United health care

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran member
Default United health care

My understanding from UHC at Sumter Landing is they will be the only insurance accepted at The Villages clinics. Doesn't sound like a good thing to me.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Gold member

Oh boy, alot of people will have to be on move again for a new doctor. Wonder if that includes PCP members?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:48 AM

ouch....health care being controlled or manipulated...I guess for freedom of choice you will need to go elsewhere.

Wonder if it's true tho....
Old 10-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Sage

The many accepted insurance plans are listed on the TV Health website:

Accepted Insurance by The Villages Health

It seems to me that it would be misrepresentation to tell consumers UHC is the only one accepted by the TVHealth system clinics.

If you are told that, I would contact the state insurance department that regulates the insurance industry and trade practices.

Seeing the banner "The Medicare Store" on these United Healthcare offices in TV bothers me a lot.

In the past, all insurance mailings and advertising had to have disclaimers saying this was not a U.S. government Medicare office or product.

This store name sounds fishy to me.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Sage

Here-say and rumors asked here...also speculation won't give facts of the matter. My opinion would be to actually make an appointment with the UHC office AND the Villages Ins. office to weigh your options! I doubt the USF clinics will put all their eggs (so to speak) in one basket!! NOT good for business IMHO.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
My understanding from UHC at Sumter Landing is they will be the only insurance accepted at The Villages clinics. Doesn't sound like a good thing to me.
They will be the only Medicare Advantage plan accepted. If you have regular Medicare, with or without a supplement, you will be OK. The link that ilovetv provided explains it all.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:05 PM

We were gonna go to the seminar on Sept 19 about UHC and Medicare in the Savannah center but, we had to cancel.
Did any of you go?
Was there anything major said?
We happen to have United Healthcare ( i am a retired Ga educator), and my husband has been dealing w very expensive serious health issues for yrs
UHC has been terrific thru and thru.
Really truly no complaints.
But i am not familiar w how UHC will function w TV healthcare...It could be different
Insurance gets trickier every yr.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
They will be the only Medicare Advantage plan accepted. If you have regular Medicare, with or without a supplement, you will be OK. The link that ilovetv provided explains it all.
Yes, that is correct. AndPCP is owned by UHC
Old 10-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Sage

However PCP has been discontinued in this area (you should have received your letter) and United Health Care Managed Care The Villages is one option.

Also please keep in mind these stores are advertised as UNITED HEALTH CARE Medicare Stores. They only sell medicare products United Health offers.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:30 PM

As a retired fed, I have GEHA (First Health in Florida), not yet eligible for Medicare, and have never had a problem with this insurance in other Florida Counties or anywhere in the US. However I am finding that the doctors here do not accept this insurance and those that did who are now going to be part of USF, have cancelled this insurance as of Oct 1. Seems that I am having to go up to Ocala to find doctors since they don't seem to have a problem there with this insurance. I have heard others say (who do not have the same insurance as me) that they are starting to have problems with their insurance being accepted also. Seems like TV is not so friendly when it comes to medical care.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Platinum member

So.....I have United Health care PPO. I received a letter today stating that FOUR (4) of the dr's I have seen this past year are no longer accepting UHC. I thought I made the right decision when I took UHC instead of one of the HMO plans that gave back the Medicare payment......guess it's back to the drawing board......
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemom View Post
As a retired fed, I have GEHA (First Health in Florida), not yet eligible for Medicare, and have never had a problem with this insurance in other Florida Counties or anywhere in the US. However I am finding that the doctors here do not accept this insurance and those that did who are now going to be part of USF, have cancelled this insurance as of Oct 1. Seems that I am having to go up to Ocala to find doctors since they don't seem to have a problem there with this insurance. I have heard others say (who do not have the same insurance as me) that they are starting to have problems with their insurance being accepted also. Seems like TV is not so friendly when it comes to medical care.
We have the FEP Blue plan and have had no problems anywhere in the US.

GEHA is spotty at best in many areas of the country, as is true for several other plans (such as the plans serviced by Aetna). Aetna is apparently accepted in the Jacksonville area, but doesn't feel that it is worth signing up providers in this area. The problem is most often that the servicing carrier decides to not sign up doctors in an area rather than the docs all getting together and dumping the carrier. Stop and think for a moment - do you really think that all of the docs in TV got together and dumped GEHA or Aetna?

Open season will be here shortly (assuming that OPM gets an appropriation before Christmas). I'd suggest dumping GEHA and switching to BCBS or any other major plan widely accepted in the area.

Last edited by Bizdoc; 10-02-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 10-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
After reading lots of posts about the new clinics and hearing people talk about them, I found in virtually every case that the person "heard from a friend" or "was told by a neighbor". None of which have been true. If you want to know about the clinics, I suggest that you actually talk to either (1) the staff at the clinic or (2) someone who actually uses the clinic. Relying upon an insurance sales person for unbiased information is, well, risky at best. The friend of a friend of a friend (who is rarely named) is not the best possible source.

UHC is the only *Medicare Supplement* which Villages Health will bill for you.
They have made a business decision to limit the supplement plans, most likely because the plans all want to cover different things at different rates making billing a nightmare. They also have a bad habit of flitting in and out of markets (like PCP).

You can still have someone else as your Medicare supplement, but you will have to send in your own bills.

They accept non-Medicare supplement health insurance (as listed on their web site) and will bill them for you.

For what it is worth, I have encountered doctors and dentists in a number of places who won't bill any insurance companies. A significant number of doctors don't do Medicare any longer. Of course, no one is forcing you to use them.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran member

I was at the PCP office yesterday-The staff were all wearing United Health Care shirts-the rep told me the Villages new system like the one at Colony will only accept UHC if you have the kind of policy that is the advantage plan-if you have a policy that is not an advantage type then I don't know what they accept-the UHC advantage plan policy gives no money back to you like PCP did although the network has increased in the size of the area covered-you have the choice of many more doctors and dentists-dentists were a problem with PCP
Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
They [UHC] will be the only Medicare Advantage plan accepted. If you have regular Medicare, with or without a supplement, you will be OK. The link that ilovetv provided explains it all.
When United Health Care first came onto the scene, it was announced that The Villages Health Clinics had formed an alliance with them. But there was no comprehensive explanation of what form that alliance took. I suppose if they wanted us to know, they would have told us, but they didn't. At least they didn't as far as I know.

If it's left to one's imagination, here's what I imagine: United Health Care either owns The Villages Health Clinics (business) already, or soon will as build-out continues. The alliance consists of the developer building the clinics (buildings) and leasing them to UHC. It fits the developer's model. It's like building a shopping center and leasing space to Winn Dixie or Publix.

This explains why, as champion6 says, they only accept United Health Care HMO. And if they decide to accept another plan by a different name, it will be because they own it.

Let me know (I'm sure you will) if you have more accurate information from a reliable source. Thanks.

Last edited by Villages PL; 10-03-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.