P53, The Gene That Cracked The Cancer Code

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2015, 09:59 AM
Sage
Default P53, The Gene That Cracked The Cancer Code

That's the title of the book: P53, The Gene That Cracked The Cancer Code by Sue Armstrong, a science writer.

To me the book was a tedious read because it follows p53 research from the very beginning when they thought it was an oncogene. After some 10 years of thinking it was an oncogene, they discovered it's really a tumor suppressor gene. To make a long story short, the book ends on an "optimistic" note. Gerard Evan, a UK biology professor, was quoted in the last paragraph of the book predicting positive changes to "contain" cancer which may happen over a period of 10, 15, to 20 years. And that's an optimistic estimate.

My conclusion: I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a genetic cure for cancer. If it comes, it won't come soon enough for those of us who are 60+ years old. I'm 74. I figure the best I can do NOW is to live the healthiest lifestyle that I possibly can.

Here's a link that explains the P53 gene: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5864267_fu...-p53-gene_html

You may remember I said previously that genes can be turned on and off based on lifestyle activities. This is the case with the P53 gene, in my opinion. At some point it may stop functioning normally - it gets turned off. Notice in the last paragraph of the link, under Current Research, they say that scientists are looking for "ways of replacing, repairing or turning on the p53 gene." But, guess what, they're not looking for lifestyle changes because they are geneticists.

T. Colin Campbell, PhD, has already demonstrated how cancer initiation (promotion and progression) can be turned on and off through dietary means. For more information on that, read his book "The China Study".

Last edited by Villages PL; 04-18-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the link. There was a great how on PBS called "Cancer - The Emperor of all Disease". It was done by Ken Burns and well worth watching.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhillsgirl View Post
Thanks for the link. There was a great how on PBS called "Cancer - The Emperor of all Disease". It was done by Ken Burns and well worth watching.
Thanks. I don't watch TV but if it comes to the library on DVD I'll watch it. Over the years I've watched many good science programs on DVD.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Thanks. I don't watch TV but if it comes to the library on DVD I'll watch it. Over the years I've watched many good science programs on DVD.

Why don't you watch TV?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Default Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
That's the title of the book: P53, The Gene That Cracked The Cancer Code by Sue Armstrong, a science writer.

To me the book was a tedious read because it follows p53 research from the very beginning when they thought it was an oncogene. After some 10 years of thinking it was an oncogene, they discovered it's really a tumor suppressor gene. To make a long story short, the book ends on an "optimistic" note. Gerard Evan, a UK biology professor, was quoted in the last paragraph of the book predicting positive changes to "contain" cancer which may happen over a period of 10, 15, to 20 years. And that's an optimistic estimate.

My conclusion: I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a genetic cure for cancer. If it comes, it won't come soon enough for those of us who are 60+ years old. I'm 74. I figure the best I can do NOW is to live the healthiest lifestyle that I possibly can.

Here's a link that explains the P53 gene: What Are the Functions of the p53 Gene? | eHow

You may remember I said previously that genes can be turned on and off based on lifestyle activities. This is the case with the P53 gene, in my opinion. At some point it may stop functioning normally - it gets turned off. Notice in the last paragraph of the link, under Current Research, they say that scientists are looking for "ways of replacing, repairing or turning on the p53 gene." But, guess what, they're not looking for lifestyle changes because they are geneticists.

T. Colin Campbell, PhD, has already demonstrated how cancer initiation (promotion and progression) can be turned on and off through dietary means. For more information on that, read his book "The China Study".
Thank you for your review, the link and your views on the cancer gene situation. I hate it when a book turns out to be tedious when the subject should be anything but. I looked forward to a book on left/right brain studies by Mike Gazzaniga - Tales From Both Sides Of the Brain, and it was the same thing....excruciatingly tedious, but the author seemed to really be enjoying himself writing about his personal history and people he fought with. So disappointing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.