Maybe my original idea is old hat---

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Sage
Default Maybe my original idea is old hat---

I shop the perimeter of the grocery stores now so I don't need to read the labels very much. But now my son cannot eat gluten and he's reading labels.

Here is my idea that needs work.
How about a thin stripes around food products? boxes, cans, frozen food, jars

green stripe----no gluten
silver stripe----no sugar
cyan stripe-----no caffeine
sunny yellow---no salt
white-----------no wheat

Can you think of any more ingredients that require warnings? I tried to make the colors start with the letter of the ingredient as best I could.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I shop the perimeter of the grocery stores now so I don't need to read the labels very much. But now my son cannot eat gluten and he's reading labels.

Here is my idea that needs work.
How about a thin stripes around food products? boxes, cans, frozen food, jars

sunny yellow---no salt
white-----------no wheat

Can you think of any more ingredients that require warnings? I tried to make the colors start with the letter of the ingredient as best I could.
I would love to see NO MSG on labels. Some of the labels are so small. If I can't read it, I can't buy it. Unfortunately, MSG is being added to a lot of products lately. Aldi's has removed it from ALL of their store brand products.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Platinum member
Default warnings on labels.

fat-free or low fat
Old 01-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I would love to see NO MSG on labels. Some of the labels are so small. If I can't read it, I can't buy it. Unfortunately, MSG is being added to a lot of products lately. Aldi's has removed it from ALL of their store brand products.
You got it.

midnight blue---no MSG
Old 01-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
fat-free or low fat
You got it.
fire engine red......fat free

Is low fat defined by an agreed upon percentage of fat?
Old 01-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Gold member

I've been reading labels for years. It drives me crazy that the print on the labels is so small you have to take a magnifying glass to the grocery store! So, you might have a good idea!

But the grocery stores will never go along with it. How would they be able to move all the items to different aisles? By moving things around, they get the consumer to look at more aisles and see different products. Items that probably weren't on their shopping list. It's a win for the grocer because the consumer spends more money. The color coding would defeat their purpose.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
I've been reading labels for years. It drives me crazy that the print on the labels is so small you have to take a magnifying glass to the grocery store! So, you might have a good idea!

But the grocery stores will never go along with it. How would they be able to move all the items to different aisles? By moving things around, they get the consumer to look at more aisles and see different products. Items that probably weren't on their shopping list. It's a win for the grocer because the consumer spends more money. The color coding would defeat their purpose.
The items stay where they are. Let's pretend you are looking at rice and pick up a box of rice a roni in the rice section of the store.

The box has a cyan stripe and silver stripe. You would know it was caffeine free and had no sugar. The other stripes are missing so this item has gluten,salt,wheat,msg.
no reading

My son would only look for items that have a green stripe.

the legend or rules,,,if it has a:
sunny yellow---no salt
white-----------no wheat
matalic blue---no msg

I think the store might sell more to my son because he has more money than time. So I could see him trying lot's of products with green stripes.

Last edited by tomwed; 01-07-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
gluten, stripe----no, labels, idea, sunny, yellow---no, salt, caffeine, stripe-----no, green, products, silver, cyan, sugar, colors, make, start, ingredient, ingredients, require, warnings, food, letter, read, stores

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.