How you can spot a brand new golfer.

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Sorry but that really bothers me. When I am playing for money, I hate when my ball goes in the sand and lands in some giant foot print made by someone who doesn't rake !!
If you're playing for money you should try to hit the green instead of the sand with your approach shot, you'll probably have a better chance to win more money.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
If you're playing for money you should try to hit the green instead of the sand with your approach shot, you'll probably have a better chance to win more money.
Good idea !! I'll try to work on that.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Gold member

First, I have not read this entire thread because I find it insulting. We have not played a round of golf yet, but would like to. We went to golf school @ Palmer and know just the basics. We will not be very good at it and now worry that others will redicule us because of it. Golf is new to us and we want to enjoy it, but I don't want to slow other players down by our lack of experience. So I'm sorry if I look foolish playing in front of you, I'd just like to enjoy it like everyone else.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
First, I have not read this entire thread because I find it insulting. We have not played a round of golf yet, but would like to. We went to golf school @ Palmer and know just the basics. We will not be very good at it and now worry that others will redicule us because of it. Golf is new to us and we want to enjoy it, but I don't want to slow other players down by our lack of experience. So I'm sorry if I look foolish playing in front of you, I'd just like to enjoy it like everyone else.
This thread was just for fun. We have all been new to the game of golf. Like Tiger, one day you win the tournament and the next day, it's like you've never picked up a club in your life. There are some good days and some pretty bad ones. Okay, so I'm talking about me. LOL Trust me, most people have no problem with newbies. I'm always getting my friends that never golfed to start golfing. It's fun just being out with friends and enjoying life. You'll be just fine. Enjoy !!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoni View Post
Thanks for the heads up everyone. My husband and I are new to TV and we are back in MI taking lessons. We didn't want to look like idiots when we come back down in October. So, please post other things us new golfers do, so we can "try" not to do them, lol. A lot to learn that we won't learn from our instructor!
LOL!!! Great post and very true. You are going about it the right way, good for you. Enjoy the game it is much fun.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
This thread was just for fun. We have all been new to the game of golf. Like Tiger, one day you win the tournament and the next day, it's like you've never picked up a club in your life. There are some good days and some pretty bad ones. Okay, so I'm talking about me. LOL Trust me, most people have no problem with newbies. I'm always getting my friends that never golfed to start golfing. It's fun just being out with friends and enjoying life. You'll be just fine. Enjoy !!
This thread is funny to those of us who have golfed for a very long time and live, breathe and dream golf. It was NOT meant to put down anyone and just as Bonny says, we encourage new golfers and frequently go with them. It is very wise to go with friends who golf when you begin. They will be patient and keep things moving so no one EVER will raise their eyebrows at you. This thread was meant to be funny and not mean. It was patterned off one that about spotting people new to The Villages.

Anytime you want to play, I'm your woman. As Bonny says, I never know who will show up, the halfway decent golfer or the duffer, but I always enjoy it and I am a patient soul with beginners. I taught kindergarten for decades.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:31 AM
Platinum member

They insist on tapping in the "gimmes" (and then scream obscenities when they miss them).
Old 07-31-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This thread is funny to those of us who have golfed for a very long time and live, breathe and dream golf. It was NOT meant to put down anyone and just as Bonny says, we encourage new golfers and frequently go with them. It is very wise to go with friends who golf when you begin. They will be patient and keep things moving so no one EVER will raise their eyebrows at you. This thread was meant to be funny and not mean. It was patterned off one that about spotting people new to The Villages.

Anytime you want to play, I'm your woman. As Bonny says, I never know who will show up, the halfway decent golfer or the duffer, but I always enjoy it and I am a patient soul with beginners. I taught kindergarten for decades.
Too true Gracie, I never know who will be occupying my body on the course.

I was on Turtle mound back in February, I was joined up with a guy who seemed to be very intolerant, right off the bat he was complaininng that the group ahead were slow. On the first hole, I duffed my drive and ended up with a 6. He teed off with a hybrid and made it to the edge of the green and made a 4. On the next hole, I duffed again and after he hit his hybrid to just short of the green he said "perhaps I will just go on ahead", obviously thinking this was my every day game. But, there was a foursome ahead of us and we had to finish the hole anyhow.I stuck my second shot 2 ft from the pin and parred, he got a 5. We both teed off on the next hole and I made the green and birdied, he made a 5 again.
So, for the next 6 holes I won 5 and tied one.
He kept his mouth shut afer # 3, and on # 9, shook hands and beat a hasty retreat.
How quick he was to surmise that I was not of his caliber. I was having a lousy start, not unusual for many people.
How quick are people to jump on other people as not being up to their level to the point of intolerance.
But we enjoy playing with beginners, no matter their abilities
Old 07-31-2014, 07:39 PM

This thread did seem to be taking on a 'snarky attitude' with some more experienced golfers making fun of the 'brand new' golfers. Please...re-read your "cute/funny little posts and then decide if you were demeaning & discouraging new golfers or not. As I stated several days ago....rephrasing here: strikes me as bullying. They may like to say: "I was just playing or funning." But it is NOT funny when you are discouraging the new golfers. Even though you are liking to say you were not meaning to discourage the newbies. You can state that ....but it doesn't make it true. You were bullying & putting down others.

Last edited by Doro22; 07-31-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Unwanted ketter
Old 08-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
This thread did seem to be taking on a 'snarky attitude' with some more experienced golfers making fun of the 'brand new' golfers. Please...re-read your "cute/funny little posts and then decide if you were demeaning & discouraging new golfers or not. As I stated several days ago....rephrasing here: strikes me as bullying. They may like to say: "I was just playing or funning." But it is NOT funny when you are discouraging the new golfers. Even though you are liking to say you were not meaning to discourage the newbies. You can state that ....but it doesn't make it true. You were bullying & putting down others.
I think using the word bullying is a little harsh. Sometimes people need to have a little sense of humor. It gets to be no matter what someone says, someone takes offense to it. Hard to think a light hearted thread on TOTV would make someone decide to "never" golf.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.