Yard light quit working

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Default yard light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
We have been having same issue. We just changed (again) the yard lamp and when that blows the kitchen lights go out! Your thoughts?
I don't know why your yard light is "blowing", but I found that my yard light and some kitchen outlets were on the same circuit breaker, so that is why they would both go out at the same time, if yours is wired the same.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClaus View Post
Sounds like a gfci is tripping. Is water collecting in the lamp? Does it happen when it rains? Do you have to reset a breaker to get the kitchen light back on?
correct - we have to reset the kitchen lites too.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:29 AM

My suspicion is either corrosion in the bulb socket, or water intrusion. Either of these could cause the bulb to blow and to trip the gfci. My suggestion is to make 100% certain power is off to the circuit (not just switched off with a wall switch), remove the bulb and clean the inside of the socket with steel wool, both the screw threads and the sprung contact at the bottom. Make sure the sprung contact is springy, not laying flat against the bottom; if it is bend it up a bit. Place a small dot of Vaseline on the sprung contact (or better, dielectric grease, but Vaseline will work). Replace the bulb with either a hardened incandescent (garage opener, work light, rough service bulb) or better a LED bulb. These will do a better job of resisting blowing in less than ideal conditions. Put a thin coat of Vaseline on the BULB threads, not down to the glass insulator, and certainly not bridging the threads to the button on the bottom. Screw the bulb in, all the way til snug. Use a little more Vaseline to "caulk" the joint between the socket and the bulb. This will help waterproof the socket. Make sure that if there are weep holes in the bottom of the fixture that they are not blocked with debris. Put the lamp back together and turn the circuit back on. Hopefully that takes care of it. If not, the next thing to try is replacing the whole socket. If that doesn't work, the is likely damage to the buried electrical line. Hope it helps.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Platinum member

FYI, I don't believe any of the homes in TV have a wall switch for the yard light. They are all wired in with the garage door circuit and have no way to turn them off except tripping the breaker.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-18-2014, 01:19 PM

I was thinking a "yard light" may have been either a lamppost or a floodlight, so I thought mentioning that turning off a wall switch is not sufficient protection, just to be safe.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.