old 09-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

I just google Google in bing and then put it in favorites because I like Google better. Both have spyware the sell to see what you googling to buy, this is why you get all the popups. I searched one product In each, the ran antivirus software and came up with 29 threats and 24 threats. These threats are stored on your computer and run in the background, all FREE sites have their spyware the sell. It's how the make millions hence FB, Tweet, Google, when you enter there sites you are protential customers for the various sponsors.

I also think hackers are on the antivirus company payrolls, the more hacks the more pontiental customers? it like selling triple bladed razor, after the blades dull you have to buy the expensive triple blades with the big gouge, it's how they make the big money! Maintenance
Closed Thread

Tags
google, years, split, program, site, version, download, thx, web, find, chrome, toolbar, runs, windows, top, bought, lap, run, search, engine, bing, info

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.