Sage
Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,470 Posts

Do we really need tin foil hats?
Old 04-25-2024, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,763 Times in 5,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaundraNapierP View Post
FIS outdoor in Wildwood sells the round concrete donuts in two sizes. They are located by Russell Stovers. We installed them ourselves by purchasing a grass remover tool specifically made for sprinkler heads from Lowe’s.
Massey provided and installed mine for 5 dollars each. It was a good deal.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Here's the real reason they're required. 20 years from now your sprinkler heads are going to be 3" lower than they are now. I have no idea why, I just know it's true, because I have a 20-year-old house and I've had to add a new layer of donuts to all the sprinkler heads this year. And there are a couple places I don't care about where I am sure there must have been a sprinkler head once but I'm too lazy to dig up the yard to find it.

What the heck causes that? I'm from Houston, where everybody also has a St Augustine lawn, but I've never seen this before. If the ground is sinking, why is my house just fine? Weird!
The same thing is happening to my sprinklers. So weird. I know as time goes on, most heavy stuff sinks down into the earth but why sprinklers and sprinkler piping. Makes no sense.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
For less than $2 per, it's cheap protection for your heads.

Depends if you have walk-behind mower or heavy riding mower.

Depends if you cut out your heads or not.
Exactly.... I just had mine installed and I think it was like six dollars per unit...installed. Peace of mind.
Also, for those who do it themselves, or use a lawn service having the donut gives a good spot to aim a weed killer.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:04 AM
Default Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Here's the real reason they're required. 20 years from now your sprinkler heads are going to be 3" lower than they are now. I have no idea why, I just know it's true, because I have a 20-year-old house and I've had to add a new layer of donuts to all the sprinkler heads this year. And there are a couple places I don't care about where I am sure there must have been a sprinkler head once but I'm too lazy to dig up the yard to find it.

What the heck causes that? I'm from Houston, where everybody also has a St Augustine lawn, but I've never seen this before. If the ground is sinking, why is my house just fine? Weird!
Been pondering the same. But, my assumption was that the ground level was somehow rising rather than sinking. Does dirt grow? Can thatch become dirt over such short periods? Tectonics would drag the sprinkler system along with it, no? Can grass roots raise the dirt level? (They'd wait a million years. . .).
Old 04-25-2024, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I have a new house in Lake Denham. I see these concrete donuts are a big thing around here. I live in Massachusetts for my main home and I've had irrigation systems for 30 years. Never had any donuts around the sprinkler heads. I've been using a John Deere riding mower over mine forever and no issues.

Is there something different down there in FL?
A lot of sprinkler heads get broken by the grass cutter's trucks and other equipment that park or drive over them. So, people put the concrete donuts around the ones near the street to protect them.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:54 PM

They are for protecting nozzles, I have them for that reason.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
The villages owned property must have thousands of sprinkler heads and not one donut.
A lot are replaced regularly
Old 04-25-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I don't know how many times I've seen groundskeepers adjusting sprinkler heads along Morse Blvd, Buena Vista and Meggison Way. If lawn mowers didn't hit them, how did they get out of adjustment?
As pop up sprinklers age, 1- they don't go fully down. Damage is easy 2-they get out of alignment normally over time.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
Been pondering the same. But, my assumption was that the ground level was somehow rising rather than sinking. Does dirt grow? Can thatch become dirt over such short periods? Tectonics would drag the sprinkler system along with it, no? Can grass roots raise the dirt level? (They'd wait a million years. . .).
Rain would constantly be washing soil away into lower areas - like the ponds and lakes. The house area would be the last to sink because the roof is causing the rain water to stay away from the dirt level under the house.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric View Post
A lot are replaced regularly
Village property is protected from car and truck traffic by curbs and parking lots that are designed by professional landscapers. The Villagers individual yards are not protected near the street.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,285 Times in 4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Village property is protected from car and truck traffic by curbs and parking lots that are designed by professional landscapers. The Villagers individual yards are not protected near the street.
Incorrect. MANY, MANY homes have concrete curbs. Mine does...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-25-2024, 08:33 PM

Funny story I moved to Dallas from Fort Lauderdale in 2019. I went to Home Depot and Lowe’s and no one ever heard of a Sprinkler donut!!!’ They did not know what I was talking about. When I went back to a trip to Florida, I bought about 20 and put them in my suitcase! They’re great to mark where the sprinklers are and keep grass from growing over too much
Old 04-26-2024, 10:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
I don't think the ground level is rising significantly. Most of the planet surface is gradually sinking underground that will over time be melted in the earths core and will eventually return as new surface. Probably easiest to see in an area such as the land at the end of the Mississippi River--like a giant conveyer belt going down to the earths core.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Do we really need tin foil hats?
Of course we do. I mean there's aliens, ancient aliens, future aliens. Probably aliens probing our lawns. Tinfoil hats I will buy way before sprinkler donuts.

Tags
donuts, sprinkler, lake, heads, john

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.