Credit Card Beware

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2015, 06:51 AM
Sage

If you give your credit card to any server & they "some how" lose it--call the police. This happened many, many years ago to a relative of mine. It was very strange the server had the same last name as my relative. Whadda ya think?
Old 12-21-2015, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We are also regulars at Bonefish and have been since they opened here, and for what it is worth, personally I think your reaction was "over the top". To accuse a server of scamming your card and to call over the manager and make a scene because it was in her pocket and not in the check folder was (to say the least) in poor taste and an over reaction.

I am sure this incident has gone down in Bonefish history as just another "only in the Villages folks!"

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-21-2015, 06:54 AM

I did NOT accuse the waitress of stealing. I told the mgr that it was very sloppy handling of a customer's credit card. I stand by my decision not to tip in this instance. Should I reward poor service, & a nearly 'missing' credit card? What would all of you who are bashing me do if your credit card wound up in the pocket of a waitress! Give her a large tip?!? I don't think so. I too have dined at Bonefish many times over the last four years, and have always had excellent food and service. I will be going back because I like it there, but I won't have that waitress again. I was relating one incident just to remind others to be aware of getting their credit card returned, especially during this hectic winter season. Also I will be more acutely aware at every place I go to be cognizant of the prompt return of my card.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
We are also regulars at Bonefish and have been since they opened here, and for what it is worth, personally I think your reaction was "over the top". To accuse a server of scamming your card and to call over the manager and make a scene because it was in her pocket and not in the check folder was (to say the least) in poor taste and an over reaction.

I am sure this incident has gone down in Bonefish history as just another "only in the Villages folks!"
Excuse me! I did NOT cause a scene. Where did you get that one? It's a little ridiculous how some people come on here and twist information. The mgr came over and quietly spoke to us, and I told him it was sloppy & shoddy handling of a credit card, and he agreed. I believe causing a scene would have involved yelling and cussing. And guess what I have had private messages with people saying that they would have called the police in that situation.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:06 AM
Platinum member

Sounds to me like an honest mistake. Some folks like to pay in restaurants with cash rather than let their credit cards out of their sight.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:12 AM

Yes I think I will start doing the cash thing. Also there are some places where they bring a scanner to your table, and places where you pay online at your table.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
I did NOT accuse the waitress of stealing. I told the mgr that it was very sloppy handling of a customer's credit card. I stand by my decision not to tip in this instance. Should I reward poor service, & a nearly 'missing' credit card? What would all of you who are bashing me do if your credit card wound up in the pocket of a waitress! Give her a large tip?!? I don't think so. I too have dined at Bonefish many times over the last four years, and have always had excellent food and service. I will be going back because I like it there, but I won't have that waitress again. I was relating one incident just to remind others to be aware of getting their credit card returned, especially during this hectic winter season. Also I will be more acutely aware at every place I go to be cognizant of the prompt return of my card.
What was this, then: "Guess what ...when the mgr revised the bill we tipped zero. I don't like being scammed!"
Old 12-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Platinum member

I'm betting it was a mistake on her part rather than an attempt to steal the card. Just like you, how many customers would actually walk out of the restaurant without making sure that the server had returned their card? If it was an attempt to steal the card, it had an extremely low chance for success. Other than the card incident, was the service she provided adequate?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Is there no room for someone making an honest mistake? I think not leaving a tip is over the top angry.
I agree.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
Thank you for reminder to check that card is returned.

As far as just call credit card company to replace, yes this is true, however when cards are stolen and used, WE pay in increased rates and/or costs. Just because most of us probably don't carry credit card balances, the cost is passed on to stores in higher cc rates charged by the companies and we pay it in the pass through cost of merchandise and/or services.

Again, thank you for the reminder.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Just a suggestion I ALWAYS follow .... when I use my credit card, I NEVER put my wallet away until the card is back inside. I'll lay it in front of me on a table / counter until the card is returned. You will be more likely to see your wallet and remember you are still waiting for your card.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

What if she put the folder in her pocket and the credit card slipped out into her pocket and she did not know it?

In most cases where the theft of a credit card is involved in resataurants and shops all they need is the card number, expiration date and security code.....the physical card is not required to make purchases.

So why would someone with an intent do such an obvious act as keeping the card in the hope the customer would not miss it? I doubt it seriously.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Gold member

Tis the Season.... be aware out there. Not everyone is honest.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Pay with cash, solves all problem's
Old 12-21-2015, 10:00 AM

The first and only time I've been to Bonefish, the service was just okay and it was busy. My opinion, it doesn't matter if it's busy if the waitperson is efficient! When the bills came (it was 8 women), we each got our bill (no error in getting the wrong bill). When we paid, the folders were returned to almost every incorrect person. I paid cash & received back about 4 dollars in change. (I gave them a $50). I finally got back the correct change after a 30 minute wait. Another person paid in cash and was still trying to get back the correct change when I left the restaurant. (by then, 45 minutes had gone by and I had another appointment that I had to get to). I have no idea what is up with the servers but perhaps they should have a different person cash people out and handle the cash and credit cards.
Closed Thread

Tags
card, credit, gave, back, bill, mgr, good, mistake, part, max, impressed, tipped, revised, scammed, large, opinion, fact, guess, upset, 15%, gee, girl, husband, minutes, food

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.