Good Golfer Rewards and Drawing for Priority Membership

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2016, 04:11 PM
Default Good Golfer Rewards and Drawing for Priority Membership

While waiting for our tee time at an executive course this morning I saw an ambassador pull up to a group of eight ladies also waiting to tee off and present each of them with the entry cards. I have to wonder what it is you can do before ever teeing off to demonstrate care and respect of the course which is above the normal?
Old 07-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Veteran member

Haven't seen that done in several years. Used to happen often.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:31 PM

So now we're questioning why someone is doing something nice?
Old 07-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Sage

I guess the fact that those certificates are supposed to be given out to reward players seen taking a little extra care of our courses and these people got some for doing nothing obvious is what bothered the OP.

Most of the players in the groups I'm in make it a point to repair multiple ball marks, rake not only their damage in the traps but also some others (you know they're there!) and fill in not only their divots but others. I've seen them do all this with an ambassador sitting in his cart watching. Nothing. I've spoken to GMS about this a couple of times and they tell me they are handing out more of them each year.

I think they are missing a great opportunity to reinforce good course conduct. I joined a group as a single one day and after the group teed off, I grabbed the sand bottle and filled in about 5-6 divots on the tee. An ambassador drove over and gave me a certificate. The other players asked about it and he spent a minute telling them about caring for the course from tee to green. It was as if they were hearing this for the first time. For the rest of the round, they filled in divots, repaired ball marks and raked sand traps. If they rewarded people for doing even a little repair work, I would hope it would snowball, resulting in better conditions in areas the players can affect.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Wow, sounds like some are in kindergarten where some have to get a trophy (good golf reward) for participating (repairing the course when that should be a natural thing).

In the 14 months I've lived here, I've repaired hundreds of ball marks (87 during one 18 hole round), use at least 2 bottles of sand every round and raked countless bunkers (all because the privileged/entitled won't do any of these); I always say "no thank you" to the ambassadors when offered the "rewards" certificate because leaving a golf course better for the next player was something I learned long ago. But, if you need to be rewarded to do these things, bother the ambassadors with your accomplishments.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Sage
Default Good Golfer Rewards and Drawing for Priority Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Wow, sounds like some are in kindergarten where some have to get a trophy (good golf reward) for participating (repairing the course when that should be a natural thing).

In the 14 months I've lived here, I've repaired hundreds of ball marks (87 during one 18 hole round), use at least 2 bottles of sand every round and raked countless bunkers (all because the privileged/entitled won't do any of these); I always say "no thank you" to the ambassadors when offered the "rewards" certificate because leaving a golf course better for the next player was something I learned long ago. But, if you need to be rewarded to do these things, bother the ambassadors with your accomplishments.
My congratulations and appreciation for doing your part.

Why you feel the need to belittle the reward program escapes me though.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

It's not the reward program I've dissed, it's the people that think they have to get that "pat on the back good golf reward certificate" to fix ball marks, repair divots and rake sand traps - something that they should do without hesitation. It's the "LOOK AT ME, I'VE FIXED SOMETHING, REWARD ME" attitude that irks me.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:03 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The rewards cards being handed out previously accomplish two things reminding people to do their part on keeping the course pristine and propping up sales.

If you noticed there is no longer sand available on the tees. They stopped that a few years back. And of course we have the competing factors of speeding up the golf game vis a vis properly maintaining it. There are also other factors but ...and the beat goes on

Actually I don't need no stinking reward card to rake a trap or repair a divot
Old 07-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
It's not the reward program I've dissed, it's the people that think they have to get that "pat on the back good golf reward certificate" to fix ball marks, repair divots and rake sand traps - something that they should do without hesitation. It's the "LOOK AT ME, I'VE FIXED SOMETHING, REWARD ME" attitude that irks me.
Fair enough.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

It is my understanding in the future the ambassador will be giving out "free" stickers for your mailboxes. This will be the award for being a good golfer and rake the sand traps, and still keep a good pace of play
Old 07-31-2016, 09:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Good golfer" very rare, very rare!

I think the guy just wanted to chat up the ladies
Old 08-01-2016, 06:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

I believe residents, at least priority members, automatically get 10% off anything in the pro shops. I feel it is a little disingenuous to offer a "reward" for a good deed, when it really isn't anything we already get. It is like a store offering a customer 10% off everything in the store for "being such a loyal customer", when anyone walking off the street gets the same 10% off on that particular day. It's just a marketing ploy. I don't blame the ambassadors. They are employees that are told to pass these "rewards" out as part of their duties. I would much rather see the ambassadors call out people who don't rake the bunkers after they mess them up.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I gotten many of those certificates for staying off the golf course!
Old 08-01-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
It is my understanding in the future the ambassador will be giving out "free" stickers for your mailboxes. This will be the award for being a good golfer and rake the sand traps, and still keep a good pace of play
They could give them out at the mailbox facility to those who are carrying a poop bag when they leave the station and not deposit it in the trash.
OH NO, I can't believe I said that.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
And yet you went into great detail (I mean seriously, who counts how many ball marks they fix or how much sand they use in a round? ) to describe your own 'good behavior?'

I have received about a dozen of these coupons in the last few years, but keep forgetting to turn them in.

I don't do it for the coupons (or to keep count), I do it because it's the thing that a considerate golfer does without even thinking about it.

As to the OP, I think it is left up to each Ambassador and it is more the 'luck of the draw' if they see something or choose to give you one.

Please don't stop doing the right thing though.....as the rest of us really appreciate it.
Closed Thread

Tags
tee, waiting, cards, golfer, entry

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.