Rent increase on independent doctors

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Rent increase on independent doctors

My doctor rents his office in TV on Village property and practices independently from the Village Clinics. His rent has been raised to the point where he is having to relocate outside TV. Right now, this is just an aggravation, but as I get older it will be a real pain to have to travel on the main roads outside TV.

Has anyone else run into this with their physician? I hate to think that independent doctors are being "encouraged" to move off Village property, but it rather looks like it, which would leave The Villages Health system as the only alternative.

Thoughts?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-18-2016, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

On my list of ailments to discuss with my doctor I will be sure to include how much rent he pays!

There are very many businesess that either close or move for many reasons that will never be known to the public because it would embarass the owner/doctor/etc.

The most convenient excuse that places the responsibility for the event on someone else....the developer or that most often used one "TV".

In my humble opinion it is a too often used urban legend of convenience.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
On my list of ailments to discuss with my doctor I will be sure to include how much rent he pays!

There are very many businesess that either close or move for many reasons that will never be known to the public because it would embarass the owner/doctor/etc.

The most convenient excuse that places the responsibility for the event on someone else....the developer or that most often used one "TV".

In my humble opinion it is a too often used urban legend of convenience.
Snarky, but thank you for your valued input!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-18-2016, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

rrr

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-18-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I doubt that it is a conspiracy. I have NEVER had a doctor discuss rent with me, ever.

The Village Health System, desirable as it is, is limited to those with that "kind" of insurance, so that can't be a motive.

Perhaps look at the doctor. I know of one who was jailed for failure to pay child support. He is well liked but not board certified. Not all physicians are as financially successful as others and there usually is a reason, but I have NEVER heard of one who can't pay the rent. They usually wear expensive shirts, and great ties and drive nice cars. The deserved pay-off for all those years of education.
I have NEVER had a doctor discuss rent with me, ever.

Where, in my original post, did I say that the discussion had been with the physician?

Old 05-18-2016, 09:39 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I have a friend here in TV's that is a doctor. He also has told us his rent went up twice last year. He discussed how much, although I can't remember specifics now, but I remember just shaking my head. I have also heard from another friend, that their doctor's rent went up dramatically as well.
And some wonder why our squares have empty stores that aren't being filled?????
Please don't shoot the messenger.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Sage

Mostly

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-18-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Veteran member

Do you have ANY idea what business overhead expense and employee costs are, and how much time and money a dr. has to spend on bureaucratic nonsense like this below......

...which is time in which they are not able to see/treat patients???

And this is only the tip of the iceberg of what they have to do to actually get paid enough to pay their employees first and then themselves:

2016 Medicare fee schedule: What should you know? : Internal Medicine News
Old 05-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
Do you have ANY idea what business overhead expense and employee costs are, and how much time and money a dr. has to spend on bureaucratic nonsense like this below......

...which is time in which they are not able to see/treat patients???

And this is only the tip of the iceberg of what they have to do to actually get paid enough to pay their employees first and then themselves:

2016 Medicare fee schedule: What should you know? : Internal Medicine News
I am sure this is a valid argument, but are you suggesting that M.D.s should be given a break on rent? I haven't really seen any physicians in financial need.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM

My Dr. is moving off Villages property as well. When I ask him why he said the Villages had raised his rent $2,000.00 more per month and that the same thing had happened to 42 other physicians.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think the OP is upset his doctor will no longer be practicing within The Villages. I don't think he's knocking capitalism, landlords or the state of our health care system.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Soon then the market for off TV property office space will become less and assuming demand keeps up there will be price increases there as well.

I still maintain there is more to the story and that the rent is not the deciding factor; while being the convenient offering.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
I think the OP is upset his doctor will no longer be practicing within The Villages. I don't think he's knocking capitalism, landlords or the state of our health care system.
You are correct RickeyD. But, my post has, as usual, been taken as "knocking" the developer - ho hum, such is life on TOTV, which is why I rarely post.

I actually really really like capitalism .......... I've been part of it for many years and it has served me well. I've never been a landlord, but I did rent business space.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:05 PM

Wonder why Advanced Dermatology is building a new office in the Colony area. And tri country podiatry is building a new office. They are not part of The Villages Health. I guess they haven't gotten their rent increase yet?

Rent is a fixed expense and one of the very minor expenses in a medical practice. Please don't try to make every closed business the fault of high rents. It just isn't so.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMike View Post
My Dr. is moving off Villages property as well. When I ask him why he said the Villages had raised his rent $2,000.00 more per month and that the same thing had happened to 42 other physicians.
Forty two you say?

Tags
village, rent, doctors, independent, property

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.