Rent increase on independent doctors

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2016, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am sure this is a valid argument, but are you suggesting that M.D.s should be given a break on rent? I haven't really seen any physicians in financial need.
No. I meant to illustrate (for one thing) that rent expense is only one facet of small-business expense, and that many factors go into deciding that the rent is "too high".

Also meant to illustrate a portion of the hidden requirements of a practice of which the average Medicare- or insurance-covered patient is not aware. Such requirements are costly in terms of staff and contracted people to do all the Q.A. data collection, monitoring and reporting, accounting for penalties and reduced reimbursements, etc.

And, as mentioned above, some "high-roller" doctors are the reason for their own financial ruin, just as in any other business or personal finance situation.

Last edited by goodtimesintv; 05-18-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
My doctor rents his office in TV on Village property and practices independently from the Village Clinics. His rent has been raised to the point where he is having to relocate outside TV. Right now, this is just an aggravation, but as I get older it will be a real pain to have to travel on the main roads outside TV.

Has anyone else run into this with their physician? I hate to think that independent doctors are being "encouraged" to move off Village property, but it rather looks like it, which would leave The Villages Health system as the only alternative.

Thoughts?

Madelaine Amee: you have been a member of TOTV long enough
to recognize that any semblance of "developer markers" found in a post will be met with fierce defense.

Having said that I viewed your post in its purest form, meaning that you were posing a question as to what was instigating rent increases? I happen to agree with you and often wondered why this issue of rent seems to be a reoccurring and ongoing conversation here.. .. At least for the 10 years I have been here.

I do not know what market forces drives these increases but it does have a material affect on commercial renters.

As a sidebar and I can tell you that doctors are frustrated because they continue to get closer scrutiny from government and insurance regulators, additional demands for more documentation while both of the aforementioned demand they work for less.

All of this superficiality has a negative affect on both doctor and patient.

Thank you for sharing this information with us.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 05-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Something must be wrong with every business that leaves/closes in TV. Now it's doctors that can't run their business. These doctors are all making excuses and blaming the developer for poor business management. It could not possibly be the developer and their business tactics. Some people are just too mesmerized by TV to even think rationally about it. The developer can do anything in their eyes, as long as they can afford to live in their fairyland. Even the $40 million settlement caused many to dislike the POA. How pathetic is that? An organization with the homeowners best interest in mind forced the developer to accept responsibility for their actions/inactions, and some make the POA out as the bad guys. Only a blind person could not see the strong arm business tactics at play in so many different circumstances. TV is great! But that doesn't mean the developer isn't going to try to get every dime out of you he can get.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
....TV is great! But that doesn't mean the developer isn't going to try to get every dime out of you he can get.
That is correct....as a matter of fact, that is the business he is in. But, don't forget, he can't get anything out of you that you don't give him.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Forty two you say?
That's what my Dr. said
Old 05-18-2016, 02:22 PM
Default Village developers

Whereas I understand the risk and reward principle of economics it seems unfortunately like it is just plain greed now.

1) no or little diversity of stores in the squares pretty much.
2) no new recreational venues such as bowling alleys etc which are lacking on the south side.
3) an assisted living facility on just about every corner. They can afford the high rent.
4) sorry to see private physicians and independent businesses pushed out.

Is this a great place? Yes but will greed ruin it? TBD.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMike View Post
That's what my Dr. said
Do you suppose he is part of a group that negotiates rental prices and hires office staff AND doctors?

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-18-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:03 PM
Sage

I am kinda sorry now I took down most of my posts. I still don't see the point that the OP was trying to make.

Common sense does not support a conspiracy to have doctors not part of The Villages Health System forced to move by higher rents.

Bogie Shooter is very good at Common Sense. Yes he is.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
That is correct....as a matter of fact, that is the business he is in. But, don't forget, he can't get anything out of you that you don't give him.
This is the crux of the matter.

And that if the product isn't good, people won't buy it.

If living elsewhere in FL or the USA were better and more cost-effective than here, people would be moving there and not here.

That's the beauty of a free enterprise economy versus a state-owned one. Work, live and save where you want to; and then retire and stay solvent where you want to.

Nobody is forced to operate a business/medical practice or live in The Villages. And nobody is forced to have their doctors only inside or outside the TV boundaries.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by togabill View Post
Whereas I understand the risk and reward principle of economics it seems unfortunately like it is just plain greed now.

1) no or little diversity of stores in the squares pretty much.
2) no new recreational venues such as bowling alleys etc which are lacking on the south side.
3) an assisted living facility on just about every corner. They can afford the high rent.
4) sorry to see private physicians and independent businesses pushed out.

