I've fallen and I can't get up - recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Veteran member
Default I've fallen and I can't get up - recommendations

Does anyone have any first hand experience using one of the 'I've fallen and I can't get up' alert companies? A neighbor has had a stroke and cannot speak more than a few words and his wife is afraid to leave him alone too long for fear that something might happen to him and he be unable to communicate with 911 folks. Any first hand info - good or otherwise would be appreciated ,as well as the name of the company. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Default Re: I've fallen and I can't get up - recommendations

We recently purchased a Lasershield alarm from Circuit City. It is a monitored motion detection system but ALSO has a portable panic button that could be carried with the person. The monitoring charge is $19.95 /mo (month to month, NO CONTRACT!) and emergency calls are referred to the local 911 and they send the Sheriff to investigate. I did set it off in error and the Sheriff was at the door in about 5 minutes. I was impressed!

It might not suit you but it seems good to me.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: I've fallen and I can't get up - recommendations

They are worth it ONLY if the person is cognitively capable of using it! If he knows to push that button in case of an emergency then it will be fine...

The problems I have seen in the past are:

Forgetting to use it
Not wearing it all the time and don't have it when needed
Not wanting to "bother" anyone by pushing the button

I would also suggest getting the kind that looks like a watch...on the wrist....less likely to be taken off. When worn around the neck it tends to be taken off while changing clothes etc....

The wrist band can be worn in the shower as well.

Now if her husband is really in danger of falling...I would really suggest she hire someone to come stay with him while she is out...she certainly won't worry as much then.

But the alert system will be good for her as well! If something happens while she is there in the house...and she can't help him....she will want to be able to just push the button instead of finding a phone, etc.....

Suzy Toronto
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.