Dr Nguyen - knee replacement - just had it done

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2015, 02:25 AM

Dr Nguyen--down to 4 months....and counting
Old 01-31-2015, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Be sure to let us know a couple days before so we can perform some TOTV good wishes for a successful operation.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:52 AM
Platinum member

How will this impact sports activity? Could a person easily play golf, tennis, softball, or other sports with the new knee?
Old 01-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Just had my 6 week follow up with Dr Nguyen and got cleared for golf, water volleyball and whatever I would routinely do. IN finishing up PT at Physio Med near Home Depot, they told me I met all goals and they asked me was there anything else they could help me with. I wanted to get back to water volleyball and golf which involve twisting and jumping. So the PT at my last session included jumping on a trampoline both holding on and well as hands free, and twisting exercises(within limits) . This was more of a confidence builder (mental) that I could do what I wanted with no pain. Enjoyed PT at this location....very personal staff.

BTW: For new patients of Dr Nguyen, they are scheduling surgery for September....that is 7-8 months out.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:03 PM

I had my knee replacement on 12/4, done by Dr. Duke at Marion community Hospital in Ocala. I was off pain meds in less than a week, no muscle or tendons cut. I used the walker for about ten days and then a cane for a week. I was golfing at six weeks from front tees. Have been released at eight weeks for full golfing, water volleyball and working back into pickleball. I couldn't be happier with Dr. Duke who has done over 7,500 knee replacements.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Gold member

I have been going to Dr Duke's practice for a year now for steroid injections every 3 months, for both knees. They are deteriorating very quickly. The steroids no longer give me relief for more than 6 weeks.

I called last week to make an apt to see Dr. Duke. Now, mind you, I have been a patient there for a year and never seen by him, just his PA, which was fine with me because steroids were what I needed. But things have changed.

I was told that he would only see me after I did my pre op clearance by my PCP, Chest x ray and pre op labs. We would not see me, period, until those things were done.

That really turned me off. He has been signing off on my care for a year now and yet will not see me?? I am a RN and I get the need for PAs and NPs. But my MD should see me if I want to be seen. i don't know if I am ready for TKR, or if there are other options. That is why I wanted to be seen by him.

I called Dr Nguyen on the same day. I have an appt with HIM for next week in Maitland as he no longer comes up here on Fridays. But I don't mind driving an hr if I will be seen by the surgeon and we can discuss my options, waiting, not waiting, bilateral TKR, etc.

I set my appts for the pre op stuff that Duke wants and he will see me in late April. Dr Nguyen is seeing me a month earlier and I have never been to his practice.

I have the feeling that I will already be on the surgical schedule with Dr Nguyen by the time Duke is willing to see me.

This has been a big turn off for me.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

I had a TKR in November of 2013 performed by Dr. Nguyen at the Florida Hospital Altamonte. I am 100% satisfied and I cannot recommend Dr Nguyen highly enough!!! Just make sure you do the rehab as instructed.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
...i don't know if I am ready for TKR, or if there are other options. That is why I wanted to be seen by him...
With all due respect, I was told that that very uncertainty is why the first step toward a TKR is to see the PA for just such a discussion. Seemed very reasonable to me and it worked out well.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:54 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Dr Nguyen

Where is Dr Nguyen and where does he operate? What is his first name?

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 04-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
Where is Dr Nguyen and where does he operate? What is his first name?
HIs business card shows Dr Steve V. Nguyen. He operates from The Florida Hospital in Alamonte Springs on Monday, tuesday and thursdays...very nice hospital about 1:20 - 1:30 mintues from TV. His PAs have office hours in TV off of Rolling Acres Rd on Fridays while Dr Nguyen and his other PA has office hours in Maitland Florida on Wednesday and Friday.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

TY Caroline

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

Does anyone know if your insurance will pay for the surgery the way Dr. Nguyen performs it? I mean, when I had my cataract surgery, insurance would not pay for the laser portion of the surgery, only the "old-fashioned" hand cutting surgery. The old-fashioned way is still a good way to go and very safe and reliable, but the laser is the way of the future progression, but no insurance will cover it.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 AM

Yes, insurance covers Dr. Nguyens surgery. I had surgery March 17th and was playing golf 20 days later. Very fast recovery along with you dedication to rehab therapy.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Platinum member

I have 3 surgeries scheduled with Dr. Nguyen (and no, I do not have 3 legs). 1st is Monday to incise and drain a Morel Levelleur Lesion which other orthos here in The Villages diagnosed as a hematoma that would gradually lessen. 18 months later it is still huge. 1st knee replacement in July, 2nd in Oct. He has done 22 in our neighborhood and all with fantastic results. My BC/BS is covering it. Surgery for non Medicare patients is done by him at the Surgical Ctr in Orlando as day surgeries. Medicare requires overnight stays and are done at Florida Hospital Altamont Springs. I'll update after each surgery.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
I have 3 surgeries scheduled with Dr. Nguyen (and no, I do not have 3 legs). 1st is Monday to incise and drain a Morel Levelleur Lesion which other orthos here in The Villages diagnosed as a hematoma that would gradually lessen. 18 months later it is still huge. 1st knee replacement in July, 2nd in Oct. He has done 22 in our neighborhood and all with fantastic results. My BC/BS is covering it. Surgery for non Medicare patients is done by him at the Surgical Ctr in Orlando as day surgeries. Medicare requires overnight stays and are done at Florida Hospital Altamont Springs. I'll update after each surgery.
WOW are you saying he is doing outpaitent total knee replacement surgeries if you have other than Medicare insurance. I know he is good but alot of things can happen (primarily blood clots). I have medicare but also BC/BS and his office secures a 5 day hospital stay approval from BC/BS in advance even though we only use one. There are added out of pocket costs with a hospital stay when you only have insurance such as BCBS, but a TKR is a major surgery and we in TV live 1:30 minutes if we would ever have to get back to see him quickly!! Not sure I would be willing to take that risk!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.