Strange phone call

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Question Strange phone call

Yesterday, I received a phone call from someone who called himself Mac Jordan. Of course, I could hardly understand him and thought he was from India but he said he was calling from the Windows Tech Support in Seattle, Washington. I asked for his phone and he gave me a number of 206-203-5477. He called me on my home phone number. He said that my computer had been infected with a virus that only Microsoft could repair. He asked if I was near my computer and if I could turn it on. Actually, the computer was not in my house and not turned on because my computer was on it's way to our house in Florida as my roommate was driving down and took my computer with him. I asked if there was a charge to fix the computer and Mac Jordan said if it was out of warranty that there was a $79 charge. Of course, it is out of warranty. He told me I could call him back when I had access to the computer. Has this happened to anyone or anyone heard of this? I think it is a scam but don't know how to proceed.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Big fat lie! Glad you posted here to find out and did not fall for it!

Do an internet search on the tele number and look at the aggrevation you saved yourself!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

sounds like a scam to me...............and if Microsoft can only fix it,why is he calling you?? for your $$$$$$
Old 10-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmrsj View Post
Yesterday, I received a phone call from someone who called himself Mac Jordan. Of course, I could hardly understand him and thought he was from India but he said he was calling from the Windows Tech Support in Seattle, Washington. I asked for his phone and he gave me a number of 206-203-5477. He called me on my home phone number. He said that my computer had been infected with a virus that only Microsoft could repair. He asked if I was near my computer and if I could turn it on. Actually, the computer was not in my house and not turned on because my computer was on it's way to our house in Florida as my roommate was driving down and took my computer with him. I asked if there was a charge to fix the computer and Mac Jordan said if it was out of warranty that there was a $79 charge. Of course, it is out of warranty. He told me I could call him back when I had access to the computer. Has this happened to anyone or anyone heard of this? I think it is a scam but don't know how to proceed.
Microsoft will NEVER call you unless you have called them. No one remote from your computer can randomly tell if you have a virus on your computer unless they are the ones who infected you.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Similar scam from... NORTON

I recently had a simialr call but this guy said he was from NORTON..and that I have not been receiving critical updates to my Norton Security Suite. He asked if I was by my computer and I said no and when I asked for a number to call he gave me one.

This has to be a scam...be careful!!
Old 10-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
About twice a month.
Next time you get the call.........ask where he is calling from; the answer will make you laugh.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:34 AM

Of course it's a total scam. What I do and I may be wrong but I keep the caller on the telephone for as long as I can or get bored with it.
When they give me a price I'll say something like, wow, I thought it would cost more, then I have them hold on while I get my credit card, then of course I come up with more and more delays. I'll say my computer keeps freezing up but please hold because I'm so glad they called. My wife says I'm being mean to them,lol. I told her as long as they are talking with me they aren't scamming others.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Platinum member

Tell him you work at a bank and you are willing to share a $10 million abandoned account, if he gives you the Pin to his bank account.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 10-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Veteran member

My wife and I receive the same BS phone call 1-2 times each month. We usually don't answer but I do recognize the phone number you posted. We did answer once and got the same message, that the computer was infected, the sky was falling, the bar huts in the squares were running out of beer, etc etc etc. TOTAL SCAM!!!!
Old 10-23-2014, 10:50 AM

Please don't run out of beer before I get there.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Tell him you work at a bank and you are willing to share a $10 million abandoned account, if he gives you the Pin to his bank account.
A bank in Nigeria.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Love your comment KayakerNC!! TOTV needs a "Like" button!!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:25 PM

He said he was out of Seattle and I did a phone look up and it is an unlisted Seattle number.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
He said he was out of Seattle and I did a phone look up and it is an unlisted Seattle number.
That is a very well know scam. Just remember, legitimate guys never know what you have on your pc and will never call you unsolicited.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:50 AM
Sage

SCAM. SCAM. SCAM.

Microsoft will never call you for any reason!!!

I never download anything that comes with a "Microsoft partner", if that ad pops up on my screen. Another way for scammers, to have access to your computer.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.