Whole front page The Villages Daily Sun "Tiger invades Liverpool"

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoe View Post
How about this for a headline:

McIIroy in Line to Match Woods and Nicklaus with Three Majors by Age 25!

..a bit more positive to wake up to Sunday morning!
Actually, he's only one of three players to have won three OR MORE majors by age 25. Tiger had won five, a masters, a US Open, one British Open and two PGA Championships by age 25.

Nicklaus had won four by that age. Two Masters, one US Open and one PGA Championship.

The only other player to have won three by age 25 is Raymond Floyd.

Tiger had also won 24 total US PGA Tour events by that age compared to seven by Rory.

I like Rory a lot, but there's no comparison to Tiger or Jack. He doesn't consistently dominate every week like Tiger and Jack did. He is however the youngest person ever to get to three majors. And he is certainly a bright light on the PGA tour.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Actually, he's only one of three players to have won three OR MORE majors by age 25. Tiger had won five, a masters, a US Open, one British Open and two PGA Championships by age 25.

Nicklaus had won four by that age. Two Masters, one US Open and one PGA Championship.

The only other player to have won three by age 25 is Raymond Floyd.

Tiger had also won 24 total US PGA Tour events by that age compared to seven by Rory.

I like Rory a lot, but there's no comparison to Tiger or Jack. He doesn't consistently dominate every week like Tiger and Jack did. He is however the youngest person ever to get to three majors. And he is certainly a bright light on the PGA tour.
Nicklaus had one three by age 23, Woods had three by 24....McIlroy is 25. That makes him the third youngest, not the youngest. Raymond Floyd was 40 when he won his third major. Didn't win his first one until he was 26.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
...The only other player to have won three by age 25 is Raymond Floyd...
I saw Raymond Floyd win his first tournament in person, he was 20 years old and I was 13. I started playing golf in 1962 and I grew up in St. Petersburg. I went to the 1963 St. Petersburg Open and Ray Floyd was the winner. The entire purse was $25,000 and first prize was $2,500. I had Tommy Bolt golf clubs, so I followed Tommy Bolt and Dave Marr, who was a very quiet fellow and never smiled, just the opposite of Tommy. 1964 was the last year of the St. Petersburg Open, it was replaced on the tour by the Jacksonville Open.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
Nicklaus had one three by age 23, Woods had three by 24....McIlroy is 25. That makes him the third youngest, not the youngest. Raymond Floyd was 40 when he won his third major. Didn't win his first one until he was 26.
Of course you're right. My mistake. I think that the stat that I was thinking of was that Woods, Nicklaus and Floyd are the only ones ever to win two majors wire to wire. I think that Rory is the youngest is to do that.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.