Is this a great place? Yes but will greed ruin it? TBD.

Whoa Bill. Do you really understand how Commercial Real Estate works? They do try to not rent to duplicate businesses and probably do give preference to people who have a history with them that pay their rent. How do you think they "get" a bowling alley??? The answer is that the bowling alley needs to want to come to that area, has the money to build a place and begin a location.

The assisted living facilities probably want to come to this area because we have a lot of senior citizens getting older.

No one has proved to me or made any valid arguments to me that physicians are getting forced out and I am not going to sit here and allow rumors without basis go unchallenged. I don't care that you all know I am a huge fan of the developers. I could do much worse. Greed, phooey. It is just mostly that people don't know how things work. Everyone should be forced to take some courses on business and economics. The real world is not run on whims and wants..... AND charity.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Nor can an armed robber. As an example, the water treatment facility for homes north of 466 were originally owned by the developer, funded by tax exempt bonds, I think. During that time, water was relatively inexpensive. After all the homes were sold (each including the "infrastructure bond" supposedly to pay for infrastructure), and the developer had very little business opportunities north of 466, the water facility was sold for $$$millions. Shortly after the sale, water rates about doubled! Or so the story was told by the people who bought here initially and are still living here. I wasn't here then, so I am relaying this. I have no reason to believe these homeowners are lying. They said they fought the new facility owners for quite some time, but finally gave up. Are they happy to be here? Yes. Do they think they got screwed years later with these types of underhanded tactics to squeeze a few more $$$? Yes! I know. Some will accuse me and the people telling this story of jealousy of the developer's success. That's fine. Maybe if they say it enough, they will believe it.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Well this has been a fun way to pass a very hot afternoon. There really is a real world out there and I am entering it right now.................

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-18-2016, 03:53 PM

My Dr is one of the moving and yes we did actually discuss this in his office
At 2000 a month that's $24000 a year. To any ordinary business that is a very large jump in expenses or loss of income. I am one that thinks that greed IS part of the problem. At the end of the day most of us will still say we live in a very nice place and we do but the bottom line still tells me that the developer does what is best for them and not what is best for us 99% of the time.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 05-18-2016, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmemac View Post
My Dr is one of the moving and yes we did actually discuss this in his office
At 2000 a month that's $24000 a year. To any ordinary business that is a very large jump in expenses or loss of income. I am one that thinks that greed IS part of the problem. At the end of the day most of us will still say we live in a very nice place and we do but the bottom line still tells me that the developer does what is best for them and not what is best for us 99% of the time.
This is probably true, however....what's best for them is also good for us in ways like:

- retaining and increasing our property values for when we or our inheriting children sell our homes;

- maintaining pristine conditions of all buildings, roads, retail and medical buildings etc. which add vitality and not depressing surroundings to our daily lives;

- operating The Villages (Public) Charter School system K-12 to attract motivated, young workers in professions and trades to work in TV;

- operating the "medical home" concept of primary care in The Villages Health system in which doctors are paid a flat salary so they can spend time with patients (which is subsidized by the developers, now probably applying the royalties from United Healthcare marketing the TV Medicare Advantage plans, while AARP collects millions in such royalties and uses them for other things not in TV).

Etc....

What's good for the developer and what's good for us are often the same things.

In the end, we can choose to live elsewhere.

Last edited by goodtimesintv; 05-18-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Nor can an armed robber. As an example, the water treatment facility for homes north of 466 were originally owned by the developer, funded by tax exempt bonds, I think. During that time, water was relatively inexpensive. After all the homes were sold (each including the "infrastructure bond" supposedly to pay for infrastructure), and the developer had very little business opportunities north of 466, the water facility was sold for $$$millions. Shortly after the sale, water rates about doubled! Or so the story was told by the people who bought here initially and are still living here. I wasn't here then, so I am relaying this. I have no reason to believe these homeowners are lying. They said they fought the new facility owners for quite some time, but finally gave up. Are they happy to be here? Yes. Do they think they got screwed years later with these types of underhanded tactics to squeeze a few more $$$? Yes! I know. Some will accuse me and the people telling this story of jealousy of the developer's success. That's fine. Maybe if they say it enough, they will believe it.

We have been here for nine years and our water bills or water company have not changed. It is much less expensive than Butler County, Ohio. It's all relative. I have heard a lot of tall tales from folks here that didn't pan out. Do you suppose they were talking about Duke Energy changing to Seco?

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-18-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
village, rent, doctors, independent, property

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.