What garden tools to move to the villages?

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Default What garden tools to move to the villages?

I have some garden tools both manual (rakes, spade, loper, etc.) and power (hedge clippers, chain saw). Does anyone have any suggestion about what garden tools would be worth moving down if any? My wife has her own small collection of tools for maintaining flower beds, etc. also.

-Dave-
Old 12-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The yards are small, but still require some hands on maintenance not provided by the very good lawn care people. We just returned from our first 6 weeks long visit to our new Hadley home. In that time I needed a shovel, a leaf rake, a weed "poker", a trowel, a watering can and a hose. We planted some bushes rescued from a friends new pool area (that shed all of their leaves before resprouting) and added a few Plumbagos and Dianthus. The weeds grow like weeds and the weed tool was a help between administrations by the folks who care for things.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Default Landsacpe

Just bring your wallet... $ 50 to cut yard, $75 a quarter to have bushes trimed...

Play Golf all the time....Priceless
Old 12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

garage sales provide a good supply of those kind of tools.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Sage

And I suppose too, that it is more a question of if you want to play in the dirt or not. I like gardening. It certainly doesn't require much time in our small yard. Now SamHass has a YARD!
Old 12-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I agree with gracie, although it doesn't sound glamorous, yard work does provide something to pass the time if you enjoy doing it, which I do, and BTW I still manage to golf every day.....GN
Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
And I suppose too, that it is more a question of if you want to play in the dirt or not. I like gardening. It certainly doesn't require much time in our small yard. Now SamHass has a YARD!
My wife and I like to garden alot. We got many compliments about our flower and vegetable garden here. A lot of our stuff is Craftsman from Sears and I just didn't want to leave them behind only to find that we could have used them in our new house.

-Dave-
Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 PM

You say both you and your wife enjoy gardening and that you have some quality tools. Plants grow very quickly here so you definitely want to bring sharpened handheld pruners, loppers and a small pruning saw.

If you shape the hedges in your current home with a hedge trimmer, then bring it along. You'll find that hedge plants need pruning about every 2 months in the growing season (if you like your garden to look tidy).

A sharp pointed shovel is a necessity for cutting through St. Augustine grass. Homes farther south have zoysia; I don't know how easy or difficult it is to cut through it.

A hand trowel for planting and transplanting young plants is very handy. You'll also want a "dandelion" digger for weeding (no dandelions here that I've seen, however).

You'll also want hose, a hose reel, perhaps a watering wand, and a sprinkler. Even though you have a built in sprinkler system it sometimes doesn't concentrate water where you need it. Also we have in ground sprinkler watering restrictions; you are, however, allowed to hand water without restriction.

I live north of 466 and my soil is very sandy. However, I understand that there is clay in some areas south of 466. Depending upon your soil, you might have additional tools you'd want to keep.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Sage

Now I know what my weed "poker" is called! A dandelion digger! You are so right about the right pointed shovel to cut through the grass, after that the sandy earth is easy to move!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.