Allergy Season in FL?

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Allergy Season in FL?

Glorious Spring has arrived here in Ohio. Dressed to the nines. A splendid show. All in shades of bright green, purple, pink. And a white that is whiter than snow.

But this beauty must always bring that bad boy Pollen along for the ride. Without him, she is nothing.

So here is what I want to know this morning:

If you are someone who knows all about seasonal allergies and you are in TV, how are you doing now where your nose is concerned? Are you sneezing and snorting around?

Boomer

btw, I know I could have looked this up somewhere probably. But I have become so spoiled by being able to ask questions here on TOTV and get really good answers, from people who really do know, that I am now in the habit of bringing my questions here first. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Allergy Season in FL?

My nose dripped it seems every Spring while I was in MN. This was almost as irritating as the state bird of MN-- the mosquito, but not quite.

It seems a lot better for me here allergy wise in TV than I had it anywhere else I have lived with the possible exception of Reno, Nevada.

I still need to take allergy pills here in TV but not so frequently.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:33 PM

Hello

I have an allergy problem too. When we stayed in TV this past January, I noticed that I felt better and sneezed less. When we returned to Pittsburgh PA in Feb I immediately felt congested again. Recently we just found out after the American Lung Association issued its annual report on air pollution, ranking cities most affected by three types of pollution: short-term particle pollution, year-round particle pollution and ozone pollution, that Pittsburgh is the #1 city in the country for air pollution, beating out LA! What a shocker! My husband said that since FL is a peninsula there is greater movement of air across the state which helps to clean the air (that is when the air is not stagnant). Of course, when the forest fires happen, that changes the air quality. We stayed in Daytona the year before when the forest fires were at their peak in FL in May and we had to leave before our vacation was over because of the smoke in the air. Couldn't even walk on the beach. YuK!!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Tal, thanks, you certainly have experience with lots of locations to use for comparison. I'm glad TV is better for you. And I will take humidity over dry heat like Nevada anytime. In fact, I actually really like humidity.

Joanne, thank you. I had wondered about that peninsula thing. Makes sense.

Anybody else out there with hands on, or should I say nose on, experience with this comparison question?

Boomer

Old 05-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Gold member

Don't know if it is lack of rain in TV or pollen from trees and grass, but I have lived here for ten years and this is the first year I have been bothered with allergies. Clarinex and nasal spray have worked but just when I thought it was all over, nose started running again, so it's back to pharmacy. I have been told by my doctor that this year has been worse for many of his patients.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Veteran member

Another factor is the elimination of all vegetation during the land development process. If you buy a new home in these recently scoured areas, it will be years before vegetation grows back to the point that would generate pollen to the same extent as mature subdivisions with lots of trees and shrubs will generate. For many or us allergy sufferers, that is a good thing. There are plenty of huge oak trees to hug in other areas of TV.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.