Purchase eyeglasses around TV

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Veteran member
Default Purchase eyeglasses around TV

Does anyone have any first hand experience purchasing eyeglasses in or around TV? I'm in need of new reading & distance glasses and am looking for good or bad experiences. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, 8)
Old 04-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Default Re: Purchase eyeglasses around TV

We're not in the Villages yet. We began a couple years ago to buy our glasses on-line. It's been a good experience so far.
New Jersey
Old 04-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default I've Purchased From The Opthmalogist Or Optometrist For Years, But...

...next time around I'm going to try some place like WalMart. If one's Rx is fairly simple, you have to ask yourself, "how bad can they screw up?" And even if they do, their satisfaction guarantee is hard to beat. Their prices, of course, are rock bottom for products of comparable quality.

On a similar subject, I have a friend who purchased his hearing aids at WalMart after having an analysis done by their in-house audiologist. He's been happy as a clam with the service and the hearing aids and tells me that he saved over 50%--several thousand dollars--over what exactly the same thing cost at an independent audiologist near him.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Gold member

Our youngest son visited recently and happened to mention that he was overdue on getting a prescription to renew his contact lenses. I suggested that since he was here relaxing, this would be a good time to do it, as once he got back he'd be back to working 16 hours a day.... Called around to the stores that often offer promos, like Wal-Mart, Sears, JCPenney. He and I were shocked at the prices of a simple examination, both of recalling that the same exams at the same stores up north were considerably less. Is this possible? Or could this examination have gone up significantly in cost all over the country in the past year? I would mention that Wal-Mart was (as expected) the least costly....
Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Veteran member

I visited Wal Mart and spoke to the manager and she used to manage a store elsewhere before coming here. The big difference appears to be that there is no commission paid for WM selling high priced frames and extras that you may or not receive. She indicated that the lenses come from the same place in TX that supplied her old store so there should be no difference in quality. Bottom line is that a pair of glasses could cost 1/2 to 1/3 of what you might be charged at a speciality brick & mortar location. I think I'll give them a try and see how it works.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Sage

I bought prescription sunglasses at the new Walmart on 466, excellent service, great price.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Gold member

Don't know what fee Walmart quoted for eye exam but son had one at our Arkansas Walmart and it was $52.00. Got his glasses at one hour frame place because he needed them ASAP. Our experience with the service at Walmart was much better than I was expecting except for the long wait because he didn't have an appointment.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 04-08-2008, 08:38 PM

Got mine at Walmart, very happy

drd
Old 06-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Veteran member

I got three pair from Wally World - Distance, reading & sunglasses (I can't adapt to any kind of bifocals). I am very happy with them and probably paid the same as I would have for one pair at one of the retail glasses stores. They have my recommendation :bigthumbsup:
Old 06-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Veteran member

If you are a Costco member you can get glasses and exam for a good price; Costco is in Alamonte Springs. We make a day of it, tuesday Morning, Home Goods, Macaroni Grill.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Platinum member

I got my glasses from http://www.zennioptical.com They are great. Heard about them from Clark Howard (radio) Very good prices.
Tampa, FL
Old 06-08-2008, 03:36 AM
mcelheny

I went to Lange and paid a fortune!! Thought I would get compliments on my Liz frames. nope.
Going back to Walmart!
Old 06-08-2008, 04:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Can Wal-mart accomodate us who need more complicated lenses? I pay over $400 out of pocket (with insurance) for my lenses and frames (includes sunglasses using an old pair of frames at no additional cost). It includes lenses specially made to reduce the thickness, UV protection, scratch resistance, and blended invisible trifocals.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

brightspot01, my sunglasses are UV protected as well as Polarized and all are scratch resistant (not scratch proof). The folks down there on 466 are very nice and will answer anything you ask of them. They also do the progressive bifocals, but I've worn single vision specs too long to adapt. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:33 AM
Veteran member

I just had a pair of regular glasses and sunglasses made at Walmart and I am very happy with them. I do not think that their prices were out of sight.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.