Medicare increase

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2016, 06:50 AM
Sage
Default Medicare increase

My Medicare supplement payment jumped from $207 to $302. Whoa!
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 01-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Email Reported As Spam

We had a modest jump
Old 01-01-2016, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Someone's gotta pay for the "affordable care act".
Old 01-01-2016, 08:57 AM

My supplemental health care premium went up although my income did not. First time in my working career and retirement my net income was less than the previous year. I'm afraid it is a sign of hard times to come.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:39 AM

Ours went up from $185.75 to $187.75 for plan F.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Just remember the quality, the service and COST is the least today it will ever be again.

We will start to feel the real effects of the wrongly named affordable care act over the coming years.

As has been mentioned previously as all those under age are continued on family policies and all the pre-existing condition and subsidized first timers all start to place claims on the providers, the pay for incident rate will increase and the amount of money paid out by insurance providers will increase, reducing their profits. Then the insurance companies as they have been doing will begin to raise premiums to recover those losses.

And as the volume of folks icreases in the health care system doctors and facilites you will see a further reduction in quality of service and increasing times before seeing a doctor. And the time the doctor spends with you will decrease and care will become less and less personal.

Folks who want to keep the same level of care they currently enjoy will opt to spend more to stay out of the "run of the mill" patient glut system.

And then we will see the impact of more doctors not accepting certain insurance providers as they cannot afford the low payments made for services. They in turn will become the providers for those of us who will pay more to retain what we currently have.

What you are experiencing now is only the beginning.

Affordable health care......not a chance.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Just remember the quality, the service and COST is the least today it will ever be again.

We will start to feel the real effects of the wrongly named affordable care act over the coming years.

As has been mentioned previously as all those under age are continued on family policies and all the pre-existing condition and subsidized first timers all start to place claims on the providers, the pay for incident rate will increase and the amount of money paid out by insurance providers will increase, reducing their profits. Then the insurance companies as they have been doing will begin to raise premiums to recover those losses.

And as the volume of folks icreases in the health care system doctors and facilites you will see a further reduction in quality of service and increasing times before seeing a doctor. And the time the doctor spends with you will decrease and care will become less and less personal.

Folks who want to keep the same level of care they currently enjoy will opt to spend more to stay out of the "run of the mill" patient glut system.

And then we will see the impact of more doctors not accepting certain insurance providers as they cannot afford the low payments made for services. They in turn will become the providers for those of us who will pay more to retain what we currently have.

And the alternative is?
Old 01-01-2016, 11:04 AM

My blue cross plan f went from197.30 to 205.30. Try blue cross
Old 01-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
And the alternative is?
Too late for that now....the ACA was rammed into effect.

An alternative before would have been to leave the existing system of health care coverage in place for those who it was working OK in coverage and service.

Then they could have done something to address those areas and those idividuals they were supposedly trying to improve coverage for or help.

That would have been a much smaller, much more identifiable bite than upending the entire system.

For me the old system worked just fine. A fix was MAYBE needed for those who had no insurance or lack of coverage or could not get insurance.

Why do I say MAYBE? Because very little is said these days about the large percent of those who have no insurance who have no intention of getting or wanting insurance as long as they have to spend even $1 of their own money.

Health care costs were and are destined to increase no matter what. The ACA has only increased the eventuality and the rate of the financial increases.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

100% correct
Old 01-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Smile

Quote:
Too late for that now....the ACA was rammed into effect.

An alternative before would have been to leave the existing system of health care coverage in place for those who it was working OK in coverage and service.

Then they could have done something to address those areas and those idividuals they were supposedly trying to improve coverage for or help.

That would have been a much smaller, much more identifiable bite than upending the entire system.

For me the old system worked just fine. A fix was MAYBE needed for those who had no insurance or lack of coverage or could not get insurance.

Why do I say MAYBE? Because very little is said these days about the large percent of those who have no insurance who have no intention of getting or wanting insurance as long as they have to spend even $1 of their own money.

Health care costs were and are destined to increase no matter what. The ACA has only increased the eventuality and the rate of the financial increases.
You obviously never had an employer cancel everyone's insurance and then try to find health care when you are over 50 or 60 years old. I did.
Let's fix ACA not just try to eliminate it just because it was Obama's idea.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybye View Post
You obviously never had an employer cancel everyone's insurance and then try to find health care when you are over 50 or 60 years old. I did.
Well, I did. Being self-employed and in the individual market, I was among the first to be cancelled as a consequence of the so called ACA. I'm not sure why you had trouble picking up new insurance. Fixing ACA sounds like a good idea on the surface, but this law is so deeply flawed that it may be unfixable. Eliminating it just because it was "Obama's idea" would be good enough reason in and of itself, but unfortunately it wasn't even his idea. Jonathan Gruber had a great deal of input for his 6 million dollars, but he is an idealist, not a pragmatist. Again, remember, ACA has almost nothing to do with health care reform and everything to do with "income redistribution" and government control of 1/6 of our economy. You cannot add 40 million uninsured people as well as those with expensive pre-existing conditions to the system without dramatically increasing costs, most of which come from "other people's money". But if this was the goal, they could have simply passed a law mandating coverage similar to the assigned risk pool for auto insurance. It would still cost more, but at least we wouldn't have the 33%+ additional cost of the feds running things. But then it would not achieve the true goal of government control.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

My BCBS went up 4%. Last year it went up 2.5%. But compared to the increases I had before the ACA it is hard to complain.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybye View Post
No you are right but I do have first hand knowledge.

My wife because of pre-existing conditions.
And was involved in the cancellation of company insurance.

I am not debating the need for the fall out of such events or covering those who have been deemed uninsureable for what ever wacky or legitimate reason.
Nor am I debating the merits or lack of them to cover evrybody that has not had insurance....except for the percentage within this group that do not want it and would rather spend the money on other stuff.

What I am debating is why fix what part of the old system that did not need it? Why dismantle everything to incorporate what was working into a mega, MEGA blanket for everybody....that nobody could adequately define.....that nobody could assign a cost and are still trying.

And I am most certainly debating that to fix health care issues has become a federal government project. Politicians who are trained and experienced at only one thing....election and staying in office as long as the incompetence will endure.

There was and still is no need to fix what was not broken!
Old 01-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
My BCBS went up 4%. Last year it went up 2.5%. But compared to the increases I had before the ACA it is hard to complain.
Apples and oranges, one has nothing to do with the other, especially if you have a group plan. Not all people with private insurance have increased premiums commensurate with the increased cost of ACA. Consider yourself lucky, my premium went up 19% last year and 12% this year.
Closed Thread

Tags
medicare, $207, $302, whoa, jumped, increase, supplement, payment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.