Harvey Weinstein conviction overturned in New York

Old 04-26-2024, 07:07 AM

They are sending him to California to serve his 16 year sentence there. The New York times annotated the decision here pretty well which explains the legality of the decision. The Harvey Weinstein Appeal Ruling: Annotated and Explained - The New York Times
Old 04-26-2024, 09:03 AM

What are you worried about, he is still in prison in California!
Old 04-26-2024, 09:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,333 Times in 603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
What are you worried about, he is still in prison in California!
He was convicted in New York and California but he is in prison in New York.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,333 Times in 603 Posts

I was not aware of this.

Gov. Gavin Newsom's wife, Jennifer Siebel Newsom, testified at the Los Angeles trial that Weinstein raped her in 2005.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:17 PM

So I guess we should no longer “ believe all women”? The #metoo movement was an artificially manufactured fraud to foment cultural and social unrest just like other causes of a certain ideology.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
It does matter. He was convicted because he was guilty. The state will now have to use resources to retry him. But additionally it hamstrings other prosecutions of this kind of assault. Judge Madeline Singas put it well in her disent: "In a scathing dissent, Judge Madeline Singas wrote that the majority was “whitewashing the facts to conform to a he-said/she-said narrative,” and that the appeals court was continuing a “disturbing trend of overturning juries’ guilty verdicts in cases involving sexual violence.”

“The majority’s determination perpetuates outdated notions of sexual violence and allows predators to escape accountability,” Singas wrote.

“This conclusion deprives juries of the context necessary to do their work, forecloses the prosecution from using any essential tool to prove intent, ignores the nuances of how sexual violence is perpetrated and perceived, and demonstrates the majority’s utter lack of understanding of the dynamics of sexual assault.”

“Because New York’s women deserve better, I dissent,” she concluded."
Too many rich and powerful in that list. They can't set the precedence of actually jailing them so...
Old 04-26-2024, 01:04 PM
Default Weinstein

Leave it to those stupid New York City judges to continually usurp the Constitution and make bad decisions. Somewhere I refuse to visit.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,762 Times in 759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Doesn't matter much, since he's in jail for his convictions in California.
I agree, much ado about nothing. Certainly appears there WAS major legal procedural errors, and I am happy that those were not just ignored because THAT can effect ALL of us, not just in this case where most of us take a very low view of this individual. HOWEVER, I for one believe he will die in prison regardless of this decision. The MEDIA seems to be the SCREAMING this headline and of course know a LOT Of the public will just assume this means he's "off free" !
Old 04-27-2024, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrey12 View Post
As a previous response to this post alluded, appeals are not most often a matter of procedure, but ALWAYS. At least that’s what I learned in law school. The facts of a case are NEVER retried on appeal. What may be argued on appeal is whether, as a matter of law, certain facts were allowed into evidence erroneously or in error. A procedural error.
Take a look at the dissent. She gets it.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:23 AM

Those that have money and influence seem to get away with their crimes.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
So I guess we should no longer “ believe all women”? The #metoo movement was an artificially manufactured fraud to foment cultural and social unrest just like other causes of a certain ideology.
Women have been taken advantage of by men for decades and no one really cares. It always becomes a "he said" "she said" and the one with the money and power wins.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:28 AM

Allegations without convictions shouldn’t have been admitted.
The Judge was wrong. Thank God for Appellate Courts & the Supremes.
Weinstein is still in jail as sentenced on other charges. Good decision to overturn.
Filthy Defendant, but Court should follow the law; our Courts need cleaning. In most States you only have to be a lawyer for five years & you can run for a bench. Some Judges aren’t even lawyers - no law school (Constitutional Judges in TX).
You just have to get those ballots in; no test needed & you can be a Judge.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post

& if Cosby and Weinstein used physical violence, that's a huge leap from "coercing".
"If" they used physical violence? Hello? Clearly, some people remain vastly under informed about the filthy and criminal conduct of those two.

Would you deem drugging women into unconsciousness and then having sex with their passed-out bodies to be physical violence? That was psychopathic Cosby. He did that to many women, over years.

Weinstein? He's a serial rapist too. At least one woman went to police after he had done so and presumably gotten a rape kit taken as well. Well, how convenient, the Manhattan DA at the time, Cyrus Vance Jr, just happened to decide that there "wasn't enough to charge Weinstein" so, he didn't. A few weeks later, Weinstein's law firm sent the Vance re-election campaign a $30,000 donation.

How many times did that happen, we all wonder? There's non-justice for you! That's what big shots do -- cover for each other and make pay-offs.

Weinstein also RUINED careers of some women who rebuffed him and got away before he could accost them. That's what happened to Mira Sorvino. Harvey called director, Peter Jackson (of Lord of the Rings fame) and trashed Mira to him, whom Jackson was considering for an upcoming role. He didn't hire her based on lies Weinstein spewed. Jackson publicly admitted it after Harvey got busted - he was embarrassed and apologized to her. But, how many other Directors did HW go out of his way to influence in order to ruin her career? Obviously, there were others b/c she got no work for years. That's how filthy that guy is.

How does she, and the other women he did that to, get recourse for that, Brian? Financial and otherwise?

Last edited by MightyDog; 04-27-2024 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
Wow, much confusion there ^^^ and VERY low information. Like so many others.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDog View Post
"If" they used physical violence? Hello? Clearly, some people remain vastly under informed about the filthy and criminal conduct of those two.

Would you deem drugging women into unconsciousness and then having sex with their passed-out bodies to be physical violence? That was psychopathic Cosby. He did that to many women, over years.

Weinstein? He's a serial rapist too. At least one woman went to police after he had done so and presumably gotten a rape kit taken as well. Well, how convenient, the Manhattan DA at the time, Cyrus Vance Jr, just happened to decide that there "wasn't enough to charge Weinstein" so, he didn't. A few weeks later, Weinstein's law firm sent the Vance re-election campaign a $30,000 donation.

How many times did that happen, we all wonder? There's non-justice for you! That's what big shots do -- cover for each other and make pay-offs.

Weinstein also RUINED careers of some women who rebuffed him and got away before he could accost them. That's what happened to Mira Sorvino. Harvey called director, Peter Jackson (of Lord of the Rings fame) and trashed Mira to him, whom Jackson was considering for an upcoming role. He didn't hire her based on lies Weinstein spewed. Jackson publicly admitted it after Harvey got busted - he was embarrassed and apologized to her. But, how many other Directors did HW go out of his way to influence in order to ruin her career? Obviously, there were others b/c she got no work for years. That's how filthy that guy is.

How does she, and the other women he did that to, get recourse for that, Brian? Financial and otherwise?
Nicely put.

I recall my younger brother would make jokes about Bill Cosby when my brother still lived and worked in Reno, Nevada. He could get a lot of the gossip going around while working at the Reno airport renting cars.

I did not get the jokes. Then.

Tags
harvey, weinstein, conviction, overturned, york

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.