Uneven lawn

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Default Uneven lawn

Sod on the lawn finally seems to have 'taken' and has better color and texture. Problem is it has high and low spots all over.
Is there a way I can even the lawn by myself or do I need to get a landscaper?
Old 09-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Gold member

If your house is less than a year old call the warrety dept. They should be able to have the landscaper get in touch with you. A friend of mine had a similar problem and the landscaper had to come back and add dirt to the low spots.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Unfortunately, when the landscapers install sod, I don't believe they roll it after installation. If they do, I've never seen them do it. Hopefully, you are still under warranty. Otherwise, as previously mentioned, you will have to buy top soil and add it to your low spots yourself or pay a landscaper to do it.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

We closed on our house Aug 15 and moved in Sept 1. We had low spots and bare spots in the yard. We called Warranty and they sent the landscaper who said it was the fault of TV since they don't pay to have the lawn maintained, only installed. I passed that on to Warranty, they said "really" and that was the last I heard. It's not the end of the world and Deans has said, while it will take time, they will be able to correct it. Overall the builder and Warranty have been excellent in correcting our issues, just feel they want nothing to do with sod.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We closed on our house Aug 15 and moved in Sept 1. We had low spots and bare spots in the yard. We called Warranty and they sent the landscaper who said it was the fault of TV since they don't pay to have the lawn maintained, only installed. I passed that on to Warranty, they said "really" and that was the last I heard. It's not the end of the world and Deans has said, while it will take time, they will be able to correct it. Overall the builder and Warranty have been excellent in correcting our issues, just feel they want nothing to do with sod.
Since your house is still under warranty, keep calling them. It's their responsibility to see that it's right.

Down the road you don't want someone tripping and suing you. Low spots on your property is a hazard. Bug them until they fix it!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:46 PM

If not under warranty, try feathering directly over the sod with sand or top soil on the low spots. The grass will eventually grow through it. If they are really low, you will need to cut and pull back the sod and place sand underneath and then roll the sod back in place. Remember to water the sod so the roots take hold again. This is exactly what the landscapers did when we had them out on warranty issues.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Gold member

Keep calling them . My friend had the same problem, bare spots an uneven areas. He got his fixed by the landscaper who laid the sod.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:51 AM

We moved into our CYV in April and reported a similar problem to Warranty. They had the landscaper come out to look at it. I had asked that the entire lawn be properly rolled and their excuse was that the roller would not fit through the gates in the back yard. I explained to them that this was their problem and I did not care what steps they took but I wanted the yard leveled without all the low spots. The next week they came out and hand spread topsoil in all the low areas. It looked bad for 7-10 days but after that the grass grew through and now everything looks good. Do not accept the excuses and remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

New home in Gilchrist - moved in Feb '14. Sod was placed directly on sand fill, and required a lot of irrig for months. During early summer grass struggled and developed areas of nogrowth, then weeds esp in the back. Leaned on Heron (our fert folks) extra care by them, good watering (natural and 3x per week irrig), Black Kow spread into on bare spots - and now our lawn looks as nice as the established homes (were built 1 1/2-2 years back). Lawn is full, lush, green, and few weeds. Very pleased. It takes a bit of effort, care, and especially time - I'd guess for the sod/Zoysia root system to finally....take root.

I still find it startling how sod can grow in such a sandy/clay environment.
A thumbs up for Heron.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Since your house is still under warranty, keep calling them. It's their responsibility to see that it's right.

Down the road you don't want someone tripping and suing you. Low spots on your property is a hazard. Bug them until they fix it!
Landscaper was out for the second time, this time instead of blaming TV he told us he will be here next week to cut out the bad spots and re-sod. We will see but either the Warranty Department or the builder or both finally understood the issue and took the appropriate steps. Two calls.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.