Athens NY Restaurant Closing Nov. 8

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2015, 04:58 AM
Sage
Unhappy Athens NY Restaurant Closing Nov. 8

Even though I'm just a wannabee, I always stop at Athens NY Restaurant in Spanish Springs when I visit The Villages. I got on their email list a while back. This morning the owners of Athens NY Restaurant emailed that they are closing this coming Sunday, Nov. 8.

According to the email: "Our lease is coming to an end, and we have tried to work with The Villages to renew it. However, they have other plans for this space and decided not to renew our lease." Then the email goes on to thank the customers for their patronage and to invite them to their two other restaurants in Groveland and Apopka. They will continue to cater events in The Villages out of the Groveland restaurant.

If you have a balance on a gift card, the owners said they will refund your balance if you send an email to: athensnyrestaurant@yahoo.com.

I always enjoyed the meals I had at Athens NY Restaurant, and I loved sitting at an outside table and watching the people pass by on the square. A loss for those who like to eat out in The Villages. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 11-03-2015 at 05:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-03-2015, 06:02 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

That's just sad. Thanks for the head's up.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-03-2015, 06:08 AM

One the better places to eat in that square, enjoyed the food.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:14 AM
Email Reported As Spam

According to the email: "Our lease is coming to an end, and we have tried to work with The Villages to renew it. However, they have other plans for this space and decided not to renew our lease."

The VLSI Invisible Hand
Old 11-03-2015, 07:03 AM
Gold member

I have never been to Athens but it was on my "short list" for our next trip to TV. Especially since it is close to where we will be staying. It makes me wonder why TV wouldn't work with an established business rather than bringing in an unknown entity.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
According to the email: "Our lease is coming to an end, and we have tried to work with The Villages to renew it. However, they have other plans for this space and decided not to renew our lease."

The VLSI Invisible Hand

What does VLSI Invisible Hand mean?
Old 11-03-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
I have never been to Athens but it was on my "short list" for our next trip to TV. Especially since it is close to where we will be staying. It makes me wonder why TV wouldn't work with an established business rather than bringing in an unknown entity.
Rather disconcerting to see how The Villages Owners can remove a very successful tenant in the blink of an eye. I don't know the details but the Restaurant will be sorely missed as another nail (IMHO) will be hammered into a coffin by unscrupulous Villages ownership that some of you continue to sing the praises of no matter what they do. Best of luck to Chris and his family in their other two locations. Where will we get our Zwiegles Hot Dogs now?
Old 11-03-2015, 07:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

The VLSI Invisible Hand

I found it;

DEFINITION of 'Invisible Hand'

A term coined by economist Adam Smith in his 1776 book "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations". In his book he states:
"Every individual necessarily labours to render the annual revenue of the society as great as he can. He generally neither intends to promote the public interest, nor knows how much he is promoting it ... He intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention. Nor is it always the worse for society that it was no part of his intention. By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it. I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the public good."
Thus, the invisible hand is essentially a natural phenomenon that guides free markets and capitalism through competition for scarce resources.

Read more: Invisible Hand Definition | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/...#ixzz3qQk4yynq
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook
Old 11-03-2015, 07:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post

Exactly. It could be that it wasn't going well. Two restaurants on that square are closing. Maybe the owner is getting older and wants to retire. Isn't he in his seventies? An established business that pays it's rent on time is very desirable. Why would you want a new one?

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-03-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Sage

Athens appeared to be doing very well. The OP mentioned that TV wouldn't renew their lease because they had other plans for the location.

One of our favorites.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-03-2015, 07:53 AM
Sage

I'm not sure how old the owner of Athens are, but they (Christopher and Amber Kitrinos) did mention in their email that they have had two daughters since opening Athens 5 years ago. I did love the breakfasts at Athens.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Exactly. It could be that it wasn't going well. Two restaurants on that square are closing. Maybe the owner is getting older and wants to retire. Isn't he in his seventies? An established business that pays it's rent on time is very desirable. Why would you want a new one?
You are wrong on all counts. The business is very successful. The Owner is in his forties, its his Father who is in his sixties. There is more than meets the eye to this story so suggest unless you know the facts that you stop posting erroneous information. My guess is the TV does not wnat them around to compete with Katie Belles when it reopens.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

ATHENS NY RESTAURANT

THANK YOU!

It's been an incredible 5 years here in The Villages but it's time to say goodbye. Our lease is coming to an end and we have tried to work with The Villages to renew it. However they have other plans for this space and decided not to renew our lease. Our doors will be closing this Sunday 11/8.

We wanted to take a minute to say Thank you to everyone for their support. Majority of you have been with us since our doors opened. You have seen us grow into what we have become. You have been with us during the births of our two beautiful daughters and have given us nothing but love and support. We will be forever grateful.

We would love for you to join us at our other locations to still enjoy your breakfast and lunch. Our new establishments are called Flapjack Johnny's. We have two locations Groveland and Apopka. They are open Mon-Sun 7am to 2:30pm. Our Groveland location will also be opened on Friday nights for dinner until 9pm. Come and enjoy our Famous Haddock Fish Fry. So if you are ever in the area please stop on by to see us.

Our catering will still be opened but just out of our Flapjack Johnny's Groveland location. We will continue to cater events in The Villages and surrounding areas.

Once our doors close on Sunday and you have a balance on your gift card, please email us with your name, address and gift card number and we will be more than happy to refund your balance.

Our email address is athensnyrestaurant@yahoo.com

Once again on behalf of our family and staff Thank You from the bottom of our hearts for all of your support.

Sincerely,

Christopher & Amber Kitrinos

Owners

Athens NY Restaurant

Flapjack Johnny's Groveland

7432 Hwy 50 Suite 103

Groveland, FL

Flapjack Johnny's Apopka

2171 E Semoran Blvd

Apopka, FL

(In the Wekiva Riverwalk Plaza. Next to Marshall's)
Old 11-03-2015, 08:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
You are wrong on all counts. The business is very successful. The Owner is in his forties, its his Father who is in his sixties. There is more than meets the eye to this story so suggest unless you know the facts that you stop posting erroneous information. My guess is the TV does not wnat them around to compete with Katie Belles when it reopens.
Seems to me that each poster has as much right to post their opinion as you do. Your constant negativity toward the developer is your opinion, and likely erroneous, but you still have the right post it, don't you?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
I would think, just as you, everyone is free to post their opinions.

Tags
restaurant, athens, villages, email, coming, balance, groveland, lease, owners, renew, nov, closing, refund, send, meals, enjoyed, card, gift, events, cater, continue, back, emailed, loved, loss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.