Vaccine Advice for Villager

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Default Vaccine Advice for Villager

Is anyone aware of an economical Shingles Vaccine? I do not have insurance that will pay for this shot. I have been checking and it costs over $200.00. Is there a community health center in the vicinity that offers the Shingles vaccine for a reasonable price? I do not have Medicare D.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:18 PM

call Dr Woodard's office on Rolling Acres.They just require an office visit. It cost me my co pay $35!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

Yes, it may be over $200, but if, and I say IF you get Shingles the ensuing pain and discomfort for however long you have it will be enough to make you wish you spent what was necessary.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I paid $200 for my shingles vaccination a few years ago and am glad I did so. My mother, an aunt (my father's sister) and several people I know have suffered or are suffering with shingles. It is terribly painful and debilitating! If you had chicken pox, get it!

I also paid for Hep A and B vaccinations.

These vaccinations are no brainers.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Sage

Wherever we've lived around the country, the county health department gives vaccines at low cost, and this should be the first place a person looks. So often, medical care at low or no cost is available thru the county department.

This web page linked shows the fee schedule for Sumter County vaccinations for $15, and the Shingles vaccine is listed:

http://www.sumtercountyfl.gov/Agenda...65?fileID=7158

Also see other fees for health services available there. And check Marion and Lake Counties' health departments, too.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Wherever we've lived around the country, the county health department gives vaccines at low cost, and this should be the first place a person looks. So often, medical care at low or no cost is available thru the county department.

This web page linked shows the fee schedule for Sumter County vaccinations for $15, and the Shingles vaccine is listed:

http://www.sumtercountyfl.gov/Agenda...65?fileID=7158

Also see other fees for health services available there. And check Marion and Lake Counties' health departments, too.
You read that wrong...
The cost at the health department is the cost of the vaccine including any shipping or handling cost with an ADDITIONAL charge of $15. Thus if the cost for the health department to acquire the vaccine is $200 the charge to the patient is $215.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I paid $200 for my shingles vaccination a few years ago and am glad I did so. My mother, an aunt (my father's sister) and several people I know have suffered or are suffering with shingles. It is terribly painful and debilitating! If you had chicken pox, get it!

I also paid for Hep A and B vaccinations.

These vaccinations are no brainers.
Definitely consider the shingles vaccination but also be aware the vaccinations are only 50% effective.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
You read that wrong...
The cost at the health department is the cost of the vaccine including any shipping or handling cost with an ADDITIONAL charge of $15. Thus if the cost for the health department to acquire the vaccine is $200 the charge to the patient is $215.
I see that now that you point it out. However, I wouldn't assume the health department's cost is $200 until we ask them by phone. Typically the county health departments' charges to the patient are quite low, comparatively.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Gold member

I was also told around 200 for the shot. My doc said it was well worth the money. I will be getting mine next week.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:43 AM
Sage

The vaccine manufacturer has their Vaccine Patient Assistance Program here, to help those without insurance or inability to self-pay, and the Shingles vaccine is listed (zostavax).

It's always a good idea to look for these programs with manufacturers (and sometimes very expensive drug assistance from mfr. is not based on income nor insured status while still under patent).

See: Merck Vaccine Patient Assistance Program

The Sumter Health Dept. gives the vaccine for $174 and Wildwood office does them. They said to come in to make sure it's appropriate for the particular patient, and they order it in.

The other counties give it too....didn't get their price.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Sage

I got the Shingles shot when I was 62 at my PCP office and it was covered.

If yours isn't, I would like you to consider the cost as opposed to suffering terribly if you don't get it. My uncle got it at 97 years old and it made his last two years, a living he**.

I may be wrong but I believe you only need it once.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I got the Shingles shot when I was 62 at my PCP office and it was covered.

If yours isn't, I would like you to consider the cost as opposed to suffering terribly if you don't get it. My uncle got it at 97 years old and it made his last two years, a living he**.

I may be wrong but I believe you only need it once.
I found this info when we were considering the vaccine.

Current estimates say the shingles vaccine may be effective for 6 years at least, it could be longer in some individual cases, a booster shot may be given to patients after 6 years. While the vaccine is most effective in protecting those ages 60 to 69, it has been shown to reduce symptoms in older persons.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.