Leg/foot cramps

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2008, 03:29 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default Re: Leg/foot cramps

My mother would suffer with leg cramps and her solution that worked so well for her was to walk on a cold tile floor or any cold floor which seemed to relieve the cramping.

It works for me as well.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 08-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Gold member

Wow this place has changed...what happened to the friendly Forum? Why is it a big deal for someone to start a new thread under a different Forum? Where, in my humble opinion, the topic really belongs...Medical and Health.

I originated this thread... "Easing the pain of Plantar fasclitis and leg /foot cramps" on March 17th of this year. Unless the reader was around then and/or knows how to search, which a lot of viewers probably don't know how to do for awhile upon joining us, the reader would have totally missed this topic....and the relief it could afford them based on advice from other sufferers...both male and female.

I mentioned the lip biting technique again recently in the "feminine forum" under the topic "Restless Legs" which I don't have and would not have read except my friend started the topic. I read it and added my comment.

If I were a guy I would not read the articles in the Feminine Forum not because it is "verboten", but because they would be of little interest to me. I personally don't read the Men's Forum if it is even still around. Don't know, don't care.

I personally would not have expected to find relief for leg/foot cramps under the topic "Restless Legs" if I hadn't written it myself.

I think this information has finally found it rightful home.
Always Susan, never Tom.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Veteran member

Thanks......
Old 08-08-2008, 02:01 PM
JohnnyM

Personally, if a topic that relates to many, men and/or women is posted in two different places, so what? If someone misses a thread and comes upon a new updated version of the same topic such as the posting of CIB, so what? As long as the information helps others that missed the original post made in this case by Susan; that is a good thing. The info on the post was not gibberish or gossipy, it was educational and beneficial. Just my thoughts.....
Old 08-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

Susan&Tom...... THANKS so much for explaining the background of this topic! And, thanks peazoup, nonie, red, caroline barb, Johnny & Chuck for your positive contribution.

(sigh) ........ for a while there I thought the Forum-Placement-Police were gonna get after me :

Seriously, those who have experienced the pain of leg/foot cramps, especially in the middle of the night, can relate to the frustration. Any information or tips we can share benefits all!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Sage

Coney, you are so right. At this age we get pains in places we can't believe. Anything that helps can only be a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIslandBabe
Susan&Tom...... THANKS so much for explaining the background of this topic! And, thanks peazoup, nonie, red, caroline barb, Johnny & Chuck for your positive contribution.

(sigh) ........ for a while there I thought the Forum-Placement-Police were gonna get after me :

Seriously, those who have experienced the pain of leg/foot cramps, especially in the middle of the night, can relate to the frustration. Any information or tips we can share benefits all!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI
Ok, ladies and gents, now I'm confused!! :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

What is the difference between these topics:
  • Sistahs
  • Brown Age Spots
  • One Good thing you have done for yourself
  • Girlfriends

I find I have to read all 4 topics in order to keep a running commentary on what everyone is saying! Do ya think we need all those topic headings or can we reduce some of them?

Topic Cop :cop: think we need some organization here??? :bigthumbsup:
I don't know that this will work, but back in April '08, we had this situation going on. I received many PM's about this post from people agreeing with me. What I was trying to do was stopping history from repeating itself. In my opinion, if there is already a subject matter ongoing, putting the same information under a different category isn't really necessary and before you know it, there are 4 threads all ongoing with the same information. Its just an organizational thing coming from a true "Virgo"...

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 08-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Veteran member

Kathie..... I've been thinking real hard to respond to your desire to have topics all in one place and not have to read several threads and see the same information. But.... Susan has really said it better than I could!

Some people don't read every post on every topic. When it comes to important health information - I'm of the opinion that having it possibly repeated at several sources is a good thing!!

I have learned so much about health and nutrition and alternative medical information from individuals on the internet that I never mind seeing it repeated because repitition of valuable information reinforces my memory of it.

Yes.... samhass... we do agree ;D

Waiting for my next leg cramp to test the lower-lip-biting remedy again

Old 08-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Veteran member

Leg and foot cramps are not restless leg syndrome. I get leg and foot cramps at night and do not have restless leg syndrome. I chose to read this topic for that reason. Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Veteran member

Once again CIB and mfp I agree. Would not be interested, no way ever in reading about Sistahs, brown age spots, etc mentioned by Kathie. Would miss therefore the leg cramp thread which I incidentally suffer from and no I don't need a bar of soap Handie . Cramps in the middle of the night hurt and it is no laughing matter.

Used to get them big time after running during the day. Would wake up in the middle of the night with my heel up to my butt with a cramping calf muscle. Now with more potassium, etc. don't seem to have the problem as frequently.

Sorry for the rant...........but I do appreciate the info posted as "LEG CRAMPS".

Old 08-15-2008, 12:41 AM

You may also want to try pinching the upper lip just under the center of the nose. I have found this to help when I get that muscle cramp and/or the cramp in the arch of the foot.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Veteran member

Whatever..... THANK YOU ! When I get a painful cramp, I'll try anything ! I'm making a special effort to drink more water and eat a 'nanner a day ! ;D
Old 08-15-2008, 01:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Cramping of the calf muscles can result also from hypocalcimia. LOW blood calcium
Old 08-15-2008, 01:36 AM
Veteran member

Hmmmmmm..... gracie ...... I think you have a good point. I do take Cal/Mag/Citrate with Vit.D but probably not enough ! I'll up it to the suggested amount on the bottle, and see how that goes. There have been occasions when I had excruciating pain in my leg that felt like it was coming from the bone........ that makes me think it just might be a calcium deficiency.

Thanks for the tip! :bigthumbsup:

Old 08-18-2008, 11:54 PM

My husband gets TERRIBLE leg cramps after a day of working hard outside.
When he has worked hard or sweated excessively,
he always tries to remember to take an aspirin before going to bed.
If he forgets, he gets a leg cramp. Then chokes down an aspirin as fast as possible.
He's swears by the aspirin. Keeps em in his bedside drawer.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.