slow ambulance service today

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Veteran member

I would bet the Rec Center has an AED machine, as most rec centers and public buildings here do.

I'm sure the sport pool at the rec center has an Emergency Phone that's a land line, near the pool equipment room and locker room doors. I'd keep that in mind and call from that phone first, or in addition to cellular call to 911.

I hope from seeing these reports, that residents too cheap to contribute a few bucks a year--to their neighborhood, volunteer AED equipment, responder training and dispatch costs--wake up and see that the fire department amubulances could be out on other calls already. This is why the dozens of effective neighborhood AED groups have been formed, and why the survival rate here in TV is much higher than anywhere else!
Old 09-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmendelsohn View Post
cardiac arrest at rohan today during morning pickleball league. someone called 911 and it took 30 minutes for ambulance to arrive. Medical personel when asked to hurry said "we don't hurry for anyone."
Goodtimesintv's comment is extremely important and bears repeating.

I hope from seeing these reports, that residents too cheap to contribute a few bucks a year--to their neighborhood, volunteer AED equipment, responder training and dispatch costs--wake up and see that the fire department amubulances could be out on other calls already. This is why the dozens of effective neighborhood AED groups have been formed, and why the survival rate here in TV is much higher than anywhere else!

Last edited by Barefoot; 09-21-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

They had to shock him twice with the AED. That is what saved his life.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
They had to shock him twice with the AED. That is what saved his life.
Who used the AED on him?

The paramedics, or a person present who got one from the rec center?

I'm glad he was saved.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have called 911 once and two different units arrived in less than 5 or 6 minutes. I was still on the phone with 911 when the first unit arrived. 30 minutes is too long when you are in an emergency situation but let's not forget that our emergency people get an extrodararie amount of calls due to the age of our population. .
Old 09-21-2016, 08:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Looking for EMS response times, I searched the districtgov.org web site. In the public safety departments information under annual reports, the most current information they have is for 2013. In 2013, the Villages safety department seemed to imply that they handled EMS runs. Emergency medical services is an integral part of the Departments operation both internally and externally. Nearly 63% of our emergency calls are for medical services thats almost 26 calls per day . I could not find any reference to response times.

So, they are there first to await a private company to transport the patient?

TVPSD RESPONDS IMMEDIATELY with a rescue crew involving paramedics/professional first responders. Their avg response time is about 6 minutes. A private ambulance company responds to transport the patient after TVPSD has stabilized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 PM
Sage
Default slow ambulance service today

Quote:
cardiac arrest at rohan today during morning pickleball league. someone called 911 and it took 30 minutes for ambulance to arrive. Did not seem to be in any hurry. Gentleman still in ICU. if it had not been for people on court giving cpr probably a different sad story. This was my second experience with pickleball player going down on courts and slow ambulance service. Medical personel when asked to hurry said "we don't hurry for anyone." Dont get hurt in villages.

This an inappropriate and inadequate explanation of the event. The process here in TV is that paramedics/professional first responders from TVPSD respond in a rescue truck (typically) or fire engine within an average of 6 minutes. These are the folks you want there ASAP. They will treat and stabilize - which can take awhile. The ambulance arrives secondarily to transport the patient.

The comment about "don't get hurt in villages" is bologna. If you drop from a cardiac arrest, the national recovery average is about 5%. In TV it is greater than 45% because of the number of residents trained in CPR/AED and TVPSD. The initial responders in the Rohan situation made a lifesaving difference. God bless them.

The immediate response by TVPSD, within 6 minutes, with the necessary drugs and treatment, made all the difference in the world.

If you don't know what you are talking about please don't make comments about things that you don't understand. Initial responders and the TVPSD response were timely and appropriate. We are very fortunate to have such a well organized, trained, and professional group here if we need them.

My comments are based on my knowledge of the system and discussion with TVPSD leaders today.

Last edited by dbussone; 09-21-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
All a bunch of speculation.

