Authentic Mexican Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Default Authentic Mexican Restaurant

Can anyone recommend a good, authentic Mexican restaurant actually owned and run by someone from Mexico within 20 minutes of TV?
Old 09-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dloridami View Post
Can anyone recommend a good, authentic Mexican restaurant actually owned and run by someone from Mexico within 20 minutes of TV?
Depends on what you mean by authentic. People from Texas have their idea which is much different from my experience in SoCal. For me, the closest to the food I enjoyed is Latinos y Mas in Ocala.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:41 PM

Latinos y Mas is wonderful. It is more Latin fusion or Cuban than Mexican. There are many small Mexican restaurants in strip malls on 27/441 going toward Ocala. I don't know how they are or how they would stack up to what you are used to.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:41 PM

we're from Waukesha, WI. and we enjoyed several truly authentic Mexican restaurants which were actually owned by immigrants from Mexico which were really great.....Serrano's, Casa del Rio, La Estacion, etc. That's what I'm talking about. Really family owned authentic Mexican rests.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:35 PM

Want good Mexican? Go to the new construction area off of hillsbough, and they will be a coach there with the best street Mexican food you can find around here. Tacos $1.50
Better than anyplace around here.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 PM

Try Fiesta Grande Mexican Grill Colony Plaze 466A & Morse.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Location: Philadelphia PA, North Wildwood NJ, Village of Tamarind Grove - June 2011

I would recommend Azteca Restaurant in Wildwood. I love their food and the prices are reasonable. They are located in the shopping center where the Amish Furniture store and Post Office are located. They are only open for lunch during the week but are open Friday and Saturday for dinner. Give them a try. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveblood19 View Post
Want good Mexican? Go to the new construction area off of hillsbough, and they will be a coach there with the best street Mexican food you can find around here. Tacos $1.50
I so agree
Old 09-06-2014, 06:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashorecaroline View Post
I would recommend Azteca Restaurant in Wildwood. I love their food and the prices are reasonable. They are located in the shopping center where the Amish Furniture store and Post Office are located. They are only open for lunch during the week but are open Friday and Saturday for dinner. Give them a try. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Last time we went to Azteca they were out of business. Have they reopened? I must vote for Latino Y Mas in Ocala.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I kind of agree with mikeod. What exactly does authentic mean?

I once went to a restaurant that claimed authentic Italian food. I ordered their Beef Cacciatore. It was a disaster in many ways and the chef added insult to injury when he placed the dish on top of garlic mashed potatoes drying up all the sauce. Its basically a hunters stew and its draw is that you can take a slice of Italian bread and sponge up all the sauce. The manager claimed it was authentic I kidded with him and explained that I was a grade A American Italian and in my entire left I never saw one Italian cook who served it over mashed potatoes.

The chef was at the door as I left. He did apologize . I told him it was accepted and offered two suggestions to improve his Cacciatore dish less onions more wine.

Authentic by any other name does not equate to authentic and it is especially exacerbated when you have been reared by a mother, in this case, an Italian mother who could make Cacciatore that would satisify kings
Old 09-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Gold member

The Mexican Grill is our favorite too
Old 09-06-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
OK. You got my interest. Can you be a little more specific as to where this construction area is and when the coach is there? Street food has turned into the nouveau cuisine these days. Have often found street food to be authentic no matter what the ethnicity.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:27 PM

Love Azteca!
Old 09-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Veteran member

We loved Azteca, too, but understand that they have closed. Has anyone been there very recently?
Old 09-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
That is some of the best news I have heard in a while!!

I have tried ALL of the "Mexican" restaurants in the TV area and find all of them ok to marginal.

None are as good as Coyote Rojo, located at exit #314 (SR 48) which is the Bushnell exit. It is far, far superior. I agree that Latino Y Mas is the best around ... but also agree that it is not straight up Tex-Mex or even straight up Mexican for that matter. It is a sorta Mexican / Latin fusion.

I did notice a new taqueria in Belleview in a small strip center just south of Burger King ..... have not tried it yet, but will soon.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.