Needing a new Laptop

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Default Needing a new Laptop

I am needing a new laptop and while I like the Apples I just can;t justify spending that kind of money for Googling, emailing, writing a few letters, buying and selling on ebay or TOTV, storing pictures and things like that.
In my research for a PC I have come across a Google Chrome Laptop but I am not sure about buying one because I am not sure what it does. It seems like you store everything in a Google Cloud & not on your hard drive. I would also like to get a CD & DVD burner on it. I am not going to use it for any kind of office work but would also like to face time with my kids & Grand kids.
Can someone with first hand knowledge of the pros & cons of the difference between a Windows 8 laptop & a Google Cloud laptop help me in my choice & tell me will I be able to do the things I want to do on a Cloud.

Thanks confused:

“Living Large in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements”

SEMPER FI
Old 04-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

There are still conventional laptops available. The last 3 I have purchased were Toshiba's, 2 are still running fine, the first one had a faulty DC connector, which I tried to fix.....
The one thing you will notice is that all of the new models will have windows 8 or 8.1, this is the major reason I have NOT upgraded recently. Microsoft has announced Windows 10 (they skipped 9), and as I understand it will address many of the problems with Windows 8/8.1. I do not recall when this software will be released.
I have probably added to your confusion. You may want to contact the villages computer club for more advice.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:43 PM
Sage

My cousin and my friend thought they would want a Chromebook but like you, they were not sure.

If you use gmail it is very easy. If you don't use gmail you will need to get a gmail account using your old computer.

My advice for them will work for you. Go to Walmart and buy a Chromebook. When it starts up it will ask you for your gmail account and password. You have 10 days [I think, ask them] to try it out. My cousin and friend liked it so much they just kept it and did not return it.

I told the both of them that there are bigger and better Chromebooks that Walmart and others sell and maybe they would like a bigger keyboard or larger screen.

I am not sure if a Chromebook will work with a DVD burner. It does not use Windows.

watch this click here and you will see that Chromebooks are taking over the laptop market

It will be easier to anwer your questions once you have a Chromebook.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Veteran member

Check out the Apple factory refurbished with new computer warranty:
Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

Also check dealmac.com: The best deals on iPod, iMac and MacBook. Find sales on Macs, new and refurbished Apple systems. for specials elsewhere
Old 04-20-2015, 08:16 PM

IMHO you get what you pay for. An Apple product costs more, but you will have a lot less problems. I have owned many windows products and love my MacBook. I have never been frustrated as I was with (my many) Windows products.

As a previous comment suggested, get a used Apple desktop or laptop, you won't be dissapointed.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:18 PM

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...o-13-a-151945/
Old 04-20-2015, 08:29 PM
Sage
Smile

I have an HP Envy and love it. I purchased it from the HP website HP® Official Site | Laptop Computers, Desktops, Printers, Servers, Services and more and had it built to my specifications. It was cheaper than buying it on Amazon. There are lots to choose from for every budget. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 PM

AS far as cost you get what you pay for and it is higher priced. A Chromebook is a web based only computer. You can't FaceTime on a Chromebook. Google has similar software. That is an Apple application. Nor can you have a cd or dvd drive on a Chromebook. All the files are web based. There is very little storage for the operational system storage. If you want to work with your photos you are stuck with a web based application with everything stored on Google cloud. I don't know if you can use other services to store photos such as dropbox or One Drive.You can't store them on your computer. What about drivers to make your printer work? They have Google Cloud Print, but don't know the reliability and compatibility with a printer.
As far as costs you get an Apple product with full versions of software with less issues with viruses, malware, and adware. It just works. Look for a factory refurb or clearance model with a full warranty on the Apple store website. An 11.6 inch screen MacBook Air is less than $650. You don't need the newest or fastest model. Maybe a tablet whether iPad or Android might be enough to check email, go on the web, and do some Ebay stuff.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:14 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Regardless of what you buy, I would HIGHLY recommend you actually test drive the device in store. Go to a best buy or someplace that has the model on display. The easiest way to deside is to start using them in store. See if the Chromebook does what you need. Even if you do decide with a Chromebook, you have to decide which model. You may accidentally get one that the keyboard isn't what your used to, or the keys are too small, ect.
(Office) 352-460-1155
(Store) 205 W. North Blvd (441), Leesburg, Fl. 34748
(Website) http://www.ComputerCornerFL.com
Old 04-23-2015, 09:03 AM

As for why Hinch decided to blow his Dell laptop's brains out, (Windows Computer)? The culprit was an endless succession of Blue Screens of Death. What else?
Dude. You should have bought a Mac.

Read more at Herb-smoking gunman blows his Dell computer's brains out
Old 04-23-2015, 09:40 AM

A laptop that is light, efficient, works off-line also and is raved about by the guys in the Villages computer clubs:

HP Stream Notebook

6 Products (View all)

Windows 8.1
1TB of free cloud storage included for one year
Office 365 Personal included free for 1 year
Fanless design and flash storage

Starting at $ 199.99
Old 04-23-2015, 10:13 AM

Thank You Mr Bear, I will shoot over to Best Buy and check it out.

“Living Large in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements”

SEMPER FI
Old 04-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Sage

The guys in the computer club are used to fixing laptops, overcoming viruses and reinstalling windows.

Go to walmart. Buy a chromebook. Try it out and return it if it is not all that it is hyped up to be. You can't break it by pushing the keys incorrectly.

Try them both.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:27 PM

This explains alot about a Chromebook:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-JYp0Iu4pw
Old 04-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

I too have been looking to replace my old dell laptop. To me it depends on what you are use to using and if you are ok with learning new stuff. I used windows based products at work for years and could not live without excel spreads. I also like a quick processor however it seems the new tablets are as fast as a lot of older laptops.
I have a windows based laptop and also a surface pro. Not the new pro 3 but the original pro. I will not own anything without a usb connection. A lot of notebook type tablets do not have them. (the surface and some other windows based ones do) I burn audio books to cd on my laptop as hubby likes audio books and I can get them online through the library. Or I download them to a flash drive. I back up everything to my passport mobile drive that has huge storage and then can plug in and pull up my files movies etc on any device with a usb port it is about the size of a deck of cards. I have fat fingers and not good fine motor skills so I do not like the touch screen so I still use a roller mouse. so blue tooth also a plus to consider. As I said it depends on how much a person wants to change and I don't want to relearn at this point.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.