dumb zoysia question

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Thumbs down dumb zoysia question

just moved in a couple weeks ago and and I don't know a lot about zoysia. My understanding is that zoysia is dormant this time of the year. My question is, why are so many people mowing the yards now? Is that a good idea?
thanks,
Old 12-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Platinum member

A lot of time, the reason they mow is because the mowing company has a contract to mow and they don't dare not mow. What the contract (it's better not to have one) mowing companies sign you up, they should explain that in the winter they will routinely show up and check the lawn, mow if necessary, or trim if necessary, or blow if necessary, but only when necessary!!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Veteran member

It will go dormant this time of year, no need to cut, but still water
Old 12-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Gold member

To the Lawn people, it's necessary!! Other wise no pay check in Dec-Jan-Feb!! Mine comes once a month during those months, and does the trimming around yard. I still pay them (being it's cheap enough) because in summer when it's warm and sunshine, they come every week for the same (cheap) price. They are good to me, so I don't want to lose them. What bothers me, is the people who come to spray your yard etc and charge you, close to 100 bucks. I see no improvement really, but think its necessary. (not sure) Hmmmmmmmm? If they would use granular for everything, and not spray (that washes through ground in one day from rain or sprinklers) I'd probably feel better. Oh well, my fault for paying.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:51 PM

thanks everyone for the info, it all makes sense. sigh, I guess I can't ask Santa for a riding mower, but maybe I can hit him up for a golf car, instead.
thanks again,
Old 12-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
To the Lawn people, it's necessary!! Other wise no pay check in Dec-Jan-Feb!! Mine comes once a month during those months, and does the trimming around yard. I still pay them (being it's cheap enough) because in summer when it's warm and sunshine, they come every week for the same (cheap) price. They are good to me, so I don't want to lose them. What bothers me, is the people who come to spray your yard etc and charge you, close to 100 bucks. I see no improvement really, but think its necessary. (not sure) Hmmmmmmmm? If they would use granular for everything, and not spray (that washes through ground in one day from rain or sprinklers) I'd probably feel better. Oh well, my fault for paying.
A commercial grower told me that foliar feeding (spraying the leaves) was more effective than granular or drenching (liquid poured onto soil) so the spray your lawn service applies may be more effective than you anticipate.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Default Not All Grass

Not all Zoysia in all lawns goes dormant at the same time...

Mine is still green and growing small amounts... Now mowing every two weeks then once a month is the usual... then no mowing for a month or two..
Old 12-20-2014, 01:29 AM

Go to Zoysia Farm Nursey website. All you need to know about Zoysia Turf.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Most people who do not have a lawn service, will mow their lawn once a month during the winter, and edge it, just to tidy it up.

For the few winter months, it really doesn't need very much maintenance and you shouldn't fertilize until the Spring.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Gold member

Seems it was overlooked that some lawns get over seeded with winter rye which does grow and needs mowing right through winter.

As to fertilizing...yes you should fertilize at least once in the winter and then water soon after...the plants still need the nutrients.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

EMPIRE Turf | Zoysia Grass | One Lawn, Many Benefits
Circle C Farms, Inc. ::: Growers and Purveyors of Premium Turfgrass in Central Florida
Central Florida Sod Farm - Sod Installation - Lake Jem Farms
The Zoysia Farm Nurseries Blog | Zoysia Grass, Improving America's Lawns Since 1953
Old 12-21-2014, 01:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Seems it was overlooked that some lawns get over seeded with winter rye which does grow and needs mowing right through winter.

As to fertilizing...yes you should fertilize at least once in the winter and then water soon after...the plants still need the nutrients.
Sorry, Fred, but that is incorrect.

Fertilizing Empire zoysia too early in the Spring can damage the grass in the event we get a late frost. The same holds true (a frost) in the winter and that is why you never fertilize at that time of the year. In addition, Empire zoysia that is fertilized too late in the year will slow regrowth in the Spring.

Winter fertilization is a no-no.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Sorry, Fred, but that is incorrect.

Fertilizing Empire zoysia too early in the Spring can damage the grass in the event we get a late frost. The same holds true (a frost) in the winter and that is why you never fertilize at that time of the year. In addition, Empire zoysia that is fertilized too late in the year will slow regrowth in the Spring.

Winter fertilization is a no-no.
Fertilizing with nitrogen would not be smart, but iron or other micro nutrients would not induce foliar growth. Most of the micro nutrients take quite a while to break down and be taken in by the root system, so you aren't really wasting them by applying micros in the wintertime FL.
Winters vary quite a bit in this part of FL , so you can't really write a schedule for lawn care that applies every time.

I suggest trusting the people you hired, unless they have have damaged your lawn. There are many ways to skin a cat, just because one company does things a little different doesn't mean what they are doing won't work.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
A commercial grower told me that foliar feeding (spraying the leaves) was more effective than granular or drenching (liquid poured onto soil) so the spray your lawn service applies may be more effective than you anticipate.
To the contrary.........spray is not as good as granular. The spray is an extremely short term fertilizer. The granular disolves slowly and feeds the grass slowly.....timed release.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post

Fertilizing in winter is a waste of fertilizer. Winter rye is a northern (cool weather) grass and needs a good deal of water to germinate. In winter, the watering schedule should be cut back since the lawn is mostly dormant.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.