If OP or somebody that was there with first hand knowledge, would contact the Villages Fire Chief (as a starting point) to get some factual information as to why the call took 30 minutes. He should be able to provide contacts for the ambulance service.

The point being is this an isolated incident or a pattern.

Bogie - you are completely accurate. Unfortunately the OP has no idea of the process here, I do. And I spoke with TVPSD leaders today. I have addressed that in the post before this one.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:12 AM
Sage

For those wondering how the individual is doing, I'm going to copy a portion of an email he sent on the 21st:

" I suffered a cardiac event on Monday 9-19 down at Rohan Rec Center. I passed out from being in v-tach. The group I was with started CPR and hooked me up to the AED that shocked me and then the medics arrived. I am going home tomorrow."

Great news that he is doing well - thanks to CPR/AED trained Villagers, and our very professional first responders from TVPSD. I pray for his continuing improvement.

If YOU have not been trained in CPR/AED, please consider it. You can make a difference. Classes are offered by TVPSD and CERT on a regular basis.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
This an inappropriate and inadequate explanation of the event. The process here in TV is that paramedics/professional first responders from TVPSD respond in a rescue truck (typically) or fire engine within an average of 6 minutes. These are the folks you want there ASAP. They will treat and stabilize - which can take awhile. The ambulance arrives secondarily to transport the patient.

The comment about "don't get hurt in villages" is bologna. If you drop from a cardiac arrest, the national recovery average is about 5%. In TV it is greater than 45% because of the number of residents trained in CPR/AED and TVPSD. The initial responders in the Rohan situation made a lifesaving difference. God bless them.

The immediate response by TVPSD, within 6 minutes, with the necessary drugs and treatment, made all the difference in the world.

If you don't know what you are talking about please don't make comments about things that you don't understand. Initial responders and the TVPSD response were timely and appropriate. We are very fortunate to have such a well organized, trained, and professional group here if we need them.

My comments are based on my knowledge of the system and discussion with TVPSD leaders today.

Thanks for the great post. I agree with the underlined.
You talked to the right people, got the facts and shared on TOTV.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Thumbs down

Quote:
cardiac arrest at rohan today during morning pickleball league. someone called 911 and it took 30 minutes for ambulance to arrive. Did not seem to be in any hurry. Gentleman still in ICU. if it had not been for people on court giving cpr probably a different sad story. This was my second experience with pickleball player going down on courts and slow ambulance service. Medical personel when asked to hurry said "we don't hurry for anyone." Dont get hurt in villages.
Utter fantasy.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:17 PM

Hi everyone, I'm the person who went down at the Rohan Pickleball courts on Monday morning. I want everyone to know that I greatly and eternally appreciate the response of the Pickleball players, the staff from Rohan Rec Center, the Sumter County EMS and the TVPS. As a past medic and current member of CERT I know how the system operates and the great effectiveness of it as I am living proof that it works the way it should.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm the person who went down at the Rohan Pickleball courts on Monday morning. I want everyone to know that I greatly and eternally appreciate the response of the Pickleball players, the staff from Rohan Rec Center, the Sumter County EMS and the TVPS. As a past medic and current member of CERT I know how the system operates and the great effectiveness of it as I am living proof that it works the way it should.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Certainly glad you made through this incident BUT 30 minute response time....not acceptable. The 6 minute PR response time is a "mean" average that excludes abnormalities such as this. Thats fine as long as you or I are not the person waiting for an EMT.

Highly suggest you contact Chief Cain to find out what really happened that resulted in a delayed response ! He can then add the findings to his collection to improve things.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Excellent to hear you are doing well!

Not that it really matters in the big scheme of things (you surviving is the most important), but conflicting posts have me confused.

Did it in fact take the 'professionals' 30 minutes to get there while other Villagers took care of you, or were there other 'professional' first responders there in 6 minutes...and it was only the ambulance that took 30 minutes to arrive?

Anyway, once again it doesn't really matter as you being well enough to come on here and post...is all that really matters.
Closed Thread

Tags
hurry, ambulance, pickleball, slow, today

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.