Pine straw

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Default Pine Straw

It is not a big deal at all I am sure you might have thought I was crazy, but I do remove the stuff every day to put in stone and if I do not give it away I have to pay to dump it so I have no problem giving it away saves me dumping fees.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Sage

Lasvegas, from your experience have you seen locations where the pine straw has become an area that attracts bugs?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Default Pine Straw

Well, the pest control people will tell you to get rid of the pine straw and put in stone. I know to some people sometimes price is an issue and it is not possible to do. I really believe that the worst think about pine straw is it has to be replaced so often for it to look good, as far as bugs I tell people this is Florida and you will never get rid of all the bugs. Even with a total hard scape you may see some bugs. Hopefully that helps a little.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Dancing Thyme

Las Vegas, I'm so happy to have you on the board so I can ask some free questions. LOL. You sound so knowledgeable and I'm confused as to why in Florida, the garden beds even have stone or straw? Is it necessary? I really don't like the look of it at all, and in California, we just used plain old dirt. Periodically, maybe twice a year, we added more soil to replenish what has eroded from the rain (although we didn't get much rain) and we also used the plastic underlay to keep the weed growth to a minimum, if that possible.

My question is, can this be done in Florida as well? Thanks for your reply, I might call you to discuss this. You've been very helpful. Kath

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Default Pine Straw

Well, this is what I tell people about pros and cons to your ground cover. I think it is more of a personal preference then anything. I have had a few customers in the past that wanted to just leave a topsoil but I would make sure you have a yard that is well drained and you do not get wash outs. I have done mulch and bark jobs and the first rain is was in the neighbors yard. I think that a lot of people in TV go to stone because it is lower maintenance and people do not want to have to replace it like you do with mulches, bark or even topsoil. I have never been to California but I have been to places and know what you are talking about and I like the look much more natural then some of these stones and rubber mulches.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Dancing Thyme

Thanks LV, I'm gonna take this off line with you because I have very specific questions to the look I want and I'm not sure everyone is interested in this. But I want to thank you for your help so far, I will be in touch. K.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.